Luminar for Windows

Old December 2nd 16, 07:29 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
Savageduck[_3_]

Default Luminar for Windows

For those folks not needing the full weight of Photoshop editing, it
looks like Macphun is going to break out of the MacOS only World and
plans to release a Windows version of their new software, "Luminar"
sometime in 2017. They also plan to add an asset management feature in
2017.
https://macphun.com/luminar

What with Affinity Photo soon to have a Windows final release, things
are looking up on the alternative photo editing choice front. For many
who don't need all that Photoshop provides they will be good options.

Savageduck

Old December 2nd 16, 09:42 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
PeterN[_6_]

On 12/2/2016 1:29 PM, Savageduck wrote:
For those folks not needing the full weight of Photoshop editing, it
looks like Macphun is going to break out of the MacOS only World and
plans to release a Windows version of their new software, "Luminar"
sometime in 2017. They also plan to add an asset management feature in
2017.
https://macphun.com/luminar

What with Affinity Photo soon to have a Windows final release, things
are looking up on the alternative photo editing choice front. For many
who don't need all that Photoshop provides they will be good options.

As will On1 and DxO.
https://www.on1.com/

--
PeterN
Old December 2nd 16, 10:00 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2016-12-02 20:42:07 +0000, PeterN said:

On 12/2/2016 1:29 PM, Savageduck wrote:
For those folks not needing the full weight of Photoshop editing, it
looks like Macphun is going to break out of the MacOS only World and
plans to release a Windows version of their new software, "Luminar"
sometime in 2017. They also plan to add an asset management feature in
2017.
https://macphun.com/luminar

What with Affinity Photo soon to have a Windows final release, things
are looking up on the alternative photo editing choice front. For many
who don't need all that Photoshop provides they will be good options.

As will On1 and DxO.
https://www.on1.com/

I have been dissapointed with the way On1 have handle this release.

They have been hyping ON1 RAW Photo since April with the promise of a
Fall release. Then on November 23, when they still aren't ready for
primetime they rush out a "Prerelease Beta" which has been a disaster
with the promise, after all the complaints that they will have some
fixes in a "Prerelease Update" next week. Allegedly all is supposed to
be ready for the December 19, final release, with additional refinement
through 2017.

I am running the Beta and there are many issues, but when it is working
(for me via Lightroom) there is a speed improvement over On1 Photo 10,
especially with the seamless transitions between modules. A lot of
promise, but not yet ready for primetime.

So far the promise of the hype has not matched what they have delivered.

Savageduck

Old December 2nd 16, 11:20 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2016-12-02 21:39:33 +0000, Tony Cooper said:

On Fri, 2 Dec 2016 13:00:38 -0800, Savageduck

On 2016-12-02 20:42:07 +0000, PeterN said:

[...]

I'm not particularly interested in any of the alternatives to LR/PS as
I'm able to process my output the way I want to using CC.

My primary workflow is still LR+PS CC and it does most of what I need
(with the occasional assistance of a plugin or two). However, I am
fascinated with the development of many of the alternatives, and I have
the time to play. From time to time it is interesting to use one of the
other tools I have available to me.

However, I'm pleased to see the competition. Adobe has been very good
at adding new features on a regular basis, but the spur of competition
will keep them on their toes.

Agreed. That said, I have no major complaints with LR or PS of late.

Now AlienSkin has also added Exposure X2 into the mix for both Windows
and MacOS.
http://www.alienskin.com/exposure/
https://youtu.be/AGsUau1dgjQ?list=PLMdft2DwTmbaryNIYxQOMaIo_lrRZghh g

There was recent video in PetaPixel by Nate Dodson at Tutvid about the
inadequacy of PS's new Select and Mask feature and the dropping of the
previous Refine Edge feature. I totally agree with him. This is the
type of thing that the presence of competition might shake Adobe up
and result in improvements.

....and I have no doubt that Adobe will continue to add value to the CC
as the competition heats up.

Savageduck

Old December 3rd 16, 03:10 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Bill W

On Fri, 02 Dec 2016 16:39:33 -0500, Tony Cooper
wrote:

However, I'm pleased to see the competition. Adobe has been very good
at adding new features on a regular basis, but the spur of competition
will keep them on their toes.

It will also keep downward pressure on their subscription pricing.
Old December 3rd 16, 04:24 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
PeterN[_6_]

On 12/2/2016 4:00 PM, Savageduck wrote:
On 2016-12-02 20:42:07 +0000, PeterN said:

[...]

True. My only point is that viable alternatives are coming and
competition is good.

--
PeterN
Old December 3rd 16, 04:30 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
PeterN[_6_]

On 2016-12-02 20:42:07 +0000, PeterN said:

[...]

Refine edge is alive and well:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ADEs24vhOQ

--
PeterN
Old December 3rd 16, 06:56 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On Friday, 2 December 2016 16:00:46 UTC-5, Savageduck wrote:
On 2016-12-02 20:42:07 +0000, PeterN said:

[...]

How do you know which cameras they support and what their release rate
will be with subsequent camera models?

They currently claim to support over 800 cameras, and they have a
schedule for development updates which are supposed to include support
for new camera releases. The new ON1 RAW Photo deals with RAW files as
a Developer, which is different to the way their current plugin
offering ON1 Photo 10 works.
Personally I hope they work out all the current teething problems to
produce a good alternative.

This is their development release road map for 2017.
Note they cover themselves by saying, "As new cameras are released,
they will be added in updates":
https://www.on1.com/products/photo-raw/coming-soon/

Savageduck

Old December 3rd 16, 05:05 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
PeterN[_6_]

On 2016-12-02 20:42:07 +0000, PeterN said:

[...]

If you have used it in the past, and have tried the current version in
CC2017, you may not include "well" in that sentence.

You can, of course, open CC2015 and use the old version.

Your statement was that the refine edge feature had been dropped. the
feature was not dropped. It is different and is working well enough for
my uses.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/97242118/Central%20park%20zoo_0004.jpg

--
PeterN
Old May 24th 17, 12:36 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
[email protected]

It is now official!
Luminar and Aurora HDR will soon be available on Windows.

Moreover, the public beta of Luminar for PC will be available in July - we’d love for you to give Luminar a test drive and help us make it as outstanding as it can possibly be.

Stay in the know: https://macphun.com/pc