Where I keep my spare cats.

Old May 26th 17, 02:43 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PAS[_2_]

Default Where I keep my spare cats.

On 5/25/2017 6:37 PM, PeterN wrote:
On 5/24/2017 11:06 PM, gray_wolf wrote:
On 5/24/2017 9:28 AM, PAS wrote:
On 5/24/2017 7:42 AM, wrote:
On Fri, 19 May 2017 14:19:44 -0400, PAS wrote:

On 5/19/2017 1:29 PM, David B. wrote:
On 5/19/2017 6:13 PM, PAS wrote:
[....]
My wife and I have been, thankfully, spared the loss of a child.
But
we have lost some dogs over the years. My wife was not always the
dog lover I am. We got our first dog when our youngest of two sons
was an infant so she had her priorities and it wasn't a new dog,
that
was mine. Fast forward about 26 years and we got a dog after going
about five years without one. My wife named her Maya and she
was an
awesome dog. She was a bear-coat Shar Pei which you don't see
often

As a puppy:
http://www.pete-the-greek.com/Pets/Maya/i-WNFH8Rd/A

Full-grown: http://www.pete-the-greek.com/Pets/Maya/i-fp8xSGf/A
Wow! :-) I've never seen such a dog! Thanks for sharing the
photographs.

Maya died two years ago at the age of 5 1/2. To say my wife was
devastated is an understatement. She was attached to that dog in a
way I had never seen. There are days where I still find her crying
over Maya.
I'm saddened to learn of your loss. I, too, have cried over the loss
of my pets over the years. They do, as you know, become a part of
you.

They certainly do become part of us. We have two now, Bella and
Bubba.
Bubba is from the same litter as Maya was. Bella is six months
younger
from the same father but different mother. We haven't had Bubba
since
he was a pup, we only had Maya at the time. Bella came six months
later. A family on Long Island not far from us bought Bubba. Three
years ago they decided they had to give him up. The couple who
bought
him had a baby at the time and three years later had another one.
Her
mother was going to care for the two children while the mother
went back
to work but she was allergic to dogs so they gave him up. When you
buy
a dog from the breeder we got them from, you agree that if you
decide to
give up the dog for any reason then you must give the breeder first
opportunity to take the dog. The breeder is in North Carolina,
quite a
distance from Long Island. The couple was being difficult and
they were
adamant that they would give the breeder one week to come and get the
dog or else they would send him to a shelter. She was upset about
this
because she couldn't get to Long Island within a week - she has a
family
and a job and what-not to attend to. She asked us if we would take
Bubba until a suitable place was found for him. We agreed immediately
and after having him for a day, we decided we would keep him. He's a
timid dog but a good boy. I wonder what causes him to be so timid
because he avoids being pet most of the time, as if he is afraid. I
wonder how he was treated by his other family.

Stunning Shar Peis you have! I love the asian breeds Shar Pei, Akita
and Chow Chow. I've had Chows for the past 30+ years

A fellow hobbyist photog I know has a champion Chow-Chow he calls
Gus-Gus and he's a beautiful dog. On a shot where we met for the
first time, his wife came along and they brought the Chow-Chow they
had at the time. Those dogs have a reputation for being nasty but
their Chow-Chow was a friendly laid-back dog. Chow-Chows are on some
insurance company lists of breeds that, if the home owner has one,
the company will not provide homeowner's insurance for. I've met a
few Chow-Chows and none of them were nasty.

The name Gus-Gus sounds familiar. Do you recall the breeder's kennel
name?
There were some ill bred Chows in the '80s when they were very popular.
They are not a dog for idiots. They need to be socialized from a very
young age.
At times they have been the 'bad dog' of the press along with the
GSD, Rott, Dobe and
the current Pitt Bull. They don't accept abuse willingly and demand
respect. I never met one that was aggressively mean. Typically they
weren't friendly to strangers if I wasn't around. They weren't
generally fond of salesmen at the door either.

One of my friends chow had the wanderlust. It barely knew me, but when
he saw my car, he would happily jump right in, and bring him home.
When I was around he was a sweeet as could be, to everybody. His owner
was amazed, as with most others he was highly territorial. Go figger.

A lady I know has a Pug. They're a friendly breed but her Pug is very
wary of strangers and scared of them. The first time I went to her home
her dog wouldn't leave me alone, he even tried jumping on my lap.

Old May 27th 17, 01:48 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Diesel

-hh
Fri, 26
May 2017 01:19:43 GMT in rec.photo.digital, wrote:

Which merely means that I got some of my old IT history a bit
blended, by using the original name instead of the more recent
(and PC based) one.

It's not a 'more recent' name unless you think 1980 is recent...
and, it wasn't originated on PCs, either...Especially considering
that the first PC didn't arrive until 1981...The file format
originates on UNIX based systems, and, they weren't PCs in the IBM
compatible sense of the word...

http://www.catb.org/~esr/writings/ta...l/ch05s01.html

Case Study: .newsrc Format

Almost all Usenet news readers understand the .newsrc file, which
records which Usenet messages have been seen by the calling user.
Though it is named like a run-control file, it is not only read at
startup but typically updated at the end of the newsreader run. The
..newsrc format has been fixed since the first newsreaders around
1980.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IBM_PC_compatible

I'm not a regular of your newsgroup, so it's not dead to me, or
anyone else who comes across it for the first time, either. As I
wrote previously, this is usenet, not a chatroom.

And all posts have dates on them. Given that this is still a
reasonably active group, you had to deliberately go past the
active threads to go find the old ones. Given that your post
targeted me, it was motivationally nothing more than a troll
attempt. Quite lame & childishly petty.

You must have forgotten (I'm giving you the benefit of the doubt
here) how real usenet clients work, then. Until I mark a thread with
all posts as 'read', my client considers it active...If another post
is created in that thread, my client informs me; and, if a reply in
that thread is directed to me, it lets me know that too.

I don't have to go searching for replies, or threads that still
contain unread posts; it clearly shows them to me. I can see the
date of the threads initial creation, but, until I open the thread
and see the posts, I can't see individual dates with this client.
Oh, and it's not using my login (as GG does) to determine which
posts are for me. That's actually taken care of in the lefthand side
of the MID in my header..The right hand side is an FQDN that's generated
on the fly by another program I wrote that interfaces directly with Xnews. It's
one of several anti stalker methods I employ.

Because you use GG to post, it's very easy to 'track' your online
usenet activities. In fact, a single url bookmarked can keep anyone
interested not only uptodate on your posts, but see what other posts
you've written in any newsgroup GG allows access, as well. The same
cannot be said of mine. Go ahead, try the same feature on me, if
you'd like. Checkout what it thinks are posts from me, that will
turn out being posts from other people. GG can be 'fooled' easily
because of what's in my headers, that, you have no control over in
yours- Because you choose not to use a real client.

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!pr...KpIXMFwNFQi8Im

And mine:

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!ac...l/URZ6rz_ZAwAJ

Just click the calendar dates to see for yourself what I'm writing
about here. You'll find that with yours, google shows me YOUR posts
all the way back to 2005 in this newsgroup.

And if I click one of the numbers for that month, it shows me YOUR
posts.

Since your email address is 'fixed' and unique to you, it's even easier to do it this way:

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!search/huntzinger.com

Interestingly enough, You have quite a history on usenet yourself.
Hard to determine without some additional reading (and, I assure
you, I will) which of us has the worst reputation and in what ways.

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!se...s/HbhSUxjTTZcJ

but when you use the url for me, it loses track of me, real quick.
That's another thing a real client can do for it's user, that GG
doesn't do for you. granted, I'm using my client, with custom
settings as well as another program that I wrote to do it,
but, it's doing it, quite nicely.

I didn't deliberately go past anything. I've been 'catching up'
since I arrived. As it's usenet, there's no such thing as a 'dead'
thread unless various servers carrying copies of it delete their
local copies due to it exceeding their retention time. I'm sure
there's all kinds of threads on this newsgroup that I can't view
with the particular server I'm presently using. However, This
particular client doesn't limit me to one usenet server. I can use
as many as I like, and it keeps all activities between them entirely
seperate. Another thing you can't do with GG...

GG doesn't support binary newsgroups all that well either, but, my
client has no issue with them. There's actually several types of
newsgroups GG doesn't deal with, most of the binary friendly groups
being one example.

The majority of 'real' usenet servers no longer support XNA, but, GG
still does. If I want, I can make this post (or any other I write)
self delete from GG within six days time. And, you have no control
over the self deletion.

If you miss the post, you'll have to use a real usenet access point
and client to see it, or, hope someone quotes it in a reply and
provides the MID as they do so; so you can bring it up with
something other than GG. As after six days, GG will just state the
post has been deleted and as far as GG is concerned, that's that.

So GG doesn't even keep some posts intact and in posting order, if
the authors used XNA.

Some servers still support the Expires line in
your header too; It was most useful for Announcements of upcoming events, etc that
would become outdated within a specified period of time. The poster
could set this flag in their headers, and, the servers would respect
it: example...Expires: Thu, 12 Oct 1995 08:01:26 GMT

Using GG you can't really customize many/any aspects of your own
header, whereas, using a Usenet client as I do, I can. I don't
recall if GG even supports X-face...If it does, you'll see a cat
with it's paw up around it's ear. If not, you shouldn't notice
anything different about this post since the cat encoded picture is
in the header area, not the message body.

As in the blue boxes that Steve Jobs built & sold before Apple,
which enabled thefts of services from Bell Telephone. But
that's just its original history.

Sorry if I don't feel bad about taking ma bell for a ride on
occasion.

Oh, your lack of morals is already quite obvious.

I don't think we need to concern ourselves with my morals in
particular. You recently bragged about unblurring someones street
address to provide a known stalker, details. They already had the
same details as you provided, but, that's besides the point. You
took it upon yourself to do that. As you're okay with violating
anothers privacy, you're in no position to question my morals.

The last time I viewed the unblurred version (I can't seem to find
the pic I saved of it, perhaps David would be so kind as to share
his?), the truck looked silver or possibly grey to me, Most
certainly not tan. Do you have problems differentiating color?

Oh, look: its another lame "L33t" attempt.

Sorry kid, but AFAIC, they're all just tools in the toolbox,
and I don't subscribe to the irrational fanboy crap. So
I use different ones at different times, including Linux.

I'm impressed with the maturity level you display. Especially with
your derogatory 'kid' remarks. I find it highly amusing that you try
and label me as a troll of some kind, yet, act like one yourself
towards me, when I've responded to you in a civil manner.

I too use Linux. I've been using UNIX (No, not Linux) based systems
in one way shape or form since before I was a teenager though. Most
of the computers on this network are Linux. I'm well versed with OS9
(yes, it was a real OS, way back in the day; one of the first that
could actually multitask on a home computer that was NOT a PC or
Mac)

Novell, OS2warp, DOS, and Windows/Windows NT (No, they are not one
in the same)...I also have some mac knowledge, but, I've never had a
fondness for Macs so...

I like to know how the tools in my toolboxes actually work, though.
it's not enough for me that they do, I must know how and why.

In so far as warning people like yourself, which seem to be a bit
gullible concerning David Brooks and his need to stalk people who
refuse to do his bidding, yes. I can lead you to water, but, I
can't really force you to drink it.

Except that you're the one who has made poorly based assumptions
on gullibility and who needs your supposed "help".

I've made no poor assumptions concerning you that I know of, so far.
However, You've made several inaccurate assumptions concerning me.
I'm not a wannabe, or newbie, or kid for that matter. And I didn't
try to bluff anyone concerning my 'techie' knowledge. Besides, as
David himself can tell you, I'm not one for bluffing. I see no point
in it. I want you to know what I'll do, so when I do it, you can't
say 'But, I didn't know'; bull****, I told you beforehand.

David Brooks has since posted various urls describing some of the
'techie' things I've been responsible for. Fact is, you were quick
to jump to conclusions concerning what you thought I knew. I'm not
an average joe concerning IT, by any stretch of the
imagination.

http://picpaste.com/HlZsFJlY.jpg

I'm sure if you're really the IT god you profess yourself to be,
you've heard of Malwarebytes. See the version? They recruited me to
work for them, I didn't apply for the job. Didn't even know there
was a job to be had, until I got that email one day, out of the
blue.

I credit the program on the following site (and the years I spent
developing it as well as disecting live 0day executables with IDA
pro and ollydbg) for that.

http://bughunter.it-mate.co.uk/

On that page, Completelyfreesoftware.com reviewed my program and
awarded me the highest award they have. The program as well as the
award is several years old now, but, when it was 'new' they
summarized it with this:

BugHunter is a "must have" for all PC users.

Grab a copy now!

You can click the animated gif on the above domain and it'll take
you to the full review, if you'd like to do so.

Prior to that (years prior), I submitted many of the programs he
http://bughunter.it-mate.co.uk/core/

To Zdnet (when they accepted programs intended to be reviewed and
published on shareware cdroms for BBS operators) and routinely
scored four out of five possible stars. My documentation was the
culprit preventing me from getting the final star. As, I'm a coder
first, doc writer, second. I'm actually well known as a coder, and,
I've been a coder since before I was a teenager...And a
SysOp/CoSysOp well into my teenage years. In fact, if you're at all
familiar with the BBS documentaries DVD videos, some of those boards
are ones I was either a SysOp on or Co-SysOp.

I have a long and well known 'history' in the IT world. You just
didn't know anything about it, because I don't post under my real
name or the handle(s) that are also well known. They didn't publish
an article about me in Rolling Stone magazine for my musical
skills...But, they did publish an article that discusses me as well
as several other 'infamous' virus writers concerning my virus
writing period.

http://vxheaven.org/lib/p0021.html
A member of the VX group Slam and one of the loudest, most
unrepentant coders on the Net, RAiD is the kind of virus writer who
makes antivirus workers - and often other virus writers - gnash
their teeth in frustation. He's the guy who pops into the mind of PC
users as they nervously scan their disks with AV software. Not only
does he write viruses with malicious payloads, he also takes a
fairly obvious measure of delight in watching them spread.

I still get a kick out of the mental image the paragraph above
conveys, despite the fact I retired from such activities, seventeen
years ago. I can't even count how many systems/networks of various
kinds my 'work' from that scene has succesfully penetrated. I think
the most remarkable was Toyota Corporation (the car company);

That was unintentional on my part. I didn't specifically target
them. That's the thing with an actual computer virus vs some lame
ass trojan so commonly found these days though. If they're decent
enough they'll make wildlist and go places I never even thought
about them going. The ones that can't make wildlist aren't worth a
****. It means they couldn't spread well. Mine had no problems doing
what they were wrote to do. And, evading AV was childsplay for me.
Actually, it still is.

I didn't send the crazy bitch any email with ANY of my work, either.
I wouldn't have done that, as the work wasn't known to AV and hadn't
been released yet. No ****ing way would I compromise my own project
and give her a copy, which she would have turned over to the major
AV players. My virus wouldn't have had a chance had I done something
so stupid.

That was bull**** on her part, and the cut/paste usenet articles was
her way of trying to pay me back for disabling the ISP she was using
at the time. I nuked her machine first, but, she came back within a
few minutes, running that mouth off towards me.

So...I figured out her ISP was vulnerable to OOB nuking, and, I hit
the DNS server with one. Bye bye reporter. Happy trails. Redial all
you like, you aren't surfing to any sites or visiting any irc servers
if you don't know the IP address to the corresponding domain. She
was far too stupid to try and use another DNS server, and, depending
on her dialup configuration options, may not have been able to
choose one of her own, anyhow.

Several people in the scene emailed her, asking for a copy of this
supposed email she wrote about, with complete headers. and a copy of
the supposed file attachment. She didn't provide either, to ANYBODY.
The email didn't exist, and, she had no such file either. She got
the name from a discussion that was already taking place when she
entered the channel. She's a slimeball reporter, for damn sure.

I even reached out to RS and questioned the fact checking they
performed before they published it in the PRINT magazine (not
online, but one you could hold in your hands! Sold on news stands,
and various other retail outlets); they couldn't provide me a copy
of the supposed email or a copy of the file attachment; claiming she
had the only 'copy'; Sure she did. And I'm a white knight.

Have you ever written code professionally and maintained your own
antimalware scanner/removal tool? To later be recruited by yet
another larger company doing the same thing?

I have. So, do be careful with the 'newbie' paintbrush you
previously tried using with me. You missed the mark, by several
miles.

Yet you're still very much acting like one ... so I'll just say
instead that you're a PSL ... short for "Painfully Slow Learner"

You're making yet another unfounded assumption when the facts won't
support it. You seem to have a bit of a track record in so far as
I'm concerned doing that.

And I mean "newbie" in the USENET sense, not merely RPD.

Says the one who thinks google groups is intended for usenet and
makes for a great method of accessing usenet...

Nice straw man you tried to build there - - too bad its already
been proven wrong.

Do you need to lookup the definition to strawman? I've been active
on usenet since the days of UUCP. So, I'm nowhere near what you'd
call a 'newbie' with it. And, you do seem to think that google
groups is the best way, compared to a real client, to access usenet.
I can't think of many other techies who'd agree with that assesment.
Nor can I think of many usenet oldtimers who would agree with it,
either... You seem to be a notable exception.

In fact, I know several people who've been on usenet for years and
automatically filter posts coming from GG.. mostly due to spammers,
but, also due to IT stupid persons using it and not properly
quoting/formatting their replies as a result of doing so.

What did you use prior to GG? Dejanews?

Oh, look: it is another complaint from Dustin about his
personal lack of a PC with any computational power. Have you
perhaps thought buying a new one from *this* decade?

Your trolling skills need work, Hugh. You should learn how to
read in context. I was citing an example, I didn't say I had any
machines that old here.

Didn't really read that way to me, nor when you complained about
I-81 traffic.

You seem to lack proper usenet etiquette as well as make comments
that aren't supported about a poster (me) you know little to nothing
about. I don't use my real name these days, I use a handle. It's
proper etiquette to address one by their posting nym. I chose to
respond to you in the same manner as you did with me, to make a
subtle point. In case it escaped you.

As far as it not reading that way to you, you might need to take a
refresher course in reading comprehension...

As this is what I wrote:
Well, not exactly. It requires a browser capable of rendering it. You
wouldn't be doing this on older OSes (say Win3x) well, if at all due
the sheer amount of cpu hungry client side scripting google uses...

I don't see how you'd reach the conclusion that I run Windows 3.x,
or have hardware still in service that old based on what I wrote.
It's another poor assumption on your part. You seem to be good for
those.

My slowest box that's still used on the network is this one. It's a
dual cpu p3, running in SMP mode with mated processors on a server
class (not desktop) mainboard. My 'fastest' box is a lowly (rofl)
Intel quad core I5 series. The others are a bit of a mix between the
two. AMD Athlon 64bit, Intel Dual cores, etc. More than enough to
run googles scripts.

Which doesn't take away from what I said about the scripts...They
could be more efficient. There's no since in wasting cpu power just
because you can. I take it, you're not a coder?

As far as your comment concerning I-81, Perhaps you should stop with
the accusation that I'm a hypocrite, as it's evident you're either
been fed information concerning me, and/or stalking me on your own.
I suspect it's a combination of the two. So, I'll just say this
about it, David Brooks has an axe to grind with me over a problem he
created for himself because I wouldn't break into two web forums and
copy their user databases to turn over to him. The two year butthurt
comment you wrote previously, it's clear you misunderstood the
subject.

I *waited* two years before I returned the doxing attempt he made,
two years prior on me, for refusing to help him. So, if anybodies
been 'butthurt' over it, it was him. And, I can provide MIDs proving
how ****ed off he was concerning it, if you need to see them.

I think the recent doxing round two has really gotten under his skin
though, to the point where he hijacked a thread in this newsgroup
asking for help, as well as creating a new thread recently, asking
others to do his dirty work for him. He's a technological ****tard
of the highest calibre. And he seeks help from others more tech
savvy to help him 'get revenge' on anyone who told him 'no' and
taught him a lesson when he wouldn't accept that for an answer. I'm
not the only one he's ****ed with, and I certainly won't be the
last.

Btw, I often use I-81 to get from city to city and state to state
when I don't feel like using backroads. Sometimes though, the
backroads are actually faster. But, it depends on time of day, road
conditions, etc.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interstate_81

How about *installing* it, pedantic boy?

It doesn't require installation. It's a 'portable' app.

It still comes down to how the Admin was set up; some will lock
down to the point of prohibiting any .exe from running. I've
even seen some systems where one can't install a new printer.

I like the fact you need to move goalposts to justify your erroneous
statement, after I provided some nifty urls providing various
Windows and DOS apps that require no installation. I know of several
Linux apps that require no installation either.

If we're discussing windows (and it looks like we are since you
mentioned .exe specifically) short of domain invoked policies, local
system policies can be beaten. If one wanted to do so. And, you
initially wrote "installing it".

Based on that, you assumed Xnews requires that you 'install' it. If
you want to go the 'Oh, but the Admin could prevent you from running
an .exe' sure, they could. They could also just as easily deny you
access to google groups. So, what's your point here? As, in most
corporate installs I've seen, one doesn't need to be reading usenet
while on company time, and, it's easy enough to block at the
external firewall level.

If they did it 'whitelist only access' style, you won't be getting
around it, easily, either. Unlike the policy settings, depending on
how they were deployed. Some IT depts are lazy (or the company runs
very unique software) and so don't make use of domain level. When
they don't, the policies can be circumvented. I've done it, many
times when a company 'retires' older computers and didn't bother
erasing the hard disk before hand.

After all, one can't run an App which hasn't been installed.

Are you sure about that? You seem to be of the mistaken
impression that All apps require installation. They don't.

It still comes down to how restrictive the Admin was set up (and
what options their Admin pkg has). I've seen/used some which were
locked down to the point of prohibiting a random .exe from
running. Similarly, where one can't even install a new
printer...or updated print driver to an existing printer (yes, on
first glance, that one seems stupid).

Well, the thing is, it depends on HOW the 'random' exe block is
setup. Is it an executable HASH, or simply based on filenames? If
it's the latter, renaming Xnews.exe to an 'allowed' filename WILL
get around the block. And this is besides the point. You stated,
initially, 'installed' Xnews requires no installation. So, contrary
to what you wrote, you *can* run an app that hasn't been 'installed'

An installer is a luxury that for the most part, Windows users take
for granted. I blame it on MS need to 'dumb it down' for the user.

Because the conversation that this stems from was from a decade
ago, when big USB sticks weren't dirt cheap, etc.

It's using 162megabytes of drive space. That's including stored
message bodies, thousands of saved posts, articles, etc. Would
easily fit on a cd-r with plenty of room to spare. Even a 256meg USB
'memory card' or stick would hold it, just fine. And, 256meg sticks
weren't expensive a decade ago.

Doesn't require admin level rights to run, either.

Oh, so then let me go test your claim by taking a copy of Xnews
to a PC on a USB and plugging it in ... oh, look: they've locked
out the USB port drivers for all storage media too.

You didn't include system/group/domain policy settings with your
initial comment concerning admin rights required...That leaves one
to assume you meant a standard configuration which has no such
policies in place.

if you feel the need to move the goal posts, please let me know
ahead of time. ok? I understand that you've been left with no choice
but to move them now, as you obviously were of the mistaken
impression that programs required installation (when many do not) so
to save face here, you must add conditions to your original
statement.

Which is a rather pointless condition to set, because Admins can
just as easily block access to google groups, without otherwise
affecting your ability to use the search engine. And, it's much
harder to get around that if they did it properly, as in only
allowing you to bring up site domains that are already on a
whitelist. And, refusing to reverse DNS any sites which aren't. Or,
allowing you to visit any sites that don't resolve (if you try to
use the IP address instead of domain name) to a known whitelisted
domain. Effectively taking out any ideas of using a proxy to bypass
the restrictions in place.

But, you know this already, right?

After all, you did claim I that was bluffing about my techie
knowledge and was an average joe who wouldn't know nearly as much as
you do concerning IT, but it's becoming obvious, your statement was
in error. Infact, I might know considerably more than you, depending
on the IT related subject. Unlike you though, I'm not willing to
make blanket statements concerning what you do/don't know so quickly
without getting to know more about you.

Because they invisibly & painlessly handle the .rn (or .newsrc)
file updates automatically for me, as I move between
devices/platforms: my read/unread thread are all up to date ...
with zero effort on my part.

That only works if you're logged into Google. And, it's not doing
what you think it's doing, but the result certainly would look the
same to you.

I don't know why I'd just copy my newsrc file to take with me,
when I can just rar/zip/native copy the entire Xnews folder
instead?

Which is still more work...you're not going to beat ZERO effort.

You don't have zero effort, though. You have to login to google.
Sure, google keeps track of what you've read/haven't read yet once
you do, but, you still have to login first. Which requires you to
have a google account, AND, make use of it. Otherwise, it doesn't
track anything for you, you get to remember the last post you read
on your own. Neither option is zero work. GG or a real usenet
client.

Lack of any filtering ability, limited search options, failure
to maintain proper threading. Inability to change threading
views, etc.

But of course there's downsides; life is like that.

Well, those are important things to me and others who've been on
usenet for decades and actually like the flexability and control
offered with a real client, vs a web portal interface. YMMV.

Sorry, kid, but your l33t attempts fall flat. I've been online
for longer than you've been alive...and I'm not talking about as a
6th Grader playing Oregon Trail -- I'm talking about having a paid
IT job.

I've made no such attempts, instead, I provided some differences
between a web portals method of usenet access vs that of an actual
newsreader. There's nothing l33t about choosing to use an actual
newsreader vs gg. The newsreader offers more individual, control,
and imo, provides for a better usenet experience.

6th grader playing oregon trail? I'd grown out of games like that by
then. Try 2nd grade, instead. Personally, I found 'The Dallas quest'
to be much more challenging, and Robot Oddysey from the learning
company actually contributed to migraines for me. That was one hell
of a game to beat. The Dallas quest took me a few weeks, but, the
other one, oi, that was a *******, it took me over two months! I was
in elementary school then, so, you'll have forgive my inability to
dedicate 'full time' to either of them. Otherwise, I'd have
completed both sooner.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robot_Odyssey

Does being paid to write custom software while your still in
elementary school count as an IT job? If so, you aren't the only one
to have an IT job way back when, then. I was already cracking
commercial copy protected software years before I started the 6th
grade. BFG

Since you brought IT up though, what age were you when you got your
first degree (honorary is fine too) and/or certification? You do
have one or more right? You should if you've been doing it for as
long as you've claimed. No realistic reason not to.

And you continue to choose to miss the point.

I didn't miss your point. For you, GG works. For me, it's not
satisfactory. Tell me something though, if you don't mind.. What did
you use prior to GG?

Further, I can review them at any time I like, prior to them
being sent and make changes and/or delete them instead, if I so
choose. I can also delay which ones get sent and when. Can't do
any of that with google groups...

Nope, and it simply isn't an important capability for my
workflows.

Workflows to me sounds like a spreadsheet or storyboard mockup
before one begins writing the source code to a complicated
program...

I'm aware of the options of Newsreaders, as I did use them for a
couple of decades. Kid, the problem you're having is that you're
arrogantly assuming that you're telling me something that I didn't
already know.

I'm assuming nothing about you. As I told you before, I don't know
you. You certainly aren't making that process an easy one for me,
either. Have I done something to you, personally, that you feel the
need to respond to me in such a manner?

I didn't assume you didn't know the differences between GG and a
real newsreader, either. I figured you might? have forgotten since
you feel that GG superior for usenet access...Other than browser
access (which btw, some real usenet servers also support), I can't
think of any other reason one would intentionally choose GG over an
actual newsreader. Especially with the limitations GG poses upon you
that a real client/server configuration doesn't.
My point in doing that was that your choice of usenet access
provider exposes information to the rest of us that doesn't need
to be. The internet can be a dangerous place, as you well know,
why just give people with nefarious intentions information they
don't even have to work for?

There's reasons, even if you don't grok them.

Alright, I'll bite. I'm always up for learning something new. What
might the reason be for you to willingly want your IP address and a
valid email account to be exposed to spammers, scammers, harvest
bots, and people with nefarious intentions?

Google groups is great, if you don't give a **** about your
own privacy.

Or know that attempts at anonymity are doomed to failure.

That depends on the steps you take, actually.

Not for years now.

Are you unfamiliar with anonymous remailers? Granted, they aren't
'new' technology, but, if used properly, the originator of the post
will never become 'known' regardless of your companies/governments
budget. Or, do you have a different definition for anonymity?

And, that's just one 'old' technology I can think of off the top of
my head. It's by no means the only one...

And, privacy isn't the same as anonymity, but, they are related
to a point..

The best security option is to never put it online, ever. And
even that has ways of being breached today.

Do let me know when all the worlds major cyphers have been broken
within your or my lifetime. Otherwise, the breaching aspect has
limitations. As does the idea of never putting something online in
the first place. That's not always within your (or my) control. And,
that's becoming less and less of an option realistically, anyhow.

One can remain anonymous online, if ...

Nope.

Yes, they can.

http://mason.gmu.edu/~afinn/html/tel..._remailers.htm

http://www.iusmentis.com/technology/...ndex-anon.html

And that doesn't even include VPN options, hacked wifi options, open
wifi leeching options, etc etc etc. It can take a bit of work on the
part of the individual(s) who wish to remain 'anonymous', but, it's
far from impossible to do.

Can you provide useful urls supporting your claim? If so, feel free
to share them. If not, enjoy the education I'm providing you, free
of charge.

As I said, I didn't recall the exact file name correctly.
That's an extremely minor issue when you realize that I'm
recalling minutia from 30 years ago ... back when you were
still in diapers.

See above. I wasn't in diapers thirty years ago...

PSL Hint: I really wan't talking about biological age.

While I appreciate your need to backpeddle and save face as you do
so, You don't actually expect me to believe that for a second or
more do you? Prior to my telling you the age difference, you
assumed (heh) that I was a 'kid', just smarting off to you. I'm not,
and, I wasn't.

You attempted to compare my IT knowledge to your own and made the
statement that I was bluffing (lol, right) about my techie
knowledge. David Brooks, the individual I have an issue with
contradicted your own statement.

I realize that MIDs are hard to make use of via GG - Yet another
limitation of accessing usenet in that manner. So, I've included a
browser friendly url that will take you to the post the MID
represents. I am of course, assuming that you actually understand
what an MID is and it's reason for existance. It's not something you
need to concern yourself with, of course, but, they do serve several
purposes.

MID:

https://www.dropbox.com/home?preview...t+Wilders.tiff

Feb 8, 1978

The link also provides confirmation of his web site and his use of
Raid/Slam as his 'handle'.

He's infamous for writing the IROK virus, details he-

https://www.sophos.com/en-us/threat-...-analysis.aspx

From a capability standpoint, there is AFAIK no equivalent
match to GG by any alternatives that anyone has suggested in
the last ~decade.

What capabilities, specifically, do you think GG has that a
real news client does not?

The ones listed above which you just tried to comment on.

The only one that GG has on Xnews is it's ability to be accessed
on any device capable of an internet connection and a browser
able to parse the scripting.

Pretty much.

So, that's not 'capabilities' then. It's a capability. Single, not
plural. Otherwise, Xnews has far more 'capabilities' (plural) than
GG does, presently. Further (taking a play from you here), I can
always setup remote access to this machine, via a 'browser' and
access Xnews that way, from any machine in the world that has a
browser and working internet connection. Giving me all the
capabilities of Xnews, and, none of the limitations of GG.

Which doesn't make it unique.

Probably not today .. but you failed to actually prove that such
alternative products, in a viable form, actually exist.

It was never unique to GG...You do have other web browser friendly
options, but they aren't all 'free'

The only valid requirement you have stated is the web portal
aspect to GG.

And that was good enough.

Except that it's not unique to GG...

Xnews isn't a web portal, it's an actual Newsreader with
abilities that exceed that of which GG is able to offer you.

No, the fact that Xnews can do "different stuff" does not mean
"better".

Aside from inability natively to be controlled via a web browser, it
does the same thing as GG, and more. And, as I said, one can always
configure the machine to allow remote control (over secure comms of
course) so that you can use a browser, to control Xnews and get the
best of both worlds. You'd be using a browser, and, a real
newsreader with all the capabilities it affords you, that GG does
not.

You really don't know how to actually generate or analyze
capability requirements, do you kid?

Sure I do. I also recognize when someone has lost an argument too.
It's a tell when they feel the need to move goalposts.

The first objective is to assure that the capability requirements
are satisfied. That's where you've failed, kid.

The first objective is to determine if the user is willing to pay to
have the capability requirements fulfilled, or, if they are only
interested in 'free' options to satisfy them. You've yet to indicate
your decision on that. Although you use GG, it would be foolish of
me to assume you use it because you don't want to pay for browser
based usenet access, or can't afford it.

Again, you're nineteen years older than myself, so you can quit
with the condescending 'kid' remark.

Sorry, but you still haven't shown being deserving anything better
than "kid", kid.

I wasn't aware you were in a position to make judgements of any kind
concerning me. If you're incapable of being civil towards those you
know nothing about, that's on you. Not me.

Old May 27th 17, 03:59 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article
l6.Uu5rkJ7kUA24p,
Diesel wrote:

As in the blue boxes that Steve Jobs built & sold before Apple,
which enabled thefts of services from Bell Telephone. But that's
just its original history.

Sorry if I don't feel bad about taking ma bell for a ride on
occasion. Please don't tell me your a mac fanboy too?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phreaking

He wasn't the first to do it, and, wasn't the only one building
boxes.

nobody said they were the first or the only ones to build blueboxes.
Old May 27th 17, 03:59 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Diesel
wrote:

Which merely means that I got some of my old IT history a bit
blended, by using the original name instead of the more recent
(and PC based) one.

It's not a 'more recent' name unless you think 1980 is recent...
and, it wasn't originated on PCs, either...Especially considering
that the first PC didn't arrive until 1981...

1977, and arguably earlier if you consider hobbyist computers.

1981 was when the ibm pc came out, but it certainly was not first.

The file format
originates on UNIX based systems, and, they weren't PCs in the IBM
compatible sense of the word...

http://www.catb.org/~esr/writings/ta...l/ch05s01.html

so what? unix is very primitive, with .newsrc files being one of many
examples.

rest of your garbage snipped.
Old May 27th 17, 04:34 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article
XnsA77F59908A676HT1@p8FUa01Ty2819Ab32KAEB4rM336pW n37.Fgt8w5hZ8tK7.0YLdt
t5ez6Q1Ql2L9, Diesel wrote:

Too complicated for you to understand, I get it. That's probably
why you feel right at home on a Mac. They are good baby sitters
for those who don't know, or want to learn, how the machine in
front of them works. Apple prides itself on dumbing technology
down and charging you out the ass for it.

nonsense.

Do you have any reputable sites which dispute what I wrote?

reputable sites don't refer to mac users as idiots who need
babysitters. only apple-bashers do that.

the prices of apple products are competitive for similar specs, often
*less* expensive.

for instance, the retina imac 5k costs about the same as a dell 5k
display, which is just a display, no computer. you have to add the cost
of the computer, which makes it quite a bit more expensive than the
imac.

the samsung galaxy s8 costs *more* than a similar iphone, as did the
galaxy note 7 before it was recalled.

if you want to see charging out the ass, look no further than
microsoft.

the price of the microsoft surface studio is about *double* the price
of a similar apple imac, with the only tangible difference being that
the surface studio display pivots and supports touch.
Old May 27th 17, 05:18 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article
XnsA77F599032C2CHT1@p8FUa01Ty2819Ab32KAEB4rM336pW n37.Fgt8w5hZ8tK7.0YLdt
t5ez6Q1Ql2L9, Diesel wrote:

That does *not* mean malware written specifically to take
advantage of mac users doesn't exist. infact, it does.

it does, but it's rare and relies on the user to do something
stupid. the exploit is not the mac, but the person using it.

Most malware relies on stupid users...With some notable
exceptions. And, it's not as rare as you seem to think. In fact,
it's on the rise. I've included some urls in this post, but a
simple search query for osx or mac malware would provide LOTS
more, if you actually wanted to educate yourself.

there are some theoretical exploits, but almost nothing in the
wild, certainly nowhere near that of windows.

While I agree with you that the malware issue number wise isn't
nearly as great as it is with Windows, I do disagree with you on the
idea that there's almost nothing in the wild. I've already provided
some urls describing some that are, infact, wild.

you don't understand what it is you're reading, mostly because you
don't use macs and don't understand how they work, and based on your
posts, you are an apple-hating troll.

In the event you missed them, I've included some below:

https://arstechnica.com/security/201...ware-may-have-
circulated-in-the-wild-for-2-years/

Apple issues MacOS update that automatically protects infected
machines.

already patched. non-issue.

https://9to5mac.com/2016/07/06/backd...r-mac-malware/

unsigned code. user ignored warning. user is at fault.

http://blog.trendmicro.com/trendlabs...ac-malware-in-
the-wild/

JAHLAV variants, poses as pirated versions of legitimate applications

karma. those who pirate apps deserve what they get.

https://www.howtogeek.com/210589/mac...more-the-crapw
are-malware-epidemic-has-begun/

unsigned code, user ignored warning. user is at fault.

https://www.welivesecurity.com/2016/...-hungry-creden
tials/

unsigned code, user ignored warning. user is at fault.

Macs are by no means, as secure from Malware as you may have thought.

they're *far* more secure than windows.

as i said, the exploit is the user, not the computer.

all that needs to happen is trick the user into installing something
and game over.

this is nothing new. scammers have been trying to trick people for
*years*, calling people to get their credit card number, trying to scam
them into some bogus product, even going so far as to claim they're
from the irs and there's an arrest warrant out for not paying taxes.

it's *really* hard to pwn a mac unless the user grants permission,
which is why the user is targeted.

Ironically, if Windows users forgo the use of admin accounts and use
a restricted one while doing most of their surfing, the same applies
for Windows. And, it certainly applies for linux/unix based OSes.

the problem with that is a lot of windows apps won't work when run from
a non-admin account.

MS made a mistake initially by having normal users run with admin
rights, most of the time, not even realizing they were. This isn't
the fault of the OS itself, it's the fault of improper security
policies and ignorance on the part of the user. The user is almost
always the weakest link in terms of security.

that's the point.

Hospitals don't routinely use Macs.

yes they do, as well as a significant number of ios devices.

In which country? The ones I've seen in the states are PC Based.
Not Mac. The VA in Johnson City, TN is PC based. Not mac.

Do you have specific hospitals that are mac and not PC based?

hospitals use macs, windows, linux, ios and android, depending on
the task.

That's a bit of a vague answer to my question.

The market share of Mac for a desktop is actually quite small. To
the point where it's still a 'niche' market.

nonsense. macs are everywhere. look around.

https://www.netmarketshare.com/opera...x?qprid=10&qpc
ustomd=0

flawed and meaningless stats.

the days of companies being a slave to one platform are *long*
gone, which is a very, very good thing.

While I don't disagree with you on the face of it, I've seen little
evidence locally supporting the idea you present. I make it a point
to checkout the computer system the dr, nurse, receptionist is using
anytime I have to visit a hospital or drs office, mostly when I'm
playing taxi service for a friend or relative. I haven't run across
many macs, but, I've run across all kinds of PCs running various
flavors of Windows.

the receptionist might be using windows because it's the same system
reception has been using for a decade or two and there's no reason to
change.

the rest of the hospital, however, is different.

plenty of research is now done using macs, ipads are everywhere, and
staff will be using an iphone or android phone. windows phone was a
colossal failure.

http://www.computerworld.com/article...-hospitals-ipa
d-patient-plan-and-apples-mhealth-plans.html
The newly revealed Jacobs Medical Center plans are yet another public
expression of the transformative impact Apple¹s technologies are
having across the industry. They were announced at the event at which
IBM also revealed the it is three times more expensive to manage
Windows PCs than to manage Macs.
...The hospital tried using 25 Android tablets because they were
cheaper, but things didn¹t work out.

http://www.pmlive.com/blogs/digital_...2012/may_2014/
us_doctors_ipad_smartphone_mobile_devices_manhatta n_research_402767
Adoption of tablet devices by US physicians, for whom the iPad is the
dominant platform, has nearly doubled since 2011, with 62 per cent of
those surveyed saying they use one for professional purposes.

Again, Windows (mostly Windows 7, despite Windows 10 being in
existance for sometime now) with a single specific MAC os following
a ways behind, and Linux being slightly behind that. As for the
older MAC OSX versions, they are practically non existant.

https://www.netmarketshare.com/opera...x?qprid=10&qpc
ustomd=0

flawed and meaningless stats.

no one platform can do everything, nor should it.

That depends on what you mean by everything.

no it doesn't. there is only one meaning.

But, I think we're
beginning to split hairs at this point, and, I see no reason to do
that.

because you can't back up what you're saying.

Macs used to have the schools in the US on essential lockdown,
but, that's changed too. Now adays, kids are sent home with
Windows based laptops on lease from the school, typically
budget Dells (in this area)

nope. schools have mostly moved to chromebooks. there are also
a lot of ipads in use too.

Depends on what state/city you live in. As I said, in this area,
they are coming home with Dells, not macs.

for your particular city, it might be dell, but overall,
chromebooks have the lead and growing.

County rather, and, it's not the only one here.

doesn't matter.

overall, chromebooks are dominating the education sector. that doesn't
mean *nobody* uses something else. it means that most schools use
chromebooks because they are very well suited for schools, both in
price and management, which is why their use is growing.

As for the schools doing the chromebook thing:

https://www.eff.org/press/releases/g...y-tracks-stude
nts-internet- browsing-eff-says-complaint-federal-trade
https://www.eff.org/wp/school-issued...tudent-privacy

maybe so, but schools are still buying chromebooks, and the first
one is not specific to chromebooks.

Some schools are investing in the chromebooks, aka, wannabe laptops.

chromebooks aren't wannabe laptops. some of them are more expensive
than a windows laptop.

for what most people do, certainly for schoolkids, they're way more
than adequate, and with some advantages over an old school laptop.

they're not for everyone, however. nothing is. anyone who thinks that
the only game in town is windows is clueless.

However, the majority of them are keeping in line with what the kid
is most likely going to be using at home and at work, if the kid has
a summer/after school job. That being, Windows. Not mac.

definitely wrong.

Familiarity
with Linux is being taught in various schools now, though.

very little. there's no point in that.

in fact, whatever is being taught in schools (other than college) won't
be relevant by the time the kid is out.

chromebooks are very well suited for schools for all sorts of
reasons.

It depends on the school and their IT cash flow situation. Poor
schools are more likely to opt for them.

nonsense.

linux on the desktop is such a tiny market share that it can be
ignored, which is what most software and hardware developers do.

You're misinformed.

nope. definitely not.

linux on the desktop has a low single digit market share and falling.

Linux has a fair share of software and hardware
developers supporting it, with more coming every day.

absolutely wrong.

most developers don't bother with linux because of its tiny market
share. it's simply not worth the effort. it's a money loser.

You can even
buy various linux distro friendly mainboards that clearly advertise
they're linux friendly. Asus is one such maker. And, they aren't
small time.

that doesn't mean it will be used on the desktop.

linux is great for servers. buy a bunch of asus boxes and set up a
server rack. nothing wrong with that.

for the desktop, however, linux is a horrible choice because of the
sheer lack of software, particularly quality software. major companies,
such as adobe and microsoft, ignore it. even smaller players, such as
garmin, ignore it.

what's available for linux are low quality apps. the gimp, for example,
is roughly where photoshop was 10-15 years ago and it runs
*substantially* slower on the same hardware.

it's so low that it's almost a round-off error, and its userbase
does not like to pay for anything either.

That's not true either. Some recent studies have indicated that
linux users are not only more likely to pay for commercial software
they'll use that runs on linux, but, they'll also pay a little more
than the equ Windows user would.

wishful thinking, but regardless, there aren't enough to justify the
effort.

linux is suited for servers or embedded devices, not the desktop.

I would have to disagree with you. Nearly all the computers on this
network are running linux distros native. This is the only one that
actually runs a flavor of Windows native. And, I'm not alone. Many
of us are using linux these days.

not as many as you think.

You seem to grossly underestimate the knowledge I have on the
subject of Malware. I provided some links to some virus families
I wrote, personally. I also included the fact I was recruited to
work for a company known as Malwarebytes as an expert Malware
Researcher. I processed lots! of live, binary 0day, samples on a
weekly basis for them.

you grossly underestimate the knowledge i have about macintosh,
ios and apple itself. i've been writing mac apps since the mac
came out and ios apps for the past decade.

I'm not a mac fanboy, myself. But, I do have some experience writing
on the original macintosh with the built in crt. Prior to that, I
have experience writing on the Apple II family computers even going
so far as to do robotics with them, in the 2nd grade.

in other words, you know *very* little about macs.

That was ages ago though. I had a choice when I moved beyond my
coco3 to go mac or PC, and, I chose PC. With that said, while I
don't doubt your knowledge concerning mac is mostly superior to my
own, I'm not foolish enough to think that malware doesn't affect mac
now. It most certainly does, and a considerable amount and growing
is infact, in the wild.

there is very little mac malware, all of it designed to trick the user
into installing something. that's not mac malware, that's user malware.

According to this website:
https://www.netmarketshare.com/opera...10&qpcustomd=0

Mac OSX 10.12 makes up for approx 3.21% of the desktop market share,
where as Linux makes up for 2.09%. Windows 7 oth, makes up for 48.5%
of the desktop market. followed by Windows 10 which makes up for
26.28%

flawed stats. go look at what people are actually using.

Prior versions of Mac OSX are so small, that Linux and Windows 8
surpasses them by a considerable margin.

mac users generally upgrade, partly because it's free and partly
because it's very easy, which is why prior versions are have a small
share.

windows users generally do not upgrade partly because of the cost,
partly because it's a pain in the ass, which is why there are still
people running windows xp, a nearly 20 year old system.
Old May 28th 17, 12:18 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

On Sat, 27 May 2017 12:18:02 -0400, nospam
wrote:

the problem with that is a lot of windows apps won't work when run from
a non-admin account.

I've never encountered that. Please name some.

Eric Stevens
Old May 28th 17, 01:48 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
-hh

On Saturday, May 27, 2017 at 8:52:18 AM UTC-4, Diesel wrote:
-hh wrote:

Which merely means that I got some of my old IT history a bit
blended, by using the original name instead of the more recent
(and PC based) one.

It's not a 'more recent' name unless you think 1980 is recent...

When hearkening on the history of information management, yup.

You must have forgotten (I'm giving you the benefit of the doubt
here) how real usenet clients work...

Where "benefit of the doubt" is to deliberately ignore prior statements
and free clues, so as to try to brag about your own supposed knowledge.

Sorry kid, but GG uses these same basic UI factors as common newsreaders.
Excepting the pre-GUI stuff, of course.

Because you use GG to post, it's very easy to 'track' your online
usenet activities.

Yes; now tell me something that I've not already known for a decade.

In fact, a single url bookmarked can keep anyone
interested not only uptodate on your posts, but see what other posts
you've written in any newsgroup GG allows access, as well. The same
cannot be said of mine. Go ahead, try ...

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!profile/rec.photo.digital/APn2wQezpALVzv7FAl-qN0QJNw0zCtY9oz4BL-5J2bOoNnDZAHjVgCkbPH44bSKpIXMFwNFQi8Im

Sorry, but that URL fails to do what you've claimed. Please try again.

Since your email address is 'fixed' and unique to you, it's even easier to do it this way:

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!search/huntzinger.com

Sorry, but that URL also fails to do what you've claimed. Please try again.

Interestingly enough, You have quite a history on usenet yourself.
Hard to determine without some additional reading (and, I assure
you, I will) which of us has the worst reputation and in what ways.

You've merely found the rantings of 'Reef Fish', who unfortunately
went mentally unstable and his family evoked his internet access.

But do make sure to go read through all of his stuff ... if memory serves,
he bragged about having some huge number of posts (over 100K?).

I didn't deliberately go past anything. I've been 'catching up'
since I arrived.

But since your claimed visit here was merely to "WARN" the readership
about David, anything more is a clear goal posts move.

And you've said, your "job" is done.
Yet you are still here.
And still haven't shared any of your photography.

You recently bragged about unblurring someones street
address to provide a known stalker, details.

At least that's almost close to an on-topic subject.
But unfortunately for you, your claim is patently false.

[long self-aggrandesment...snipped]

Sorry kid, but you've made promises, then broken them.

Yet you're still very much acting like one ... so I'll just say
instead that you're a PSL ... short for "Painfully Slow Learner"

What did you use prior to GG? Dejanews?

Kid, since I've already mentioned some of them, you needing to ask
again shows just how much you're a Painfully Slow Learner (PSL).

Didn't really read that way to me, nor when you complained
about I-81 traffic.

[YA snip of self-aggrandesment]
Btw, I often use I-81 to get from ...

But Dustin did say he doesn't divulge locations ... remember? /S
Keep on shooting yourself in your own foot, kid...er PSL.

Probably not today .. but you failed to actually prove that such
alternative products, in a viable form, actually exist.

It was never unique to GG...You do have other web browser friendly
options, but they aren't all 'free'

You keep claiming that, but still haven't cited even but one such example.
And that's also entirely your failing, no one else's.

-hh
Old May 28th 17, 10:19 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Diesel

nospam
Sat, 27 May 2017
16:18:02 GMT in rec.photo.digital, wrote:

you don't understand what it is you're reading, mostly because you
don't use macs and don't understand how they work, and based on
your posts, you are an apple-hating troll.

Partially correct. I don't like macs, would prefer not to use macs,
but, I'm not an Apple hating troll, and, I do understand how they
work.

In the event you missed them, I've included some below:

https://arstechnica.com/security/201...vered-mac-malw
are-may-have- circulated-in-the-wild-for-2-years/

Apple issues MacOS update that automatically protects infected
machines.

already patched. non-issue.

The article is from January, and, you claimed Macs didn't have
malware in the wild. The article disputes that statement.

https://9to5mac.com/2016/07/06/backd...r-mac-malware/

unsigned code. user ignored warning. user is at fault.

As I wrote previously, most of the time, regardless of system, the
user is at fault. That doesn't make the malware sample non existant
though. You stated macs didn't have this problem, but, as I told
you, they do.

http://blog.trendmicro.com/trendlabs...igence/more-ma
c-malware-in- the-wild/

JAHLAV variants, poses as pirated versions of legitimate
applications

karma. those who pirate apps deserve what they get.

Well, not exactly. But, that's an entirely different subject. Point
is, which I stated previously is that Macs do have malware, in the
wild and it's more common than you realized.

Macs are by no means, as secure from Malware as you may have
thought.

they're *far* more secure than windows.

Evidently not. They have the same problem Windows based PCs have.
Ignorant users allowing code to run that shouldn't have.
as i said, the exploit is the user, not the computer.

In nearly all cases, the user is to blame for the computer being
0wned, regardless of OS. A few exceptions certainly exist, but, for
the most part, the user is to blame.

all that needs to happen is trick the user into installing
something and game over.

Which applies for Mac just as it does for Windows and Linux users...

it's *really* hard to pwn a mac unless the user grants
permission, which is why the user is targeted.

Ironically, if Windows users forgo the use of admin accounts and
use a restricted one while doing most of their surfing, the same
applies for Windows. And, it certainly applies for linux/unix
based OSes.

the problem with that is a lot of windows apps won't work when run
from a non-admin account.

That used to be the case, prior to developers realizing MS is
forcing the issue and they need to be writing apps that don't
require admin level rights to function. Only in a select few
instances does an application require elevated rights, anyhow. And,
if it's to be granted such rights, the user *should* be aware of
what the programs intentions are, prior to giving it the requested
rights.

MS made a mistake initially by having normal users run with admin
rights, most of the time, not even realizing they were. This
isn't the fault of the OS itself, it's the fault of improper
security policies and ignorance on the part of the user. The user
is almost always the weakest link in terms of security.

that's the point.

The user ignorance aspect is no different for Macs or Linux boxes,
Or Windows boxes. It's NOT the OSes fault, if the user goes and does
something really stupid with admin level rights as they do so.

The market share of Mac for a desktop is actually quite small. To
the point where it's still a 'niche' market.

nonsense. macs are everywhere. look around.

Heh, no, they aren't. They have a low marketshare.

https://www.netmarketshare.com/opera...et-share.aspx?
qprid=10&qpc ustomd=0

flawed and meaningless stats.

Not hardly. You can fact check them, if you'd like.

the days of companies being a slave to one platform are *long*
gone, which is a very, very good thing.

While I don't disagree with you on the face of it, I've seen
little evidence locally supporting the idea you present. I make
it a point to checkout the computer system the dr, nurse,
receptionist is using anytime I have to visit a hospital or drs
office, mostly when I'm playing taxi service for a friend or
relative. I haven't run across many macs, but, I've run across
all kinds of PCs running various flavors of Windows.

the receptionist might be using windows because it's the same
system reception has been using for a decade or two and there's no
reason to change.

Incorrect assumptions on your part. The receptionist is using what
the IT dept setup for use in the hospital. The computers are
networked, and it's a Windows (not Mac) based network.

the rest of the hospital, however, is different.

The rest of the hospitals I've been in are Windows based. Upto and
including laptops the nurses wheel around to ensure they're giving
you the proper dosages of the proper medication prescribed for you.
The Windows based laptops are interfacing directly with your shared
on the hospital network patient records. Which is Windows, not mac,
based.

plenty of research is now done using macs, ipads are everywhere,
and staff will be using an iphone or android phone. windows phone
was a colossal failure.

I wasn't discussing phones, or tablets.

But, since you brought it up...

http://www.idc.com/promo/smartphone-market-share/os

Android is beating the snot out of the ios...And, Android is a
closed LINUX based kernel, not Mac. Staff may use android/ios phones
for personal use, but, they have access to a PC desktop and laptop
for hospital use in this region. Not A mac, A PC.

http://www.pmlive.com/blogs/digital_...hive/2012/may_
2014/
us_doctors_ipad_smartphone_mobile_devices_manhatta n_research_402767

Adoption of tablet devices by US physicians, for whom the iPad
is the dominant platform, has nearly doubled since 2011, with 62
per cent of those surveyed saying they use one for professional
purposes.

A more recent article:

http://www.mobihealthnews.com/32232/...us-physicians/

And if you're thinking if entering the field of medicine for this college,
you won't be doing it with an android or ios based device.

http://www.utsouthwestern.edu/edumed...rchase-faq.pdf

Again, Windows (mostly Windows 7, despite Windows 10 being in
existance for sometime now) with a single specific MAC os
following a ways behind, and Linux being slightly behind that. As
for the older MAC OSX versions, they are practically non
existant.

https://www.netmarketshare.com/opera...et-share.aspx?
qprid=10&qpc ustomd=0

flawed and meaningless stats.

Do you have something specific to backup your statement? Your
personal opinion will not suffice.

no one platform can do everything, nor should it.

That depends on what you mean by everything.

no it doesn't. there is only one meaning.

everything is an ambiguous statement. That's why I wrote, it depends
on what you meant by it.

But, I think we're
beginning to split hairs at this point, and, I see no reason to
do that.

because you can't back up what you're saying.

Except, that, I have, already...I'm waiting for you to provide solid
evidence discounting what I've written. As I originally stated, the
hospitals in this area are Windows PC based. I've seen very little
mac usage. I've provided marketshare stats; you've provided nothing
to rebute them other than your personal opinion; which won't
suffice.

Macs used to have the schools in the US on essential
lockdown, but, that's changed too. Now adays, kids are sent
home with Windows based laptops on lease from the school,
typically budget Dells (in this area)

nope. schools have mostly moved to chromebooks. there are
also a lot of ipads in use too.

Depends on what state/city you live in. As I said, in this
area, they are coming home with Dells, not macs.

for your particular city, it might be dell, but overall,
chromebooks have the lead and growing.

County rather, and, it's not the only one here.

doesn't matter.

Sure it does, as I used this area for the example. I don't concern
myself with what people out of state are using. As, they don't
affect me. Further, Chromebooks aren't Apple products. Apple is on
it's way out of the education sector. I'm not a big fan of Chrome books myself, because of their limited
functionality as compared to a real PC, but, I'd much rather see them in more educational areas than I would
the Apples anyday.

http://www.crn.com/slide-shows/mobil...windows-10.htm

Some schools are investing in the chromebooks, aka, wannabe
laptops.

chromebooks aren't wannabe laptops. some of them are more
expensive than a windows laptop.

Chromebooks are most certainly wannabe laptops. Cost doesn't mean
everything, either. One can purchase a really cheap, LOW END windows
laptop for less than some Chromebooks, sure.

for what most people do, certainly for schoolkids, they're way
more than adequate, and with some advantages over an old school
laptop.

an old school laptop? What exactly do you mean by that statement?

they're not for everyone, however. nothing is. anyone who thinks
that the only game in town is windows is clueless.

I never claimed that Windows was the only game in town. I've only
got ONE machine here that actually runs a flavor of Windows native.
All the others are running Linux. I absolutely hate Windows 10, myself.
Didn't much care for 8/8.1 either.

However, the majority of them are keeping in line with what the
kid is most likely going to be using at home and at work, if the
kid has a summer/after school job. That being, Windows. Not mac.

definitely wrong.

No, not definitely. Unless the kid is going to be doing a very
specific kind of internship that involves graphics, animation, etc,
they will most likely be interacting with a PC, not a Mac. And even
then, the times they are a changing...

Familiarity
with Linux is being taught in various schools now, though.

very little. there's no point in that.

I think you grossly under estimate the growing impact linux has.

in fact, whatever is being taught in schools (other than college)
won't be relevant by the time the kid is out.

Okay. Well, the thing is, college IT classrooms are also teaching
Linux now too. Linux is an OS worth knowing about, and, for some
looking to find jobs in IT when they graduate, they better have an
understanding of it, or another flavor of UNIX in general, or they
might findthemselves unable to compete with those who do. It's not
just a Windows (or mac) world anymore. Not that it ever was, but,
that's besides the point.

http://www.alamo.edu/main.aspx?id=6020
http://continue.austincc.edu/linux

If you want a job these days in IT that pays well, You must know
Linux/UNIX as well as Windows. Mac, ehh, not so much.

chromebooks are very well suited for schools for all sorts of
reasons.

It depends on the school and their IT cash flow situation. Poor
schools are more likely to opt for them.

nonsense.

It's not nonsense. Chromebooks appeal to schools that are cash
strapped. That may be changing again, soon enough though since some
PC laptops are now being priced to compete with them.

linux on the desktop is such a tiny market share that it can be
ignored, which is what most software and hardware developers
do.

You're misinformed.

nope. definitely not.

linux on the desktop has a low single digit market share and
falling.

Linux has a fair share of software and hardware
developers supporting it, with more coming every day.

absolutely wrong.

most developers don't bother with linux because of its tiny market
share. it's simply not worth the effort. it's a money loser.

Do you have any credible urls to support your statement?
Comptia even offers Linux certification now.

I don't think you comprehend how widespread linux use actually is.

You can even
buy various linux distro friendly mainboards that clearly
advertise they're linux friendly. Asus is one such maker. And,
they aren't small time.

that doesn't mean it will be used on the desktop.

It's already being used on the desktop...

linux is great for servers. buy a bunch of asus boxes and set up a
server rack. nothing wrong with that.

Linux certainly shines in the server world. As well as embedded
devices, routers, etc things that allow us to communicate. it's also
gaining ground on the desktop.

for the desktop, however, linux is a horrible choice because of
the sheer lack of software, particularly quality software. major
companies, such as adobe and microsoft, ignore it. even smaller
players, such as garmin, ignore it.

Adobe isn't ignoring Linux...They're supporting flash and reader on
linux, again. Microsoft certainly isn't ignoring it! Where have you been?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Window...stem_for_Linux

Garmins GPS devices run linux....And you can get the garmin to talk
to a linux box, it just may not be as simple as Windows or Mac.

https://developer.garmin.com/open-source/linux/

what's available for linux are low quality apps. the gimp, for
example, is roughly where photoshop was 10-15 years ago and it
runs *substantially* slower on the same hardware.

This is mostly your own personal opinions. I've found great apps for
linux, ****ty apps for linux. Same as with Windows. Same as with Mac.

Gimp isn't supposed to be a replacement for Photoshop, so I don't
see why you're even bringing it up? As far as running substantially
slower on the same hardware, that hasn't been my experience...So,
what hardware specifically are you using for the comparison?

Btw, Gimp supports some of the photoshop native plugins now, too.
http://www.techradar.com/how-to/how-...lugins-in-gimp

Old May 28th 17, 10:19 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Diesel

-hh
Sun, 28
May 2017 00:48:42 GMT in rec.photo.digital, wrote:

Where "benefit of the doubt" is to deliberately ignore prior
statements and free clues, so as to try to brag about your own
supposed knowledge.

Interesting how you try to spin what you did...that is, to brag
about your supposed superior knowledge of IT to my own. In my case,
as David Brooks can also vouch for, what I've told you about my
knowledge is infact, quite true. It's why he tried to hire me to
hack website forums for him. ROFL! He's even provided you a little
detail concerning one particular virus family I wrote. He just
didn't include the fact that particular virus family is seventeen
years old and it was the last one I authored.

I haven't been bragging about anything, as, it's not bragging if you
can back it up, anyhow.

Sorry, but that URL fails to do what you've claimed. Please try
again.

I provided additional details that you conveniently, snipped. After
reading a bit more about you, I understand why you chose to do that.

But since your claimed visit here was merely to "WARN" the
readership about David, anything more is a clear goal posts move.

Initially, the purpose of my visit, after being invited by David
Brooks was to warn others about him, but, as I've already told you,
I will stick around for a bit. Lots of interesting threads to read.

But, there's been no efforts of any kind on my part to move any goal
posts. That's something you've attempted to do a couple of times with me,
so far though.

And you've said, your "job" is done.

In so far as warning others about David the stalker, it is.

Yet you are still here.

That I am.

And still haven't shared any of your photography.

That's not true, either.

Kid, since I've already mentioned some of them, you needing to ask
again shows just how much you're a Painfully Slow Learner (PSL).

My question was more of a smartass one, than an actual inquiry; in
case you missed it. And, by your reply, it's obvious you did.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DejaNews

Btw, I often use I-81 to get from ...

But Dustin did say he doesn't divulge locations ... remember?

Post snippage in the manner you're doing it is a newbie troll method.

Here's the rest of what you snipped:

Btw, I often use I-81 to get from city to city and state to state
when I don't feel like using backroads. Sometimes though, the
backroads are actually faster. But, it depends on time of day, road
conditions, etc.

city to city and state to state is certainly divulging locations, right?
Very specific, no doubt. right?

Keep on shooting yourself in your own foot, kid...er PSL.

LOL, You blew your entire foot off, already:

"After all, one can't run an App which hasn't been installed."

That's just one stupid statement you've written.

It was never unique to GG...You do have other web browser
friendly options, but they aren't all 'free'

You keep claiming that, but still haven't cited even but one such
example. And that's also entirely your failing, no one else's.

Indeed, I have claimed it, because it's true.

Here's four:

http://easynews.com/
http://www.fastusenet.org/
http://gogousenet.com/