Canon to address "blown highlights" in 2007?

Old March 22nd 06, 12:53 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems

Default Canon to address "blown highlights" in 2007?

According to Pop Photography, Canon is going to bring out something in
2007 to fix the
inability of sensors to deal with wide dynamic ranges. They (Pop
Photography) said they'd say what it is next month. I'm wondering if
they've figured out a way to regulate the sensitivity of individual
pixels in an array by varying something (signal amplification?).

Old March 22nd 06, 02:49 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems

RichA wrote:
According to Pop Photography, Canon is going to bring out something
in 2007 to fix the
inability of sensors to deal with wide dynamic ranges. They (Pop
Photography) said they'd say what it is next month. I'm wondering if
they've figured out a way to regulate the sensitivity of individual
pixels in an array by varying something (signal amplification?).

You mean like the Sony sensor in Fuji DSLRs?
--
www.photosbydouglas.com
www.weprint2canvas.com

Old March 22nd 06, 01:09 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems

"D-Mac" wrote in message
RichA wrote:
According to Pop Photography, Canon is going to bring out something
in 2007 to fix the
inability of sensors to deal with wide dynamic ranges. They (Pop
Photography) said they'd say what it is next month. I'm wondering if
they've figured out a way to regulate the sensitivity of individual
pixels in an array by varying something (signal amplification?).

You mean like the Sony sensor in Fuji DSLRs?

fuji dslrs use fuji sensors.

Old March 22nd 06, 10:16 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems

ian lincoln wrote:
"D-Mac" wrote in message
RichA wrote:
According to Pop Photography, Canon is going to bring out
something in 2007 to fix the
inability of sensors to deal with wide dynamic ranges. They (Pop
Photography) said they'd say what it is next month. I'm
wondering if they've figured out a way to regulate the
sensitivity of individual pixels in an array by varying something
(signal amplification?).

You mean like the Sony sensor in Fuji DSLRs?

fuji dslrs use fuji sensors.

Yes, like the one they get from Sony?

Old March 23rd 06, 12:36 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems

"D-Mac" wrote in message
ian lincoln wrote:
"D-Mac" wrote in message
RichA wrote:
According to Pop Photography, Canon is going to bring out
something in 2007 to fix the
inability of sensors to deal with wide dynamic ranges. They (Pop
Photography) said they'd say what it is next month. I'm
wondering if they've figured out a way to regulate the
sensitivity of individual pixels in an array by varying something
(signal amplification?).

You mean like the Sony sensor in Fuji DSLRs?

fuji dslrs use fuji sensors.

Yes, like the one they get from Sony?

only fuji produce the paired pixel sensor for extra dynamic range. It is
patented. I suppose they may pay sony to produce them to spec but i doubt
it. However KM and Nikon do use Sony sensors.

Old March 23rd 06, 02:36 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems

ian lincoln wrote:
"D-Mac" wrote in message

You mean like the Sony sensor in Fuji DSLRs?

fuji dslrs use fuji sensors.

Yes, like the one they get from Sony?

only fuji produce the paired pixel sensor for extra dynamic range.
It is patented. I suppose they may pay sony to produce them to spec
but i doubt it. However KM and Nikon do use Sony sensors.

I thought ony Wedding Photographers were pedantic.
I'll rephrase then: Like to one they get Sony to make?
Satisfied now?

Old March 23rd 06, 03:32 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems

ian lincoln wrote:

"D-Mac" wrote in message

ian lincoln wrote:

"D-Mac" wrote in message

RichA wrote:

According to Pop Photography, Canon is going to bring out
something in 2007 to fix the
inability of sensors to deal with wide dynamic ranges. They (Pop
Photography) said they'd say what it is next month. I'm
wondering if they've figured out a way to regulate the
sensitivity of individual pixels in an array by varying something
(signal amplification?).

You mean like the Sony sensor in Fuji DSLRs?

fuji dslrs use fuji sensors.

Yes, like the one they get from Sony?

only fuji produce the paired pixel sensor for extra dynamic range. It is
patented. I suppose they may pay sony to produce them to spec but i doubt
it. However KM and Nikon do use Sony sensors.

Canon DSLRs already have very large dynamic ranges, limited by
12-bit A-to_D converters. The 1D mark II, for example, has
measured dynamic range (max signal/read noise) 3000:1,
or 11.6 stops. See:
http://www.clarkvision.com/imagedetail/evaluation-1d2

This is already greater than film (even print film):
http://www.clarkvision.com/imagedetail/dynamicrange2

I've not seen any data on the Fuji sensors. Can they
actually do better than 11.6 stops?

Roger
Old March 23rd 06, 07:02 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems

On Wed, 22 Mar 2006 20:32:32 -0700, "Roger N. Clark (change username
to rnclark)" wrote:

ian lincoln wrote:

"D-Mac" wrote in message

ian lincoln wrote:

"D-Mac" wrote in message

RichA wrote:

[...]

They had an example of film versus digital DSLRs. The negative film
was exposed 3 stops over and was able to produce a good image, it
simply required more light through a dense negative.
The digital image was blown completely. Maybe it's time for
them to move to 16 bit A to Ds?
-Rich

Old March 23rd 06, 07:23 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems

In article , "Roger N. Clark (change username
to rnclark)" writes

Canon DSLRs already have very large dynamic ranges, limited by
12-bit A-to_D converters. The 1D mark II, for example, has
measured dynamic range (max signal/read noise) 3000:1,
or 11.6 stops. See:
http://www.clarkvision.com/imagedetail/evaluation-1d2

This is already greater than film (even print film):
http://www.clarkvision.com/imagedetail/dynamicrange2

But its a "hard" clip with the digital sensor and a "soft" clip on film.
Its a bit like the old comparison of transistor and valve audio
amplifiers - transistors gave better linearity and distortion than
valves when operating well within their range, but valves sounded better
because they clipped softly compared to the awful distortion produced by
hard clipping transistors when driven by the occasional transient beyond
their nominal range.

A non-linear top end response to a digital sensor would eliminate the
problem of blown highlights due to unexpected specular reflections. Say,
linear response to 90% of the existing capacity and logarithmic response
in the top 10%. It wouldn't take any additional photodiodes, as Fuji
use, just the response of the CMOS buffer circuit, and flexibility of
the pixel design is one of the key benefits of CMOS over CCDs.

In fact, can't this be done with just two additional diodes, one of
which is a zener, in a feedback loop around the amplifier in the pixel?
--
Kennedy