Picasa substitute

Old July 12th 19, 01:58 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
sobriquet

Default Picasa substitute

On Wednesday, July 10, 2019 at 8:28:45 PM UTC+2, The Real Bev wrote:
I love it for editing. It's simple and does simple stuff, but the only
things I'd want it to do in addition are straightening wide-angle shots
to make them VISUALLY correct and blow up a photo to a desired size.
I'm using the version that runs under wine on slackware. I've got GIMP
if I want to do anything complex (I did once, maybe four or five years
ago). I've got xv for blowing up things, but it doesn't save the EXIF
data, which is important.

I've recently discovered that I can search BY WORD among my entire set
of photos and actually find what I'm looking for. Suddenly I can't live
without that function :-( I rename all my photos to date-time.jpg and
store the originals in one subdirectory and the edited versions in a
different one. Before google bought the Picasa website I kept
everything in 'albums' there. Now that it got converted to Google
Photos I still do, but the display isn't as good. Stupid google.

I've got to do special stuff that's fraught with peril to get
32-bit-only apps to run on my 64-bit system. At this point I really
don't want to even think about updating to the next (if any) version of
slackware for fear of finally losing picasa.

I've looked at a number of photo editing programs for linux. Most DO
NOT offer simple tarballs, and the deb2tgz thing is frequently iffy, I
need new libraries, etc. I don't want to spend more than half a minute
to edit anything I've done because it's just not worth it.

1. It just occurred to me that I might be able to run Irfanview under
wine. I liked it a long time ago when I was running windows. Has
anybody done this?

2. Any other suggestions?

--
Cheers, Bev
"Screw the end users. If they want good software,

Maybe try Krita.. it has advanced features as well, but you can also use it for basic tasks.

https://krita.org/en/download/krita-desktop/
Old July 13th 19, 06:41 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
sobriquet

On Saturday, July 13, 2019 at 6:49:48 PM UTC+2, The Real Bev wrote:
On 07/12/2019 05:58 AM, sobriquet wrote:
[...]

Downloaded. Looked at the installation guide referred to in the README.
I suspect I'm going to need a lot of libraries which require other
libraries which... BTDT!

Thanks, maybe later. Slackware is annoyingly different :-(

--
Cheers, Bev
"Tough? We drink our urine and eat our dead!"

I don't think you need any libraries. You just install it and use it, no need for any additional stuff.