Nikon CoolPIX 5700

Old September 6th 04, 07:41 PM
Richard Tomkins

Default Nikon CoolPIX 5700

Nikon CoolPIX 5700

I have been using RAW mode more often than not recently.

My CF cards are all 1X speed, so I end up waiting fo rthe CCD to empty into
the card before being able to take another shot.

If I were to purchase one of the newer 60X cards made by any of a number of
manufacturers, will I actually see an improvement in saving images, or not.
In other words, will this model of camera support the faster cards and will
it actually make use of them at the higher speeds.

Appreciate all knowledgeable answers.

Old September 7th 04, 11:41 AM
Timmy

Try posting at: http://www.nikonians.org/cgi-bin/dcforum/dcboard.cgi

Old September 7th 04, 03:08 PM
Cooter

I also use a CP5700 and RAW mode. I have 12x cards and if I shoot 3 shots in
quick succession, it will take about 3-1/2 minutes to write them completely,
or just over a minute each. You are probably aware that you can shoot the
second and third exposure while the first is writing to the card, but three
in succession seems to be the limit.

I have read in previous posts that there is a CF card speed limit that the
CP5700 can take advantage of, but I don't remember what it is. I'm almost
sure it's in the range of 12x or so, so a 40x or 60x card would not be worth
the extra cost. Hope this helps.

news

Old September 8th 04, 02:37 AM
Frank ess

Ed Ruf wrote:
On Mon, 6 Sep 2004 14:41:39 -0400, in rec.photo.digital "Richard
Tomkins" wrote:

Nikon CoolPIX 5700

I have been using RAW mode more often than not recently.

My CF cards are all 1X speed, so I end up waiting fo rthe CCD to
empty into the card before being able to take another shot.

If I were to purchase one of the newer 60X cards made by any of a
number of manufacturers, will I actually see an improvement in
saving images, or not. In other words, will this model of camera
support the faster cards and will it actually make use of them at
the higher speeds.

The 57o0 does not support WA cards. I get the same speed from my old
128MB 8x Lexar as a newer 40xWA Lexar.

The CP8700 does take advantage of the technology, and the effect of a
40X card is reMARKable.

--
Frank ess

Old September 9th 04, 01:07 AM
Richard Tomkins

Thankyou everyone for the response.

You just saved me a bundle. I guess I'll just have to put up with this slow
speed in RAW mode and accommodate it as best I can. Thank goodness I kept my
NIKON F and all the various lenses.

Maybe in the next two years or so, there will be some better technology
available. For now, my film efforts still do better than Digital, especially
distance shots. I have a 900 mm lens for the F and the 5700 can't begin to
touch that.