pentax super a (super program) problem

Old January 3rd 06, 08:06 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm

Default pentax super a (super program) problem

Hi all,

I own a Pentax Super A / Super Program SLR camera, which I've been using for
quite a while now

Last week, I loaded a new film, and when I wanted to take some pictures
today, I noticed something strange: the shutter speed seems te be locked at
1/1000 sec. When I put the camera into programmed mode, the shutter always
is 1/1000 sec, no matter where I point the camera at; when I put the camera
into shutter priority or manual mode, I can't change the shutter speed
either. If I put the shutter speed dial to 1/125 that works however

I wouldn't know what the problem could be, batteries seem to be ok, and the
camera hasn't been dropped either

Has anyone experienced this problem before or know what could be the problem

I'm trying this option first, before considering sending it to Pentax for
reparation, which would probably cost me more than bying a 2nd hand body

thanks for your tips

steven

Old January 3rd 06, 09:54 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm

Hi the Super A defaults to 1/1000 sec when a new film is loaded for the
"first two" frames until the film is wound onto the first frame. Is the
frame counter working as this may be stuck

--
All outgoing emails are scanned with Norton Antivirus 2005

Old January 4th 06, 04:20 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm

[...]

1/125 is probably the flash-synch setting, which is independent of the
meter. So the problem is with any speed that uses the internal meter. (for
what it's worth)

Old January 4th 06, 09:34 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm

Steven Palmaers wrote:

[...]

According to the manual, when loading film the shutter speed stays at
1000 until the film count reaches zero. "This fast speed saves time when
advancing film to the first frame."

http://www.pentaximaging.com/files/m...er_Program.pdf

Page 7. See also p. 60

"*Only the "1000" indication appears on the shutter speed LCD in spite
of the fact that the exposure mode is properly set. Repeat film
advancing operation until the film counter registers "1". (See page 7)"

IIRC, 1/125 is the manual X-sync.
Old January 4th 06, 11:16 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm

hi steve mailed me this

Old January 5th 06, 12:44 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm

Since you've been using it a while, then you are (thoug
other readers may not be) familiar with the issue that
the body sets to 1/1000 until advancing to frame #1.

But to your issue:
Low batteries are a common cause of this.

Collin
Super Program, KX, *istDS