My thanks to Davoud!

Old July 29th 17, 05:49 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_6_]

Default My thanks to Davoud!

On 7/27/2017 10:03 PM, Davoud wrote:
Davoud:
P.S.
Here's one more y'all might like
https://www.flickr.com/photos/primeval/34885963754.

PeterN:
Very well done. did you use focus stacking?

Indeed, in Photoshop CC 2017. The key to making such photos and showing
details is big, soft light, I have found. That's a 500 watt-second
studio flash in a softbox with a white foamcore reflector. Sam Droege
of the USGS Bee Inventory and Monitoring Lab, just down the road from
me in Beltsville, MD, uses an analogous technique, though he makes many
more such photos than I do and his setup is geared for mass production.
See the BIML Flickr page here https://www.flickr.com/photos/usgsbiml/
and read about his technique in this PDF
ftp://ftpext.usgs.gov/pub/er/md/laur...Take%20MacroPh
otographs%20of%20Insects%20BIML%20Lab2.pdf.

I tried the BIML technique a few years ago, when I was just starting in
photographing small arthropods and flowers, and I found it to be
unsuitable my purposes, in part because my "laboratory" is a kitchen
counter. But BIML's top-quality photos show that it works for Droege
and his crew.

For my setup, please see this photo of a blue mud dauber wasp,
Chalybion californicum,
https://www.flickr.com/photos/primeval/7749871750 and my "laboratory"
setup for that photo at
https://www.flickr.com/photos/primeval/18783033861.

Unfortunately, the ISP at the motel here decided not to let me into
Flickr any more.. I will have to wait until I get home and catch my
breath, early next week. We went to Lenox, MA for the BSO concert. On
this trip we plan to see the Saratoga battlefield for the first time.

--
PeterN
Old July 29th 17, 05:52 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_6_]

On 7/27/2017 10:03 PM, Davoud wrote:

snip

For my setup, please see this photo of a blue mud dauber wasp,
Chalybion californicum,
https://www.flickr.com/photos/primeval/7749871750 and my "laboratory"
setup for that photo at
https://www.flickr.com/photos/primeval/18783033861.

I meant to add. is there a way of using focus stacking out in the field,
with wild bugs, and the flowers blowing in the wind?

--
PeterN
Old July 29th 17, 05:58 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_6_]

On 7/28/2017 12:39 AM, Bill W wrote:
On Fri, 28 Jul 2017 00:01:19 -0400, Ron C wrote:

On 7/27/2017 9:13 PM, Bill W wrote:
On Thu, 27 Jul 2017 21:10:45 -0400, PeterN
wrote:

On 7/27/2017 4:34 PM, David B. wrote:
On 27-Jul-17 8:22 PM, PeterN wrote:
On 7/27/2017 1:41 PM, David B. wrote:
On 27-Jul-17 3:13 PM, Savageduck wrote:
On Jul 27, 2017, David B. wrote
(in article ):

On 26-Jul-17 9:08 PM, Savageduck wrote:
On Jul 26, 2017, Savageduck wrote
(in iganews.com):

On Jul 26, 2017, PeterN wrote
(in article ):

On 7/26/2017 10:47 AM, David B. wrote:
On 26-Jul-17 3:35 PM, PeterN wrote:
On 7/26/2017 2:24 AM, RichA wrote:
On Tuesday, 18 July 2017 04:45:54 UTC-4, David B. wrote:
I've just viewed the most fantastic images of birds - I have
never
seen
finer, EVER!

Other folk may view them he-
http://www.primordial-light.com/aves.html

I've made a note to explore David's work further when I
return home to
my iMac!

Thank you for providing the route to find you, Davoud! :-D

David B.

Difficult, getting that close to a bird like those in the
wild and
not spooking them.

Unless they are acclimated to people, or you use a long lens..
https://www.dropbox.com/s/rqsbscqwac...son%20birds%20

oy
ter%20cathcers%20terns_4192%20crop.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/9fjzuep8syetz60/my%20dinner.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ycftpxc2x5...%20with%20fish

.j
g?dl=0

The images at the links you posted, Peter, are not a patch on the
quality of those photographs taken by Davoud (in MY opinion,
anyway).

OK. You certainly are entitled to your opinion. Reasons for your
opinion
would be appreciated.

I can’t speak for David and his opinion, but I have my
opinion, and
observations regarding those three shots.

Starting with the Oyster catcher. At first I thought this was
your old
Oyster
catcher shot from a few years back, then I saw that this was
recently
captured with the D500. The image quality (IQ) is awful, and that
seems to
be
a result of several things, including your usual crop, and poor
focusing on
this particular part of your frame. If this is a demonstration of
the IQ
capability of the D500, I am disappointed.

The hawk shot is just a ridiculously severe crop resulting in an
image not
much better than a thumbnail. It hardly seemed worth posting. I
certainly
have managed to wring out better quality images with my D70.

The Osprey is a great capture, but again suffers from your
cropping, and
sharpening techniques in post. The edge halo detracts from the
image just
as
it did when you first shared it.

BTW: here is a D70 shot of Osprey with snack from 2004.
https://www.dropbox.com/preview/Shared/Demo/dsc0067C.jpg

Your comments say exactly what *I* had thought - thank you.

Your link doesn't 'work' for me. :-(

Try this:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/thwydbv8ozw10gi/dsc0067C.jpg

Wow! What a fantastic capture.

Thanks for sharing with everyone here, 'Duck. :-)

Using the word "fantastic" is quite an overstatement. It's a well
focused image. The shadows are blocked, and although the bird's
expression clearly says "don't even think to taking my fish, the
composition is ruined by the static composition. Nice, yes, fantastic,
no.

As you recently said to me .....

...... everyone is entitled to their own opinion. ;-)

I certainly don't intend to force my opinion on anyone. I should have
made it clear that comment was just my opinion.

You shouldn't have to. It should already be clear that everything on
usenet is opinion.

I'm surprised "nospam" hasn't disagreed yet. ;-)

Well, I assume he agrees. But I'd bet he also knows that I don't mean
literally everything...

Sadly, the use of exaggerations is becoming politically correct. I spent
my working life taking words for their literal meaning, and see no
reason to change. And yes I know what puffery is.

--
PeterN
Old July 29th 17, 07:03 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On Jul 28, 2017, PeterN wrote
(in article ):

Unfortunately, the ISP at the motel here decided not to let me into
Flickr any more..

Where is this motel?

I will have to wait until I get home and catch my
breath, early next week. We went to Lenox, MA for the BSO concert. On
this trip we plan to see the Saratoga battlefield for the first time.

Saratoga, that is in my old stomping grounds. Technically the Saratoga Battle
field stretches from Ticonderoga down to just North of Albany. Then it has a
reset up the Mohawk to Oriskany. That is an easy enough drive from Lenox.
Just take 90 to Albany, and then 87 to Saratoga Springs.

How much of Upstate are you planning to explore on this trip?

Savageduck

Old July 29th 17, 07:21 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On Jul 28, 2017, PeterN wrote
(in article ):

Sadly, the use of exaggerations is becoming politically correct. I spent
my working life taking words for their literal meaning, and see no
reason to change. And yes I know what puffery is.

Aah! Scaramucci, thy name is puffery.

Savageduck

Old July 29th 17, 01:58 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_6_]

On 7/29/2017 2:03 AM, Savageduck wrote:
On Jul 28, 2017, PeterN wrote
(in article ):

Unfortunately, the ISP at the motel here decided not to let me into
Flickr any more..

Where is this motel?

I will have to wait until I get home and catch my
breath, early next week. We went to Lenox, MA for the BSO concert. On
this trip we plan to see the Saratoga battlefield for the first time.

Saratoga, that is in my old stomping grounds. Technically the Saratoga Battle
field stretches from Ticonderoga down to just North of Albany. Then it has a
reset up the Mohawk to Oriskany. That is an easy enough drive from Lenox.
Just take 90 to Albany, and then 87 to Saratoga Springs.

How much of Upstate are you planning to explore on this trip?

We will only have today, tomorrow morning it's the botanical gardens,
then the concert at Lenox, then home. I would appreciate info on
photogenic areas you have any suggestions.

--
PeterN
Old July 29th 17, 02:57 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On Jul 29, 2017, PeterN wrote
(in article ):

[...]

Photogenic is in the eye of the beholder. However, there is plenty of scenic
landscape up there.

In the area North of Albany I have always enjoyed Corinth, Lake Luzerne, and
Lake George. There is always something fascinating to find in the Mohawk
Valley mill towns if you head up the ThruWay, or Rte 5 (a better scenic drive
without tolls) from Albany. I haven’t been in the Albany/Saratoga Springs
area, other than driving through, since 1974, and I am sure that much has
changed.

The last time I visited Upstate was in 2005, and then it was to visit family
in Syracuse and Utica. Once family obligations were met we were able to take
a scenic drive through the Adirondacks with overnight stops in Old Forge, and
Lake Placid. Then across Lake Champlain to Burlington, VT, and back to NYC.
That was a tough trip as my wife was not doing well and was mobility
restricted to her wheelchair. It is time I made another trip back East.

Savageduck

Old July 29th 17, 11:27 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Davoud

Davoud:
For my setup, please see this photo of a blue mud dauber wasp,
Chalybion californicum,
https://www.flickr.com/photos/primeval/7749871750 and my "laboratory"
setup for that photo at
https://www.flickr.com/photos/primeval/18783033861.

PeterN:
I meant to add. is there a way of using focus stacking out in the field,
with wild bugs, and the flowers blowing in the wind?

Tricky. Very tricky. In my experience, for focus stacking, the subject
needs to be very still. Still, as in "dead." I've had focus stacking
fail because the subject (mounted on an insect pin as seen in the
"setup" link above) shifted ever so slightly.

you will say in your entire life.

usenet *at* davidillig dawt cawm
Old July 30th 17, 01:48 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Davoud

PeterN:
Sadly, the use of exaggerations is becoming politically correct. I spent
my working life taking words for their literal meaning, and see no
reason to change.

And I spent my working life as a linguist, where literal translations
were apt to be laughable. I translated /meanings/ .

Old July 30th 17, 04:05 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_6_]

On 7/29/2017 9:57 AM, Savageduck wrote:
snip

Photogenic is in the eye of the beholder. However, there is plenty of scenic
landscape up there.

Does that principle apply to digital noise?
Is there an absolute tolerance level, Or a relative one that depends
upon the image.