Don't ask for whom the bell tolls, it tolls for the DSLR

Old April 20th 15, 07:07 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Sandman

Default Don't ask for whom the bell tolls, it tolls for the DSLR

In article , Savageduck wrote:

RichA:
New sensors with high read-out speeds (over 15fps for DX) will
mean the end of the DSLR as the premier sports and action
cameras. Mirror-less professional cameras are in the offing.
Contrary to those who think video cameras will take over, they
won't; you can't really capture fast action in single images
at 30-120fps.

Bill W:
Well, I mean why not, and who would care? I don't think DSLR
owners have any particular fondness for mirrors flopping around in
their cameras. Once the mirrorless tech catches up to SLR
functionality, why would anyone cry over that? As long as we can
use our current lenses, and can get the same image quality under
all conditions, why not? There are certainly benefits to
mirrorless.

I'll be able to tell you next weekend. My new Fuji mirrorless should
be here from B&H by the middle of the week. I will start with the
two major benefits lower weight & lower bulk.
http://www.fujifilm.com/products/digital_cameras/x/fujifilm_x_e2

I am going to have some photographic exploring to do.

Indeed! You must let us know what you think, and how it compares to your DSLR

--
Sandman
Old April 20th 15, 07:17 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Sandman

In article , Bill W wrote:

RichA:
New sensors with high read-out speeds (over 15fps for DX) will
mean the end of the DSLR as the premier sports and action cameras.
Mirror-less professional cameras are in the offing. Contrary to
those who think video cameras will take over, they won't; you
can't really capture fast action in single images at 30-120fps.

Well, I mean why not, and who would care? I don't think DSLR owners
have any particular fondness for mirrors flopping around in their
cameras. Once the mirrorless tech catches up to SLR functionality,
why would anyone cry over that? As long as we can use our current
lenses, and can get the same image quality under all conditions, why
not? There are certainly benefits to mirrorless.

The benefit of mirrorless today is two things, really. Smaller cameras and sensor
representation in the viewfinder.

I have the Sony A7, which is considerably smaller than the smallest Nikon full
frame camera.

And seeing the end result in the viewfinder when you're taking the photo is
really handy at times.

Having said that, there are a few really huge drawbacks:

- Viewfinder lag. The sensor can have whatever read-out speed it like, but the
lag is very noticeable, and there is no way it can be used for sports
photography.

- Startup time. Every DSLR I've ever own is ready to use as soon as I turn it on.
There is no delay at all. Every mirrorless I've ever own has (in comparison) a
HUGE startup time, where I turn it on and have to wait, sometimes two or three
seconds before I can take a shot. If it's been off for a longer while, it will
take even longer to start for unknown reasons.

- Battery time. There is no comparison. My Sony A7's battery dies needs a
recharge all the time, while the Nikon batteries just keep taking great shots

- Lens selection. Few mirrorless cameras have an array of native legendary lenses
like the Nikon 14-24/f.28 or the Canon 50/f1.2. Adapters are great, and it's
really neat how you can adapt most of any lens to a mirrorless camera with a
short flange distance, but it just shows how poor the lens selection is to begin
with

--
Sandman
Old April 20th 15, 09:51 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

On Mon, 20 Apr 2015 15:03:59 +1200, Me wrote:

On 20/04/2015 2:51 p.m., Eric Stevens wrote:
On Sun, 19 Apr 2015 13:23:48 -0700, Savageduck
wrote:

--- snip ---

The Black Rapid Strap was for me, probably the one thing which took the
pain out of carrying the Nikon by the standard strap around my neck,
and made those days tolerable. I highly recommed it to all DSLR
shooters.

I have the problem that my camera permanently has a Manfrotto shoe
mounted on the bottom so that I can clip it onto a tripod. I never
worked out how connect a Black Rapid at the same time.

http://www.blackrapid.com/products/fastenr-t1

But I already have
https://www.astronomics.com/images/P...arge/19688.jpg screwed
into the camera.

Eric Stevens
Old April 20th 15, 09:54 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

On Sun, 19 Apr 2015 20:32:15 -0700, Bill W
wrote:

wrote:

--- snip ---

The Black Rapid Strap was for me, probably the one thing which took the
pain out of carrying the Nikon by the standard strap around my neck,
and made those days tolerable. I highly recommed it to all DSLR
shooters.

I have the problem that my camera permanently has a Manfrotto shoe
mounted on the bottom so that I can clip it onto a tripod. I never
worked out how connect a Black Rapid at the same time.

http://joby.com/camera-straps/ultrap...-release-plate

Here's mine:

http://i.imgur.com/QOS1NC5.jpg

That's a point. Many thanks.

Eric Stevens
Old April 20th 15, 10:06 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

wrote:

--- snip ---

The Black Rapid Strap was for me, probably the one thing which took the
pain out of carrying the Nikon by the standard strap around my neck,
and made those days tolerable. I highly recommed it to all DSLR
shooters.

I have the problem that my camera permanently has a Manfrotto shoe
mounted on the bottom so that I can clip it onto a tripod. I never
worked out how connect a Black Rapid at the same time.

http://www.blackrapid.com/products/fastenr-t1

But I already have
https://www.astronomics.com/images/P...arge/19688.jpg screwed
into the camera.

You need to replace the Manfrotto screw with the Black Rapid
replacement (FR-T1). Use the new one to attach the plate to the camera.
That will allow the metal loop to be folded flat when you unhook the
strap and attach the camera to the Manfrotto quick mount.

Watch the videos in the above, now repeated by me, URL.
http://www.blackrapid.com/products/fastenr-t1

Savageduck

Old April 20th 15, 01:47 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_6_]

On 2015-04-19 23:35:11 +0000, PeterN said:

On 4/19/2015 5:30 PM, Me wrote:
On 20/04/2015 8:23 a.m., Savageduck wrote:

The Black Rapid Strap was for me, probably the one thing which took the
pain out of carrying the Nikon by the standard strap around my neck,
and
made those days tolerable. I highly recommed it to all DSLR shooters.

I second that. As well as for ease of carrying, with the position of
the camera on the strap, it's a far more natural movement to bring the
camera up to your eye.
I bought a Black Rapid strap, then was given a "Quick Strap". It looks
superficially very much like the Black Rapid strap even with a moulded
plastic "K" logo with similar colour etc in the same place as the "R"
logo. I believe that they're about 1/2 the price. The webbing is much
thinner (though probably plenty strong enough), and too easy to twist in
the clamps when you adjust them. The clamps also don't seem to lock
down as positively. The tail end of the Black Rapid strap has been
folded and stitched, so the end probably (hopefully) wouldn't pull
through the buckle, but the "Quick Strap" webbing end has only been cut
and melted to prevent fraying. While it might be unlikely to happen, if
it did then it might be an expensive problem.
An added advantage of these straps is that you can easily get rid of
them when using a tripod - conventional neck-straps have given me more
than a few heart-stopping moments when using a tripod.

I agree that Black Rapid is a good strap. I bought a new model. Turned
out that it had a pocket that was held closed with a magnet. The
magnet was positioned so that it interferred with my pacemaker. I
complained to Black Rapid about this issue. They basically told me
tough ****, and they would do nothing. i traded my new model with a
friend for one that did not have a magnet. Their callous indifference
to my potential danger is disgusting. For that reason I will never
purchase or recommend a Black Rapid product.

Strange. My BRS has a zippered pocket on the shoulder pad. I didn't know
about any pockets with magnetic closures, or fasteners.

Obviously they changed it.
My point is i will not do businesss with a company that doesn't give a
**** for its customers.

--
PeterN
Old April 20th 15, 02:16 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Sandman

In article , Eric Stevens wrote:

Eric Stevens:
--- snip ---

Savageduck:
The Black Rapid Strap was for me, probably the one thing which
took the pain out of carrying the Nikon by the standard strap
around my neck, and made those days tolerable. I highly
recommed it to all DSLR shooters.

Eric Stevens:
I have the problem that my camera permanently has a Manfrotto
shoe mounted on the bottom so that I can clip it onto a tripod.
I never worked out how connect a Black Rapid at the same time.

Me:
http://www.blackrapid.com/products/fastenr-t1

But I already have
https://www.astronomics.com/images/P...arge/19688.jpg screwed
into the camera.

The FRT-1 is meant to fit into that very plate. Watch the video:

http://www.blackrapid.com/culture/videos/?id=85#85

Three simple steps, done.

--
Sandman
Old April 20th 15, 03:09 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PAS

"Me" wrote in message
On 20/04/2015 8:23 a.m., Savageduck wrote:

The Black Rapid Strap was for me, probably the one thing which took
the
pain out of carrying the Nikon by the standard strap around my neck,
and
made those days tolerable. I highly recommed it to all DSLR shooters.

I second that. As well as for ease of carrying, with the position of
the camera on the strap, it's a far more natural movement to bring the
camera up to your eye.

I used a BR strap but found the hardware on the bottom of the camera too
clunky to deal with when I would orient the camera in portrait mode.
The bulk of the hardware under my right hand made it uncomfortable for
me. I switched to the Op/Tech Sling Strap which attaches to a camera
lug rather than the tripod socket.

Old April 20th 15, 04:52 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2015-04-20 15:27:38 +0000, Tony Cooper said:

On Mon, 20 Apr 2015 10:09:24 -0400, "PAS"
wrote:
"Me" wrote in message
On 20/04/2015 8:23 a.m., Savageduck wrote:

The Black Rapid Strap was for me, probably the one thing which took
the
pain out of carrying the Nikon by the standard strap around my neck,
and
made those days tolerable. I highly recommed it to all DSLR shooters.

I second that. As well as for ease of carrying, with the position of
the camera on the strap, it's a far more natural movement to bring the
camera up to your eye.

I used a BR strap but found the hardware on the bottom of the camera too
clunky to deal with when I would orient the camera in portrait mode.
The bulk of the hardware under my right hand made it uncomfortable for
me. I switched to the Op/Tech Sling Strap which attaches to a camera
lug rather than the tripod socket.

I am trying, unsuccessfully, to construct a mental picture of how you
hold the camera in portrait mode.

It has never been an issue for me.

With my Black Rapid strap, I keep the camera on my right side and
bring it up with my right hand on the shutter end of the camera and my
left hand on the lens. The tripod socket and the strap connector are
to my left and completely out of the way. Out in space, so to speak.

Mine is also on my right, and brought into action with my right hand.
It is simple enough to rotate counter clockwise into portrait
orientation. That brings my right hand to the top. Since I also have
the MB-D10 battery grip attached, I have the option of using the
battery grip, shutter release which would bring my hand back down to
the right. I find that just making the quick rotation works best for
me. If I use the grip the BR fastener & hook sit uncomfortably right in
my palm.

I am left-handed, but I don't think that factors in here at all. I've
become so used to the right-hand configuration of a camera body
(shutter release on the right) that it is completely natural to me.

Being right handed, I don't know what it is like to be a lefty in a
right handed world.

The only time left-handedness factors in is when I'm using a tripod. I
keep the tightening knobs on the left. Maybe right-handers do the
same, though.

While Black Rapid straps can be used with adapters or some
quick-disconnect tripod plates so the plate and strap can always be on
the camera, I remove the Black Rapid strap and put on the plate when I
use my tripod. I don't use a tripod that much, and - when I do - I
don't want the strap hanging down.

Using a tripod is a deliberate and infrequent thing for me, so I pretty
much follow what you do when I need to use one. Remove the BR fastener,
attach the QR plate.

Savageduck

Old April 20th 15, 04:53 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PAS

wrote:

"Me" wrote in message
[...]

It would have helped if I didn't leave out one important factor - I use
a battery grip. As I flip the camera into portrait mode, my right hand
is holding the botom of the grip and I use the controls on the grip to
release the shutter, change aperture/shutter speed, etc. I just found
it too uncomfortable holding the camera that way with the screw that
attached the BR strap to the tripod socket underneath my hand.

With my Black Rapid strap, I keep the camera on my right side and
bring it up with my right hand on the shutter end of the camera and my
left hand on the lens. The tripod socket and the strap connector are
to my left and completely out of the way. Out in space, so to speak.

I am left-handed, but I don't think that factors in here at all. I've
become so used to the right-hand configuration of a camera body
(shutter release on the right) that it is completely natural to me.

The only time left-handedness factors in is when I'm using a tripod. I
keep the tightening knobs on the left. Maybe right-handers do the
same, though.

Same here. I'm also left-handed but use the camera as any right-handed
person would do. It also feels completely natural to me. It's the same
for me with the tripod as it is with you.

While Black Rapid straps can be used with adapters or some
quick-disconnect tripod plates so the plate and strap can always be on
the camera, I remove the Black Rapid strap and put on the plate when I
use my tripod. I don't use a tripod that much, and - when I do - I
don't want the strap hanging down.

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando FL