Nikon 5700: Monitor and viewfinder flicker

Old July 25th 06, 07:50 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Anthony

Default Nikon 5700: Monitor and viewfinder flicker

The problem started several days ago when I turned my Nikon 5700 on.
Monitor and viewfinder were flickering so much that I couldn't see the
image. I played around with the controls (power on-off, zoom in-out,
etc) until I thought the problem was suddenly fixed. Unfortunately it
was not fixed. There is random unpredictable flickering which shows on
the photos I take.

Your help will be appreciated, especially if you had a similar problem
with this camera.

thanks
Anthony

Old July 25th 06, 09:27 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Trey Selman

I have a 5700 but have not had this problem but with other problems sometime
the solution can be a reset.

Take the battery out for about a minute and then put it back in and see if
that does the trick.

It's worked on a few things like this that have happened to me.

Trey Selman

oups.com...

Old July 26th 06, 12:03 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Joan

How does it show on the photos you take?
Are they spoilt when you copy them to a PC?
Are they not being written correctly to the card?

--
Joan

oups.com...
:

Old July 26th 06, 04:36 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Anthony

Yes, they are spoiled when I preview them on the camera and when I copy
them to the PC. Horizontal discolored bars appear on the images!
Interestingly enough, the monitor and viewfinder do not flicker when I
use them to preview the photos on my card.

Joan wrote:
How does it show on the photos you take?
Are they spoilt when you copy them to a PC?
Are they not being written correctly to the card?

--
Joan

oups.com...

Old July 27th 06, 03:35 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Joan

I was just going to mention that.

--
Joan

"Ed Ruf" wrote in message
: On Wed, 26 Jul 2006 10:11:08 -0400, in rec.photo.digital Ed Ruf
: wrote:
:
: On 25 Jul 2006 11:50:34 -0700, in rec.photo.digital "Anthony"
: wrote:
:
: The problem started several days ago when I turned my Nikon 5700
on.
: Monitor and viewfinder were flickering so much that I couldn't see
the
: image. I played around with the controls (power on-off, zoom
in-out,
: etc) until I thought the problem was suddenly fixed. Unfortunately
it
: was not fixed. There is random unpredictable flickering which
shows on
: the photos I take.
:
: The flickering shows on photos taken when viewed where? Do you see
: artifacts when viewing them on a PC?
:
: Do you have the Shutter Release Speed option set to Quick Response
in
: the Set UP Menu, as detailed on p. 127 of the fine manual? This
will
: lower the quality of the live preview, but will not effect the
final
: image when viewed elsewhere.
:
: I just remembered Nikon has issued a service advisory which included
: the 5700.
:
http://support.nikontech.com/cgi-bin...i=&p_topview=1
: --
: Ed Ruf Lifetime AMA# 344007 )
: http://EdwardGRuf.com

Old July 27th 06, 09:40 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Anthony

Yes, I found out that this is a known issue with the 5700 and a couple
of other models. I sent the camera to Nikon for a free (I hope) repair.

Thanks for your replies,
Anthony

Old September 14th 06, 05:35 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Stu Gotz

I just had the same problem. I live near Nikon's USA headquarters so I
brought the camera there and they fixed it free of charge. It needed a
new CCD.