More Lightroom CC/6

Old April 23rd 15, 03:28 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

Default More Lightroom CC/6

I thought I would give the new Photo Merge to HDR a truly tough
deghosting test.

With this 5 exposure bracket of a 1922 Duesenberg, it was my intention
to reveal some of the interior. When I tried other methods such as NIK
HDR Efex Pro, I could never get decent results due to all the movement
seen through the windshield.

The merge preview shows the areas causing the problem.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1295663/FileChute/screenshot_124.jpg
Here is the result, all done in Lightroom CC.
https://db.tt/4yecTwyZ

....and just to show that I am not stuck on HDR, here is a non-HDR 1934
Hispano Suiza, also all LR CC work:
https://db.tt/sTWn3vlb

Savageduck

Old April 27th 15, 03:20 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
John McWilliams

On 4/22/15 PDT 7:28 PM, Savageduck wrote:
I thought I would give the new Photo Merge to HDR a truly tough
deghosting test.

With this 5 exposure bracket of a 1922 Duesenberg, it was my intention
to reveal some of the interior. When I tried other methods such as NIK
HDR Efex Pro, I could never get decent results due to all the movement
seen through the windshield.

The merge preview shows the areas causing the problem.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1295663/FileChute/screenshot_124.jpg
Here is the result, all done in Lightroom CC.
https://db.tt/4yecTwyZ

It looks rather painterly! Nice, but it screams to me that it's not a
photo. I guess I just need more shadows.

Old April 27th 15, 03:56 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2015-04-27 02:20:20 +0000, John McWilliams said:

On 4/22/15 PDT 7:28 PM, Savageduck wrote:
I thought I would give the new Photo Merge to HDR a truly tough
deghosting test.

With this 5 exposure bracket of a 1922 Duesenberg, it was my intention
to reveal some of the interior. When I tried other methods such as NIK
HDR Efex Pro, I could never get decent results due to all the movement
seen through the windshield.

The merge preview shows the areas causing the problem.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1295663/FileChute/screenshot_124.jpg
Here is the result, all done in Lightroom CC.
https://db.tt/4yecTwyZ

It looks rather painterly! Nice, but it screams to me that it's not a
photo. I guess I just need more shadows.

Agreed! However, that was an exteme example.

Try these for size:
https://app.box.com/s/3wnja04noj5s5h7oqzf6698gz4tnd92j
https://app.box.com/s/2ee0wflva56njn3ygxc0dcjnw72i2g72

Savageduck

Old April 27th 15, 04:05 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2015-04-27 02:56:32 +0000, Savageduck said:

On 2015-04-27 02:20:20 +0000, John McWilliams said:
[...]

....and:
https://app.box.com/s/1upflb2jw4xm3lleteo9u1eur7hmw4t7

Savageduck

Old April 27th 15, 05:28 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
John McWilliams

On 2015-04-27 02:56:32 +0000, Savageduck said:

On 2015-04-27 02:20:20 +0000, John McWilliams said:
[...]

Oh, yeah! Sweet!

I read upstream that you often shoot stopped down a bit (maybe more than
a bit) for your automobile shots. It made me realize that I usually
shoot wide open unless I am doing a landscape or for specific reasons I
may (or may not!) think of at the time.

Old April 27th 15, 06:01 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2015-04-27 02:56:32 +0000, Savageduck said:

On 2015-04-27 02:20:20 +0000, John McWilliams said:
[...]

With the automobile, or aircraft shots, I am usually at f/5-f/8 unless
I am deliberately looking for a particular shallow DoF I want to
document as much detail of the subject as possible. Those shots are
more documentary than artistic, they are cetainly not studio portraits.
If I shoot a close up of a hood ornament or some other detail I want to
isolate or emphasize, then I will open up wide.
Shallow DoF can be great in the correct situation, but just because you
have a fast f/1.4, or f/2.8 lens doesn't mean it is a good idea to
shoot wide open all the time.

BTW: A further exploration of past exposure bracket sets, took me back
to 2009 and the Salinas Air Show. Here is a comparison of a 0EV vs a
+2EV/-2EV HDR processed with the LR CC merge to HDR.
https://db.tt/14xvlN5l

Savageduck

Old April 27th 15, 10:57 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_6_]

On 4/27/2015 1:01 PM, Savageduck wrote:

snip

BTW: A further exploration of past exposure bracket sets, took me back
to 2009 and the Salinas Air Show. Here is a comparison of a 0EV vs a
+2EV/-2EV HDR processed with the LR CC merge to HDR.
https://db.tt/14xvlN5l

I have not yet used LR 6. So I don't konw how easy it is to control the
output differential? i.e. In image 2 if I wanted the interior of the
engine to be a bit darker, can the be done as part of the HDR process,
or must I use an exposure adjustment mask.

--
PeterN
Old April 27th 15, 11:10 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2015-04-27 21:57:48 +0000, PeterN said:

On 4/27/2015 1:01 PM, Savageduck wrote:

snip

BTW: A further exploration of past exposure bracket sets, took me back
to 2009 and the Salinas Air Show. Here is a comparison of a 0EV vs a
+2EV/-2EV HDR processed with the LR CC merge to HDR.
https://db.tt/14xvlN5l

I have not yet used LR 6. So I don't konw how easy it is to control the
output differential? i.e. In image 2 if I wanted the interior of the
engine to be a bit darker, can the be done as part of the HDR process,
or must I use an exposure adjustment mask.

That is going to be an adjustment after the merge process. The
interesting thing is, the result of the HDR merge (when using RAW
files) is a 32-bit DNG. That means the *Basic* mode exposure adjustment
slider which once moved from -5.0 to +5.0, with the 32-bit DNC the
adjustment margin is now -10.0 to +10.0. So the correct tool to use for
that sort of adjustment would be the selective adjustment brush (with
auto-mask on).

Savageduck

Old April 27th 15, 11:43 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_6_]

On 4/27/2015 6:10 PM, Savageduck wrote:
On 2015-04-27 21:57:48 +0000, PeterN said:

[...]

thanks,

Based upon my reading, that's what I expected.
Do you always convert to DNG, or is that something new since you got
your new toy?

--
PeterN
Old April 27th 15, 11:46 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Bill W

On Mon, 27 Apr 2015 17:57:48 -0400, PeterN
wrote:

On 4/27/2015 1:01 PM, Savageduck wrote:

snip

BTW: A further exploration of past exposure bracket sets, took me back
to 2009 and the Salinas Air Show. Here is a comparison of a 0EV vs a
+2EV/-2EV HDR processed with the LR CC merge to HDR.
https://db.tt/14xvlN5l

I have not yet used LR 6. So I don't konw how easy it is to control the
output differential? i.e. In image 2 if I wanted the interior of the
engine to be a bit darker, can the be done as part of the HDR process,
or must I use an exposure adjustment mask.

I haven't done any bracketed camera shots yet, but there is a very
quick way to do single exposure HDR in LR6. I just created virtual
copies of the photo I wanted to adjust. You can quickly create as many
as you want using Ctrl '. Then you make exposure adjustments to the
virtual copies, and merge them with the original, or just themselves.
Those virtual copies don't clog the hard drive, so it's a very
painless way to do this, and the results were pretty good for me.