P&S camera with GPS?

Old January 12th 18, 01:13 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

Default P&S camera with GPS?

In article , David Taylor
wrote:

Cameras with GPS tend to eat batteries.

not the better ones.
Old January 12th 18, 01:33 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
android

On 2018-01-12 12:12:00 +0000, David Taylor said:

On 11/01/2018 08:55, micky wrote:
I've finally started going through my 100's of pictures from last spring
-- and it's wonderful -- and I'm pleased to say that in context I can
remember where, usually exactly where, each one was taken.

But I'm 71 and I can see the day coming when I won't remember my name,
so maybe I should consider a camera with GPS. Plus even now, once in a
while, I wish I knew where a lone picture was taken.

OTOH, I'm just a tourist, not what any of you folks would call a
photographer and I like that I can put my current camera in my shirt
pocket, that it doesn't swing around and get broken, doesn't attract
muggers, and doesn't weigh much.

So any chance to find a small P&S camera with GPS or geo-tagging?

If not, what would be the smallest cheapest camera with GPS, or -- I
don't need a make and model -- how big would it be and how much would
it cost?

When I googled I got mostly dash cams, drone cams, etc. so I figured I'd
save time and ask you all.

Mobile phone good enough? Cameras with GPS tend to eat batteries.

Syncing GPX files from mobiles is the goto solution if your camera
don't have integrated GPS.

Put something like GPSLogger on your Android device:

https://gpslogger.en.aptoide.com/

And sync with GPSPrune on your computer:

https://activityworkshop.net/software/gpsprune/index.html
--
teleportation kills

Old January 12th 18, 04:20 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article ,
Whisky-dave wrote:

Mobile phone good enough? Cameras with GPS tend to eat batteries.

Only if they are on, nost cameras spend most of the time off unlike mobile
phones which tend to remain on.

the gps in phones is normally off, but either way, not all cameras with
gps 'eat batteries'.
Old January 12th 18, 08:28 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
RJH

On 12/01/2018 15:20, nospam wrote:
In article ,
Whisky-dave wrote:

Mobile phone good enough? Cameras with GPS tend to eat batteries.

Only if they are on, nost cameras spend most of the time off unlike mobile
phones which tend to remain on.

the gps in phones is normally off, but either way, not all cameras with
gps 'eat batteries'.

As I mentioned up-thread, my Panasonic did until a firmware fix came
out. IIRC, that reduced the behaviour of satellite polling, and it
became quite usable, not affecting battery life too much at all.

--
Cheers, Rob
Old January 12th 18, 08:32 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , RJH wrote:

Mobile phone good enough? Cameras with GPS tend to eat batteries.

Only if they are on, nost cameras spend most of the time off unlike mobile
phones which tend to remain on.

the gps in phones is normally off, but either way, not all cameras with
gps 'eat batteries'.

As I mentioned up-thread, my Panasonic did until a firmware fix came
out. IIRC, that reduced the behaviour of satellite polling, and it
became quite usable, not affecting battery life too much at all.

in other words, they fixed a bug and now it works properly.
Old January 12th 18, 10:49 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Alan Browne[_2_]

On 2018-01-11 17:17, Savageduck wrote:
On Jan 11, 2018, Alan Browne wrote
(in ):

On 2018-01-11 03:55, micky wrote:
[...]

As others point out, your smartphone may be enough as is?

If not ...

Since "cheapest" is a criteria, not buying a camera at all is another
option: use the P&S you already have.

That is always an option for any shooter in the market for a P&S.

You would use your smartphone to record your location at all times while
doing photography. This does require you synchronize the date and time
of the camera as accurately as possible to a reference time source (such
as NIST in the US). Within 10 seconds will fit most needs and within 1
s. if possible.

With my Fuji...

This was just presented as the ultimate cheapest option to what others
replied. Works well with a few extra steps.

--
“When it is all said and done, there are approximately 94 million
full-time workers in private industry paying taxes to support 102
Old January 13th 18, 10:12 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
David Taylor

On 12/01/2018 12:33, android wrote:
[]
Syncing GPX files from mobiles is the goto solution if your camera don't
have integrated GPS.

Put something like GPSLogger on your Android device:

https://gpslogger.en.aptoide.com/

And sync with GPSPrune on your computer:

https://activityworkshop.net/software/gpsprune/index.html

I actually use a separate USB-stick sized logger for this, so that the
phone doesn't need to keep its GPS active. This lasts for a working day
(over 12 hours) and can store a couple of weeks of data:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Ventus-G730.../dp/B002UO87QS

I then use GeoSetter:

http://www.geosetter.de/en/

Having said that, it's an extra step to geotag your images, and having a
camera with the GPS built in (or iPad/mobile phone) is much easier. A
phone lacks zoom and isn't as good in low-light.

The snag with any of today's devices for a 71-year old may be the need
to put on reading glasses before you can see to take an image - you may
miss the shot!

--
Cheers,
David
Old January 13th 18, 12:32 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Alfred Molon[_4_]

In article , David Taylor says...
Mobile phone good enough? Cameras with GPS tend to eat batteries.

Well, at least not the Sony A65. The inbuilt GPS has no significant
impact on the battery life.
It's just that when you switch the A65 and are in a different location
from the last time you used the GPS, it can take some time (up to one
minute in the worst case) for the camera to get the GPS position.
--
Alfred Molon

Old January 14th 18, 01:01 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
micky

In rec.photo.digital, on Thu, 11 Jan 2018 03:55:30 -0500, micky
wrote:

[...]

Thanks all. You've given me a lot of good ideas, even how to do it
without a new camera. I'll work on it.

Old January 14th 18, 01:06 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
micky

wrote:

So any chance to find a small P&S camera with GPS or geo-tagging?

I lost track of who suggested my phone!! I immediately checked the exif
info for pictures I've taken with my previous phone (that broke) and
there was no geo-data.

I had to get a new phone, a better one, but still only $240, and I've
taken a few pictures, but haven't copied them to the computer yet and
don't know if it has geo-data or not. It didn't say it did in the
advertising.

Even though I said I was only a tourist, I like taking pictures with a
real camera. With the phone I feel like a tourist squared! But still,
when I'm some place with no context, or only taking one or two pictures,
or that will be hard to find again, using the phone will be a v. good
idea.

Thanks all.