X-E2 has Arrived

Old April 24th 15, 01:25 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

Default X-E2 has Arrived

My X-E2 arrived today and I have unboxed it, and I am trying to get a
handle on the menus and various settings & options. So far things are
not too tough to comprehend and I think I will be able to run it
through a reasonable test run this weekend.

First impressions. It is solidly built and all moving parts, dials, etc
seem to be precise and engineered with thought.
The EVF is VERY good and I have not detected any lag (so far).

I believe I have got the weight savings I was hoping for. This thing is
TINY! I took some iPhone comparison shots of th X-E2 side-by-side with
the D300S.
Since my Dropbox public links are temporarily suspended due to
excessive traffic(the 24 hour suspension should expire about 03:45
tomorrow), I have had to resort to my third option for cloud file
sharing, box.com. I have no idea of just how they present/display
images at the recieving end, so some feed back would be nice. I am not
sure if they link individual images or the entire folder they are
contained in, so just one URL to test.
https://app.box.com/s/1xs9fzayydv4whsl15cpb9zsr15p7r3r

Savageduck

Old April 24th 15, 02:01 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Bill W

On Thu, 23 Apr 2015 17:25:55 -0700, Savageduck
wrote:

[...]

The display is just fine, and I see only one photo.
Old April 24th 15, 02:31 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

wrote:

[...]

Good! So it is just one image per URL or an entire folder, that is good
to know. Thanks for the feedback. I might start using Box a bit more
since I got 50GB of free storage in a promotional deal. It just seemed
to be a bit more of a kludge than Dropbox, and I had no idea of what
showed up on the other end of the pipe.

I guess Dropbox wasn't going to tolerate the bandwidth use/traffic I
stirred up yesterday.

So here is a Box folder with the 4 side-by-side shots I took with my iPhone.
https://app.box.com/s/qges8f5hwn0wk6q6che88ziovyxbknoy

....and here is one test shot taken with the 35mm f/1.4
https://app.box.com/s/4banxr8tqvz85rr6s1x4j8x3t3bvz2v6

So far I am happy with the X-E2. Now I have to get out and about with it.

Savageduck

Old April 24th 15, 03:02 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Bill W

wrote:

[...]

Whenever I want to see what others see, I go to the URL with another
browser that I've never signed in with, and that wouldn't keep me
signed in. In my case, I use Chrome for everything, so I look from the
outside by using IE.

I guess Dropbox wasn't going to tolerate the bandwidth use/traffic I
stirred up yesterday.

So here is a Box folder with the 4 side-by-side shots I took with my iPhone.
https://app.box.com/s/qges8f5hwn0wk6q6che88ziovyxbknoy

It shows a list with thumbnails, and if you click on one, it opens
that one, but there are arrows to move to the next photo.

...and here is one test shot taken with the 35mm f/1.4
https://app.box.com/s/4banxr8tqvz85rr6s1x4j8x3t3bvz2v6

Obviously wide open for this shot.

So far I am happy with the X-E2. Now I have to get out and about with it.

Well, with a 16 MP APS-C sensor, fast lenses, and high available ISO,
you should be able to get good low-light photos. And if those are
good, everything should be good.

I see it also has phase detection AF (along with contrast detection),
which surprised me. I thought mirrorless tended to be contrast only,
and I'd be concerned about the AF speed.

Are there a lot of 3d party X-mount lenses out there? And I hope you
bought extra batteries. Looking over the specs, that's the only thing
that stood out in a negative way. Most of us are just getting started
at 350 shots. Well that and the operating temperature range. But the
burst rate of 7 fps for 8 frames looks good, and it's got built in
wifi. And all for about a grand. I'm starting to feel envy. Please get
back to us and tell us it's a piece of ****. I can't afford more toys.
Old April 24th 15, 03:25 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

wrote:

[...]

The link works fine.

See https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...vs%20D300s.jpg
For more details, including the ability to rotate images etc, go to
the original http://camerasize.com/compare/#493,188 from which the
above is a screen shot.

Eric Stevens
Old April 24th 15, 04:10 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

wrote:

[...]

Good! That is exactly what I expected.

...and here is one test shot taken with the 35mm f/1.4
https://app.box.com/s/4banxr8tqvz85rr6s1x4j8x3t3bvz2v6

Obviously wide open for this shot.

Almost, but pretty close to wide open at f/1.8

So far I am happy with the X-E2. Now I have to get out and about with it.

Well, with a 16 MP APS-C sensor, fast lenses, and high available ISO,
you should be able to get good low-light photos. And if those are
good, everything should be good.

That is what I am anticipating.

I see it also has phase detection AF (along with contrast detection),
which surprised me. I thought mirrorless tended to be contrast only,
and I'd be concerned about the AF speed.

That is one of the features of the X-E2 and X-T1.

Are there a lot of 3d party X-mount lenses out there?

For now FujiFilm and Zeiss have X-mount AF lenses, and there are the
Korean Samyang & Rokinon.

And I hope you bought extra batteries.

I got a cheapy in the bundle I bought from B&H, I don't expect too much
from that, and I also got an extra FujiFilm battery giving me three to
work with for now.

Looking over the specs, that's the only thing
that stood out in a negative way. Most of us are just getting started
at 350 shots.

That depends on the type of shoot and location.

Well that and the operating temperature range. But the
burst rate of 7 fps for 8 frames looks good,

That is for JPEG only. If you are shooting RAW, or RAW+JPEG you are
down to 3 fps.

and it's got built in wifi.

I installed the Fujufilm Camera Remote app on my iPhone & iPad, that
gives you a full remote control showing the view through the lens (a
sort of remote display), exposure control, and more. This will b great
for macros.
Then since you are carrying your iPhone with you on your shoot it acts
as a GPS logger. Use the WiFi Geotagging option and it add the location
data to th image files. A bit of a kludge, not as simple as the
dedicated GP-1 on my D300S, but it works. For the few test shots I made
anyway.

And all for about a grand. I'm starting to feel envy. Please get
back to us and tell us it's a piece of ****. I can't afford more toys.

I am heading to town on Saturday, we will have some bikes and sidecars
in the City park to shoot. They better be photogenic.

Savageduck

Old April 24th 15, 04:32 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

wrote:

[...]

Nice!
Just add the MB-D10 battery-grip to the bottom of the D300S. ;-)

BTW: I also picked up the nice leather half-case.
https://app.box.com/s/1y371wr3defs2kc4mw9qyilbop40mv7l

Savageduck

Old April 24th 15, 10:16 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
David Taylor

On 24/04/2015 01:25, Savageduck wrote:
My X-E2 arrived today and I have unboxed it, and I am trying to get a
handle on the menus and various settings & options. So far things are
not too tough to comprehend and I think I will be able to run it through
a reasonable test run this weekend.

First impressions. It is solidly built and all moving parts, dials, etc
seem to be precise and engineered with thought.
The EVF is VERY good and I have not detected any lag (so far).

I believe I have got the weight savings I was hoping for. This thing is
TINY! I took some iPhone comparison shots of th X-E2 side-by-side with
the D300S.

[]
https://app.box.com/s/1xs9fzayydv4whsl15cpb9zsr15p7r3r

Wonderful size comparison! Waiting to hear how you get on with it -
after a few months with the Panasonic GX7 going back to the APS-C DSLR
is something I rarely need to do, and it feels massive by comparison!
Here's hoping you have fun with the new toy and that it meets your
quality requirements.

--
Cheers,
David
Old April 24th 15, 02:53 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2015-04-24 12:01:59 +0000, Whisky-dave said:

On Friday, 24 April 2015 04:10:52 UTC+1, Savageduck wrote:

...and here is one test shot taken with the 35mm f/1.4
https://app.box.com/s/4banxr8tqvz85rr6s1x4j8x3t3bvz2v6

Obviously wide open for this shot.

Almost, but pretty close to wide open at f/1.8

Nice pussy.
When you photograph bikes (I've not done that only cars)
if yuo open up wide would their be enough DoF to just keep teh bike in
focus but they grass behind and legs of people just out of focus?
I thinking of the bike pictures you've taken and how a f0.7 open up
lens might be a good choice

When I am shooting bikes, cars, aircraft, etc., I m thinking more
documentary than work of art so I find that I am shooting at somewhere
between f/6.3 and f/8.0.

And I hope you bought extra batteries.
Looking over the specs, that's the only thing
that stood out in a negative way. Most of us are just getting started
at 350 shots.

That depends on the type of shoot and location.

I dont; suppose you know what lengh movie you can take regarding battery life.
350 shots means little for movies.
My G10 has never ran out on me even when doing videos of an hour.
SO for me 20-30mins would be a minium requirement.

I never gave it a thought. I am not that big into video.

I installed the Fujufilm Camera Remote app on my iPhone & iPad,

Now that is a great idea far more reasonable than paying for a remote
release which they charge a fortune for (well canon anyway)

Savageduck