How to market 35mm quiet mirror invention

Old July 28th 03, 04:51 PM
Larry Miller

Default How to market 35mm quiet mirror invention

Hi, Folks--

A friend has invented and patented a mirror system which he believes will
radically improve 35mm SLR camera noise and vibration problems. He's not
very computer literate and has asked me for help marketing the thing over
the Internet-- the miopic leading the blind, as it were. :

I'm not a camera engineer but I think the SLR continues to have potential on
into the digital realm and would sure wish the things to be quieter, so I'd
like to see where he can go with this idea.

Would greatly appreciate comments on the idea and some pointers as to how to
go about this marketing stuff. Appropriate newsgroups, mailing lists, etc.
to post announcements, comments on the website we've put together
(http://www.quietcamera.com/), any other pointers or comments would be very
welcome.

Thanks-- Larry Miller
La Paz, BCS Mexico
Old July 29th 03, 03:17 PM
Larry Miller

"Aaron Queenan" wrote in
:

If the mirrors are split and slide as shown, there will be a point at
which they join. The split would be annoying for users of the camera
and appear as a dark line in the middle of the image in the viewfinder.

There would need to me some serious dampening to stop the two sides
crashing into each other (making noise) and leaving fragments of glass
inside the camera.

Since two pieces of glass have to move and hit the dampeners, I'd be
surprised if the noise level is much less that an SLR.

If a rubber strip was placed in the middle, it would block the user's
view of the centre of the image even more.

The split between the two pieces of glass would allow light in, which
would severely effect the exposure sensors in the camera.

I'm not the designer, will pass your comments on to him. :

It will eliminate the LCD display-screen battery drain in digital SLR
cameras.

How?

(The author's) statement *is* ambiguous. Uhh, I assume it's because one
would not normally use an image display screen for a digital SLR?

Thanks for the feedback-- Larry

Regards,
Aaron Queenan.

Old July 30th 03, 07:40 PM
matt

its been done... *Totally* silent SLR mirror... ZERO noise because it
doesn't even move.
Its called pellicle.
Canon had it in the Pellix line of cameras in the 70's and up until a couple
years ago in the 1nRS.
But granted, it does loose a bit of light to the film.

. ..

Old July 30th 03, 09:10 PM
Larry Miller

"matt" wrote in
:

its been done... *Totally* silent SLR mirror... ZERO noise because it
doesn't even move.
Its called pellicle.
Canon had it in the Pellix line of cameras in the 70's and up until a
couple years ago in the 1nRS.
But granted, it does loose a bit of light to the film.

Which is, I assume, the reason for its demise. Basic conceptual flaw, IMHO.

Larry
Old July 31st 03, 02:05 AM
DKFletcher

Bronica did a split mirror in the the 70's. The EC and ECTL i think. As long
as you knew which side to focus on you wrer fine.

Dirk