shortlisted new cams for me, comments appreciated

Old October 14th 04, 11:01 AM
AusDigi

Default shortlisted new cams for me, comments appreciated

I've short-listed some cameras below (in order of preference) that I'll look
at to replace my broken 3-y-o cam. Got the features that are most important
to me listed (Megapixel, zoom, macro). Despite having an Olympus I probably
won't go with one this time because of the expensive media.

Particularly interested in the first 3, Minolta Z3 (great specs), Fuji S7000
(year old now) and Panasonic DMC-FZ10. Researching such places as
www.steves-digicams.com and www.dpreview.com but additional comments are
appreciated.

Would have been good to get a few more megapix with 10x or 12x zoom but
these are about in my price range.

Minolta DiMAGE Z3
4 MPixel
12x Zoom
1cm Macro

Fuji FinePix S7000
6
6x
1cm

Panasonic DMC-FZ10
4
12x
5cm

Canon PowerShot S1
6
6x
10cm

Nikon Coolpix 5400
5
10x
3cm

Olympus C-750 UZ
4
10x
3cm

Olympus C-770
4
10x
7cm

--
http://rnr.id.au

Old October 14th 04, 12:11 PM
Larry

says...
[...]

All of the above are good cameras.
Without looking it up I cant be sure, but I think the Z3 has fairly common
problem with switching between LCD and viewfiner.

The Fuji S7000 is a pretty good camera, with a generic hot shoe, and built in
interpolation to 12mp if you choose to use it. The interpolation can be
avoided by shooting RAW or setting the camera to 6mp in the menu. NOT great
for low light as it has no built in "low light focus illuminator", but in all
other aspects it is a good performer. The minimum ISO on the S7000 is ISO
200 NOT ISO 100 as with many others. However, it has substantialy less noise
at ISO 200 than does my Sony F-828. It also can use CF-cards as well as XD
memory cards. Initially the camera had a problem with battery drain while off
if a cf card was installed, but this problem was fixed after the initial
release of the camera. Also Fuji repaired or replaced any S7000 that had the
problem, if the customer requested it.

I cant speak for the others as I havent used them to any extent.

I have shot more than 2200 pictures with my S7000 and have been quite pleased
overall. That camera can be found for less than $400 (US) in many places.

--
Larry Lynch
Mystic, Ct.