Where I keep my spare cats.

Old July 25th 17, 02:44 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

Default PeterN Music Tx issue: was Where I keep my spare cats.

In article , PeterN
wrote:

Yawn

it's past your bedtime.
Old July 28th 17, 02:20 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Diesel

Default Where I keep my spare cats.

Ken Hart news Mon, 24 Jul 2017 11:49:24 GMT in rec.photo.digital, wrote:

On 07/24/2017 12:40 AM, Diesel wrote:
PeterN news Mon, 24 Jul 2017 00:21:36 GMT in rec.photo.digital, wrote:

On 7/23/2017 3:05 PM, nospam wrote:

snip

five is actually rather generous. most people don't even own
five computers.

Irrelevant.

I don't know where this person comes up with most either.. I know
quite a few people with more than five computers in their homes.
Actual computers in the desktop/tower/laptop sense. More if you
include the cells, tablets, etc.

I have fifteen functional computers here, all hardwire connected
to my network and online. Of those, six are laptops (Dell Latitude
E6500), four are desktops (HP dc5800), and five are older towers
(Dell & others). All are running Ubuntu Linux, and are perfectly
capable of doing whatever task I need done.

[g]

I'm more of a Linux Mint guy, but, I've got CentOS running, RealOS
(freebsd's new name) and a few flavors of Windows mostly in vm, aside
from this machine that's still running XP natively.

By nospam's definition, I am "most people". (nospam: "most people
don't even own five computers." I don't even own five computers,
ergo, I am "most people")

LOL!

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are. --Talmudic
saying
Old July 28th 17, 02:20 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Diesel

nospam
Mon, 24 Jul 2017
13:12:31 GMT in rec.photo.digital, wrote:

In article
XnsA7BC8D6E5FD1HT1@5Ey7Y0WLaPuERU0A05uPw88DhkqXmR dYH29POSXNQp8t9iy
KPynW. 27RaAms, Diesel wrote:

Realistically, the restrictions creates a problem. Several
years ago my daughter gave me an iPod, about half filled with
some of my favorite music. The source for the music was my
music collection, consisting of some irreplaceable recordings,
including original Louis Armstrong, Toscanini, Caruso, Lanza,
three different versions of Wagner's first, etc. The original
computer that she used is long gone. I would like to transfer
the music to my iPhone, and add new music. Apple has told me
that it can't be done. I'm sure there is a way. The suggestions
on some of the Internet forums has not been very helpful.
Realistically, the reality is that you don't know what the hell
you are talking about. Don't give me that bull about "most."
There are many others who have needs similar to mine.

Indeed. DRM is a real ****er isn't it. No decryption key, no
tunes. Praise be to Apple for screwing you and countless others
like you over, two ways from sunday. /sarcasm off. I meant no
offense to you Peter, you've called him out and that brings a
smile to my face.

drm isn't the issue and no decryption keys needed. you can't see
past your hate to understand the actual problem.

Alright then. What is the actual problem? And, why would Apple tell
him that it can't be done? Are you claiming that you know more than
Apple does about their own stuff?

he didn't back up his music when he got rid of the computer.

You really need to take a course on reading comprehension. He said
nothing about him doing anything with the computer.

despite that, he can easily copy the music off the ipod. apple
doesn't prevent that.

Why did Apple tell him it cannot be done?

I don't know where this person comes up with most either.. I know
quite a few people with more than five computers in their homes.
Actual computers in the desktop/tower/laptop sense. More if you
include the cells, tablets, etc.

*very* few have that many computers and cellphones and tablets do
not count, along with ipods.

I'd have to disagree with you. I run into people quite a bit than own
five or more computers... and these are used for personal activities,
I'm not even including Business owners. cellphones,tables, etc
certainly could be counted, especially when you began to involve them
in the discussion already in progress. I simply discounted them for
the purposes of the discussion. Now, it seems you wish to do the
same.

Cat fur expands to fill all available drives.
Old July 28th 17, 02:20 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Diesel

PeterN news Tue, 25 Jul 2017 01:31:00 GMT in rec.photo.digital, wrote:

On 7/24/2017 5:35 PM, -hh wrote:
On Monday, July 24, 2017 at 4:11:34 PM UTC-4, peterN wrote:
On 7/24/2017 3:31 PM, nospam wrote:
-hh wrote:

..math snipped..

M = Expected value of units owned by those who report owning
more than one = 2.3

Given that this is less than half of the DRM "limit 5", it
again indicates that a relatively small percentage of all
users would statistically be likely to encounter the limit.

exactly the point.

FWIW, what's probably much more likely is that old PCs get
retired off without being properly removed such that over a
course of several years of buying new replacement computers
(and/or a family household) that the "limit 5" gets
encountered. However, since the DRM was later eliminated, this
is more of a footnote to a functionally moot point.

also true, however, should that happen it's trivial to reset
it.

it's a non-issue, except to haters, who wouldn't use the
products even if any of that didn't exist.

Trivial if you know how.

Last time I looked, its an option on one of the pulldown menus in
iTunes.

My recollection is that I found it awhile back while deliberating
how hard it would be to get an old 12" G4 Powerbook running again
to have it delist itself in iTunes, versus doing a "Master Reset"
and having to re-authorize all current PCs on the DRM account.

Of course, a third option was to burn/re-import all of the old
DRM protected tracks so that it would all be effectively moot.

-hh

Thanks,
I am seeking to avoid doing that, as it would take several days,
and I would need to find a good turntable to transfer the vinyl
tracks. The Toscanini and Armstrong tracks alone would be almost
half a day.

So it is an issue of DRM then. As in this was done when DRM was being
enforced...

Cats must drink the bathwater while their human is taking a bath.
Old July 30th 17, 05:13 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Diesel
wrote:

[...]

i already explained the problem and that it has nothing to do with drm.

peter stated that the music was originally from vinyl records, *not*
from the itunes store (or any other music store for that matter), so
the music couldn't possibly have *any* drm whatsoever.

you can't see past your hatred to see the real issues. instead, you
just blindly blame apple and drm.

as for tech support, they rarely know much of anything other than
what's in their script, especially the front line people, whether it's
apple or any other company.

he didn't back up his music when he got rid of the computer.

You really need to take a course on reading comprehension. He said
nothing about him doing anything with the computer.

it ain't me who has a reading comprehension problem.

he said this:
The original
computer that she used is long gone. I would like to transfer...

if he still had the original computer, it would have the music on it,
which could easily be transferred to any other computer or device at
any time.

if he had made a backup before getting rid of the computer, the music
would be on the backup, which could easily be transferred to any other
computer or device.

if the music was uploaded to the cloud, such as itunes match, google
music, amazon music or some other service, he'd have access to it from
multiple devices and/or could download it to a computer or device at
any time.

not having *any* backup of something that is supposedly 'irreplaceable'
is incredibly shocking, let alone not having multiple backups of it.

in other words, user error.

that said, all is not lost.

whatever music is currently on his ipod can easily be copied to another
computer without any issue, and that would be even be true if the music
did have drm (which it does not).

despite that, he can easily copy the music off the ipod. apple
doesn't prevent that.

Why did Apple tell him it cannot be done?

that could be for any number of reasons. just because one tech support
person supposedly said something doesn't make it fact. tech support
often says things that are wrong and we don't know what specifically he
asked or whether he misunderstood whatever answer was given.

I don't know where this person comes up with most either.. I know
quite a few people with more than five computers in their homes.
Actual computers in the desktop/tower/laptop sense. More if you
include the cells, tablets, etc.

*very* few have that many computers and cellphones and tablets do
not count, along with ipods.

I'd have to disagree with you. I run into people quite a bit than own
five or more computers... and these are used for personal activities,
I'm not even including Business owners. cellphones,tables, etc
certainly could be counted, especially when you began to involve them
in the discussion already in progress. I simply discounted them for
the purposes of the discussion. Now, it seems you wish to do the
same.

the plural of anecdote is not data.

i didn't say nobody has more than five computers, i said it's rare, and
it is.

the average is approximately *three* computers, up from around 1.5
computers when the ipod first came out and shortly before the itunes
music store debuted.

https://www.reference.com/technology...ters-per-house
hold-75eb5f140829db98#
In 2012, the average American household had three computers, up from
an average of only 1.56 in 2000. The U.S. has the fourth-highest
concentration of computers per household, after Bahrain, Kuwait and
Qatar.

microsoft also had a five computer limit, except their drm is history
and their users are screwed.

your hatred is directed at the wrong company.

https://betanews.com/2008/04/23/micr...for-msn-music-
drm/
Although the music will continue to play on computers that have been
authorized by that date, users will no longer be able to transfer
tunes to any other machine, or even to play them on the same PC if
they change operating systems, including upgrading from Windows XP to
Windows Vista.

Up to now, Plays For Sure DRM technology has allowed ex-MSN Music
subscribers to switch authorization to new machines and OS, so long
as they keep abiding by a previously imposed limit of five computers.
But as of September, the MSN Music approval servers will fade into
history, and users will need to stick with the machines and OS
they've chosen by then.
Old July 31st 17, 09:43 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_6_]

On 7/30/2017 12:13 AM, nospam wrote:

he said this:
[...]

Since I have first hand knowledge of my problem, and some here wish to
provide an answer based upon situation A, when situation A is not the
issue. I will simplify.

All music on my iPod is backed up.
I can easily transfer the existing tracks to my iPhone.
My issue is modifying by adding additional music.
(All of which is legally owned.)

--
PeterN
Old July 31st 17, 09:51 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

that's not what you said originally:

The original
computer that she used is long gone. I would like to transfer
the music to my iPhone, and add new music. Apple has told me
that it can't be done. I'm sure there is a way.

and based on the revised situation, there is no problem.

My issue is modifying by adding additional music.
(All of which is legally owned.)

also very easy to do and again, not the original stated problem.
Old July 31st 17, 11:15 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_7_]

On 7/31/2017 4:51 PM, nospam wrote:
In article , PeterN
wrote:

[...]

Do read the words: "and add new music," that is stated in my original
post, and quoted above by you.
I clearly used the word "and" as a conjunctive. You decided to rant
about only the first part.

--
PeterN
Old July 31st 17, 11:21 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , PeterN
wrote:

Since I have first hand knowledge of my problem, and some here wish to
provide an answer based upon situation A, when situation A is not the
issue. I will simplify.

All music on my iPod is backed up.
I can easily transfer the existing tracks to my iPhone.

that's not what you said originally:

The original
computer that she used is long gone. I would like to transfer
the music to my iPhone, and add new music. Apple has told me
that it can't be done. I'm sure there is a way.

and based on the revised situation, there is no problem.

My issue is modifying by adding additional music.
(All of which is legally owned.)

also very easy to do and again, not the original stated problem.

Do read the words: "and add new music," that is stated in my original
post, and quoted above by you.

as i said, it's very easy to do.

I clearly used the word "and" as a conjunctive. You decided to rant
about only the first part.

nope.
Old July 31st 17, 11:50 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On Jul 31, 2017, PeterN wrote
(in article ):

On 7/31/2017 4:51 PM, nospam wrote:
In , PeterN
wrote:

[...]

I think I finally understand your problem.

In all you have said on this matter, are you saying that on this gift iPod
from your daughter, you have never added any music?
All you have on this iPod is a collection of your music from other different
media your daughter digitized.

Do you have any idea of the total file size of all the mp3’s on this iPod
(10-20-60GB)?

Have you ever connected this iPod to your computer, if so, have you ever
backed-up the content?

Does your daughter have the digital/digitized files she added to this iPod?
If she does, have her send you those files in any number of ways from burning
the mp3 files, not the music to a data CD/DVD, or on a Flash memory stick, or
via a cloud service.

Once you have those mp3 files on YOUR computer, it will be a simple task to
add that music to your iPhone using iTunes.

Your other option would be to use an app such as iAmazing, which I have
already suggested, to back-up the iPod content to your computer. Then it will
be a simple task to use iTunes to add the music to your iPhone.

Savageduck