What format do you store edits in?

Old January 26th 07, 02:21 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Paul D. Sullivan

Default What format do you store edits in?

My cameras produce JPG images. Since re-saving after edits
degrades the image, I'm wondering what format ya'all are storing
these images in while you are working on them.

I have used the Paint Shop Pro format before, but am thinking
that PNG might be a good "Neutral" format for editing in other
apps.

Wondering if you would be so kind as to share what formats you
prefer to save things in while you are editing and working with
the image prior to putting them on the web or what not.

Thanks

Old January 26th 07, 02:53 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
David Dyer-Bennet

Paul D. Sullivan wrote:
My cameras produce JPG images. Since re-saving after edits
degrades the image, I'm wondering what format ya'all are storing
these images in while you are working on them.

I have used the Paint Shop Pro format before, but am thinking
that PNG might be a good "Neutral" format for editing in other
apps.

Wondering if you would be so kind as to share what formats you
prefer to save things in while you are editing and working with
the image prior to putting them on the web or what not.

My working files are PSD, photoshop format. That maintains all the
layers, including adjustment layers with layer masks, and everything else.

If I want to save an archival final copy, I use TIFF. Sometimes I
preserve the layers, sometimes I flatten -- it depends what the layers
are in that particular image. PNG isn't a crazy choice, but TIFF is far
more widely supported.

Old January 26th 07, 03:36 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Mike Fields

"Paul D. Sullivan" wrote in message
Cool. Thanks for the info.

Paul D. Sullivan wrote:
[...]

I would also suggest NOT modifying the original. I always
(except for special cases where I will not need it later) keep
the original. Any editing is saved to a new version (gives me
a path back if nothing else when I screw it up ! ). It was
not clear from the original post if it was the working copy that
was being discussed or the original picture.

mikey

Old January 26th 07, 06:12 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Rod

Paul D. Sullivan wrote:
My cameras produce JPG images. Since re-saving after edits
degrades the image, I'm wondering what format ya'all are storing
these images in while you are working on them.

I have used the Paint Shop Pro format before, but am thinking
that PNG might be a good "Neutral" format for editing in other
apps.

Wondering if you would be so kind as to share what formats you
prefer to save things in while you are editing and working with
the image prior to putting them on the web or what not.

Thanks

I keep mine as PSD files while working on them and
for the final file. I use the PSD to print, since
I do all of my printing from Photoshop. I then
save the final as a high res very low compression
jpg for viewing.