This Morning in the Park

Old April 26th 15, 12:40 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

Default This Morning in the Park

This morning I had the opportunity to give the X-E2 a more strenuous
workout, all shots were captured RAW (RAF) only. I only used the FX
18-55mm f/2.8-4.0. There were a few situations I would have liked to
have had a wider lens, but I made do with what I had. The FX 14. f/2.8
or the FX 10-24mm f/4.0 would have been useful to have available. I had
left the D300S and the Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8 in the car.

I checked out several aspects such as burst mode (I used "Low" frame
rate as I was trying to limit the number of exposures), exposure
bracketing, AF speed, AF accuracy, and feel of the tiny camera in my
oversized mitts.

The first thing I noticed in single image capture, write time between
shots of the RAW files to a Lexar Pro SDHC 600x card seem to be
noticable, whereas with my D300S I never thought about it.
In burst mode with the capture of 3-5 frames delay was not an issue.

It is quiet, no mirror slapping about.

I am quite satisfied with IQ, but I have a bit more to do regarding
exploring the capbilities of this camera.

Anyway here is a shot taken this morning. First the EXIF data, then a
resized version, followed by a full resolution JPEG:
EXIFL
https://app.box.com/s/p5ye5dj7n0t9hj64uw2j0n00fnotcc1f

Resized JPEG 888 KB:
https://app.box.com/s/ggarq4naazse20waam2ommolccj2jg93

Full Res JPEG 11.4 MB:
https://app.box.com/s/pchatc4k075x2n81mag9r0n99a9wlrib

Savageduck

Old April 26th 15, 12:52 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2015-04-25 23:40:12 +0000, Savageduck said:

[...]

....and another:
https://app.box.com/s/3osmrg4ie0torvk300sw1pl8kxpasumw

Savageduck

Old April 26th 15, 01:27 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2015-04-25 23:40:12 +0000, Savageduck said:

[...]

....and a few mo
https://app.box.com/s/injio8ztm2jmjknru6972c1e7833iiia
https://app.box.com/s/q5efohvz2n2aja0z8f71g3vxw27wf5qp
https://app.box.com/s/ksmavi6yhxfd615u5c9we3kpokc15nyr
https://app.box.com/s/3k243j4vaxb8i8dv4fdc13brjrul4aa4
https://app.box.com/s/3p8fdd913cc0as7e5s3382t0ekg6e50l

Savageduck

Old April 26th 15, 01:53 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2015-04-25 23:40:12 +0000, Savageduck said:

[...]

In making a comparison between the D300S and the X-E2 IQ, I believe
there are two factors at play.
16 MP vs 12 MP, and the lack of anti-moiré filtering with the X-E2.

Savageduck

Old April 26th 15, 03:54 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2015-04-25 23:40:12 +0000, Savageduck said:

This morning I had the opportunity to give the X-E2 a more strenuous
workout, all shots were captured RAW (RAF) only. I only used the FX
18-55mm f/2.8-4.0. There were a few situations I would have liked to
have had a wider lens, but I made do with what I had. The FX 14. f/2.8
or the FX 10-24mm f/4.0 would have been useful to have available. I had
left the D300S and the Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8 in the car.

I just checked, and of the 133 shots I took this morning 85 were
between 18-24mm and I would have liked the flexibility of going wider
than 18mm for quite a few of those. So the 10-24mm f/4.0 is looking
like a good candidate for meeting that need of mine.

....and there was more in the park this morning than bikes+sidecars and
four wheeled vehicles.
https://app.box.com/s/fkjzzh5rt7gf8ikdw2iri2lwnvn05y4z

Savageduck

Old April 27th 15, 07:46 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Sandman

In article , Savageduck wrote:

[...]

-- Regards,

Savageduck

Unmodified? Colors are a bit washed, aren't they? And contrast is a bit low

--
Sandman
Old April 27th 15, 07:52 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Sandman

Savageduck:
On 2015-04-25 23:40:12 +0000, Savageduck said:

[...]

I can't help but think that colors are a bit too washed/desaturated, and I'm
wondering if it's post-processing on your part, a "scene" mode in the camera or
something else.

It's not that I dislike it, I like desaturated images, but it seems consistent
and I would rather have it be a choice on my part when and if it should be
desaturated.

--
Sandman
Old April 27th 15, 06:09 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

In article ,
Savageduck:
On 2015-04-25 23:40:12 +0000, Savageduck said:

[...]

I suspect part of the problem might lie with box.com rather than with
what the camera is doing.
Here are two shots via CC.
http://adobe.ly/1Ow7NBe

Savageduck

Old April 27th 15, 07:31 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2015-04-27 18:09:08 +0000, Tony Cooper said:

On Mon, 27 Apr 2015 10:09:05 -0700, Savageduck

In article ,
Savageduck:
On 2015-04-25 23:40:12 +0000, Savageduck said:

[...]

None of the shots on the box.com batch appeared washed-out or
desaturated to me.

OK! It is always good to get another opinion.

When I first opened the full-screen adobe.ly shot of the motorcycle,
there was the appearance of some sort of hazy filter over the entire
shot. That could be described as washed-out. This is what I got:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/gnzdsh7shz...duck1.JPG?dl=0 (screen shot)

Now that is bizarre, as I don't get that effect.
Here is the same image alone.
http://adobe.ly/1DQb977
BTW: did you have the same issue with the other shot in the folder?

Closing and re-opening results in the photo as you intended it.

So, you do get a clear image after reopening?

There is definitely some problem afoot at your end or with the hosts.

I just post them, directly to the host folder, exported from LR.
I have a feeling the issue was local for you.

Savageduck

Old April 27th 15, 07:32 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
John McWilliams

wrote:

It's not that I dislike it, I like desaturated images, but it seems consistent
and I would rather have it be a choice on my part when and if it should be
desaturated.

I suspect part of the problem might lie with box.com rather than with
what the camera is doing.
Here are two shots via CC.
http://adobe.ly/1Ow7NBe

None of the shots on the box.com batch appeared washed-out or
desaturated to me.

On an image from .box, I turned the brightness on my retina Mac to
achieve the effect I like. Saturation levels could go up just a touch,
but were not out of range to my taste.

Sandperson: What effect do you get by just adjusting your monitor?
Better? Perfect? The same?