Why when I save a photo from photobucket, it's not a JPEG?

Old April 13th 15, 08:23 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.os.linux.ubuntu
Paul[_4_]

Default Why when I save a photo from photobucket, it's not a JPEG?

On 2015-04-13 04:49:39 +0000, Paul said:

Tony Cooper wrote:
On Sun, 12 Apr 2015 22:46:17 +0000 (UTC), Don Phillipson
wrote:

When I save a photo from photobucket, its "corrupted" half the time.
The other half the time it works.
Why?

Is it just images hosted by Photobucket? Having read through the
thread-to-date, it seems that the images can be successfully saved by
at least a Mac user (SavageDuck) and a Windows user (me), so it would
seem the problem is something involving either linux or Photobucket or
the combination.
You can eliminate two of those from consideration by telling us if
images hosted by other hosts (ie: Dropbox) do or do not cause the
same problem.

Without analysing the web page using "Save As" "Web Page Complete",
my guess is there is a bucketload of evil code on that page.

I have my best luck, by grabbing/manipulating the image before
the page is fully loaded.

Some image hosting sites sport a download button, making it
easy for the user to get the file, and easy to see that
the site intent is that the file be downloadable. Other
sites just seem to lack a download button, and it's up
to your wits (and Ninja-like reflexes), to get
what you want from the page.

Paul

If you look closely you will see that the Photobucket page has two
download buttons. So you can put the black pajamas away for a while.

This is the page at around the three second mark.

http://i57.tinypic.com/142uag2.jpg

This is the page at the ten second mark. Page has
gone blank. A site called "e.nexac.com" is pretending
to download something important, and the page will
more or less stay blank like that forever.

http://i61.tinypic.com/f591dy.jpg

So as long as I put on the black pajamas, right-click
and "View Image" before ten seconds hits, I get
to see the image. I have basically a 7 second window,
to catch it. If I need to try again, clearing the
browser cache, will afford me the same window of opportunity.

That's my browser which has no plugins, and is a bit
"locked down". I have another browser which is better
equipped and won't do that - but if I use it, the
sites will abuse it (show me Adobe Flash advertising,
try some other popup techniques and so on).

Life is full of tradeoffs.

In the first picture, I assume one of those unlabeled
buttons is a download, but it's not visible there.
I tried scrolling down too.

Paul
Old April 13th 15, 08:56 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.os.linux.ubuntu
Floyd L. Davidson

Don Phillipson wrote:
0. First I went to this thread:
http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/sh...-at-112k-miles

1. Then, I tried to save the first picture by right clicking in Firefox
and selecting "View Image", which brings me to this photobucket url:
http://s1099.photobucket.com/user/Sm..._8321.jpg.html

Note the last four characters on that URL: "html"

It's the page at PhotoBucket that displays a slide show.

If you download that page, you get the "corrupted"
image, because it downloads the html file that is
displaying images, not the images.

When you right click on the image and then select the
"view image" option from the menu it shouldn't have
taken you to the above URL, but to this one:

http://i1099.photobucket.com/albums/...j/IMG_8321.jpg

Saving this URL will produce the image every time. Saving
the above URL never will.

This has nothing to do with anything past the selection
of what to download. The download is working perfectly,
and all of your software is doing what it should, given
the file you are downloading.

I can't see what would cause the html file to be selected
at that point, so I can't even guess at what is happening.
Look for any odd differences up to that point (and ignore
all after).

--
Floyd L. Davidson http://www.apaflo.com/
Ukpeagvik (Barrow, Alaska)
Old April 13th 15, 09:18 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.os.linux.ubuntu
Sandman

In article , Don Phillipson wrote:

Paul wrote in message

Paul:
Provide a link to the one you're having trouble with.

It happens frequently, but it just happened today.

0. First I went to this thread:
http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/sh...timing-guides-

replacement-results-at-112k-miles

1. Then, I tried to save the first picture by right clicking in
Firefox and selecting "View Image", which brings me to this
photobucket url:
http://s1099.photobucket.com/user/Sm..._8321.jpg.html

2. I get a warning that I ignore about "Adobe Flash" because I have
a blocker: "Allow s1099.photobucket.com to run Adobe Flash?"

3. I right click on the picture in Firefox to select "Save image
as": /tmp/IMG_8321.jpg

4. I try to open the file by doubleclicking on it but I get the
error: Could not load image IMG_8321.jpg Error interpreting JPEG
image file (Not a JPEG file: starts with 0x3c 0x21)

5. I run a checksum on that image: $ md5sum IMG_8321.jpg
3bd1bbb33880e6f611aa7b6bb55290e5 IMG_8321.jpg

6. I run a "file" command on that image: $ file IMG_8321.jpg
IMG_8321.jpg: HTML document, UTF-8 Unicode text, with very long
lines, with CRLF, LF line terminator.

That's why, then. When right-clicking and downloading the file, it downloads a
HTML file, with the extension jpg. Rename it to .html and you can open it
normally and see the code.

To download the image, use the download button over the image. Done.

--
Sandman
Old April 13th 15, 09:22 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.os.linux.ubuntu
Sandman

In article , Andreas Skitsnack wrote:

4. I try to open the file by doubleclicking on it but I get the
error: Could not load image IMG_8321.jpg Error interpreting JPEG
image file (Not a JPEG file: starts with 0x3c 0x21)

Followed you to here, and the images saved as instructed with no
problem. It saves a .jpg 1023 x 682.

I then opened it in Photoshop (I don't have Gimp). No problem.

I don't have an Adobe Flash blocker in place.

The problem is your end. It's not a corrupted image.

It's a web browser thing. When you right click and choose download, your web
browser downloads this URL:
http://i1099.photobucket.com/albums/g385/Sm00th_j/IMG_8321.jpg

But, when you access that URL in the browser, it redirects you to this URL:

http://s1099.photobucket.com/user/Sm00th_j/media/IMG_8321.jpg.html

Which is the URL we started with. So, it's all a matter of whether or not your
web browser follows redirects when downloading a URL from the page. The OP's web
browser apparently does, while Safari doesn't.

--
Sandman
Old April 13th 15, 11:02 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.os.linux.ubuntu
Chris Ahlstrom

Don Phillipson wrote this copyrighted missive and expects royalties:

Paul wrote in message

Provide a link to the one you're having trouble with.

It happens frequently, but it just happened today.

6. I run a "file" command on that image:
$ file IMG_8321.jpg
IMG_8321.jpg: HTML document, UTF-8 Unicode text, with very long lines,
with CRLF, LF line terminator.

Yikes.

What am I doing wrong?
Note that *some* photobucket files work just fine.
Some do. Some don't.

Why?

Probably what you think is an image link is actually a link
to some "active" page where you can view the actual image.

--
BOFH excuse #212:

Old April 13th 15, 12:07 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.os.linux.ubuntu
Dirk T. Verbeek

Op 13-04-15 om 03:16 schreef Don Phillipson:
Paul wrote in message

Provide a link to the one you're having trouble with.

It happens frequently, but it just happened today.

0. First I went to this thread:
http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/sh...-at-112k-miles

Here Kubuntu and Firefox with the KDE extensions for mime handling.
Right click the image and select Save, no problem.
View pic and right click to save, again no problem.

I have Flashblock and Adblock+ installed.

So it seems to be a problem on your end.

Give it a try with the Chromium browser, that is Chrome without the spyware.

[...]

7. I try to upload that image to imgur.com for you:
Oh no! We encountered an error:
IMG_8321: Image format not supported, or image is corrupt.

8. I try to run Gimp on that image:
$ gimp IMG_8321.jpg
GIMP Message
Opening /tmp/IMG_8321.jpg failed:
JPEG image plug-In could not open image

9. Thinking that the Flash plugin is somehow involved, I accept the
"Allow" and the "Allow and Remember" Flash plugin questions back at
the photobucket web site:
http://s1099.photobucket.com/user/Sm..._8321.jpg.html

10. The same thing happens.
It "says" it's a JPEG image, and it saved as a JPEG image, but, it's
not a JPEG image (or it's a corrupted JPEG image).

Old April 13th 15, 12:11 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.os.linux.ubuntu
Dirk T. Verbeek

Op 13-04-15 om 03:23 schreef Don Phillipson:
They're all photobucket images, for example:
http://s1099.photobucket.com/user/Sm..._8332.jpg.html

If I right click on that image when the and arrows are there,
it saves to IMG_8332.jpg and when I right click when the arrows are
*not* there, it saves to the same file name (IMG_8332.jpg).

Ah yes, this is a matter of right clicking in the middle of the photo,
not on the arrows.

Works fine.
Old April 13th 15, 12:15 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.os.linux.ubuntu
Dirk T. Verbeek

wrote:

[...]

Install Adblock Plus.
Old April 17th 15, 01:55 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.os.linux.ubuntu
Don Phillipson[_2_]

Don Phillipson wrote in message

When I save a photo from photobucket, its "corrupted" half the time.
The other half the time it works.
Why?

It's still happening.
I just tried saving this picture by right clicking on it and saving the
image as 116-1645_IMG.jpg but it's corrupted every time.
http://s40.photobucket.com/user/Jack...5_IMG.jpg.html
Old April 17th 15, 02:16 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.os.linux.ubuntu
Lew Pitcher

On Friday April 17 2015 08:55, in alt.os.linux.ubuntu, "Don Phillipson"
wrote:

Don Phillipson wrote in message

When I save a photo from photobucket, its "corrupted" half the time.
The other half the time it works.
Why?

It's still happening.
I just tried saving this picture by right clicking on it and saving the
image as 116-1645_IMG.jpg but it's corrupted every time.
http://s40.photobucket.com/user/Jack...5_IMG.jpg.html

Do you mean that the picture shown on that page can't be "saved" through
your web browser? Because, it looks like photobucket puts a css/javascript
block over the photo, to prevent you from being able to right-click access
it directly from that page.

However, if you look for it, you can find a link to the photo itself, which
you can then save as a JPG:
http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e2...6-1645_IMG.jpg

HTH
--