Lens Cell Cleaning

Old February 23rd 11, 04:18 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format
Richard Knoppow

Default Lens Cell Cleaning

"Richard Knoppow" wrote in message

"Thor Lancelot Simon" wrote in message

The curious thing is that Wollensak's prices were no
lower than Kodak's for their "premium" lenses. I think
there was some sort of design blunder made on the design
for the Raptar/Optar lenses used on press cameras and the
Enlarging Raptar lenses, which are also pretty bad.
Kodak's Ektar lenses are uniformly excellent as are the
Enlarging Ektars. Even Ilex lenses, also not cheap by any
means were head and shoulders better than Wollensak. Now,
another curiosity is that the Optar lenses made by
Wollensak for the Series-D Graflex are excellent. A
different design even though still a Tessar. They were
offered as an alternative to the Ektar lenses for these
cameras but the price was about the same.
I think Wollensak got the reputation for being cheap
because they made a lot of OEM lenses for cheap cameras.
So did Ilex for that matter.
Wollensak shutters OTOH are excellent and, since they
use all hair-springs, can be rebuilt with new parts.

I'll also add that the telephoto lenses made by
Wollensak for press cameras are quite respectable. These
were sold directly as Tele-Raptar and by Graflex as
Tele-Optar.

Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles, CA, USA

Old June 7th 11, 07:52 AM
renzdurano renzdurano is offline
Banned

Cleaning our lens is very important for us to capture a good quality pictures..and also we have to keep it clean also to keep away Cockroaches into our cameras...
Old November 29th 11, 01:30 PM
Sascha11 Sascha11 is offline
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by renzdurano View Post
Cleaning our lens is very important for us to capture a good quality pictures..and also we have to keep it clean also to keep away Cockroaches into our cameras...
"The dirt is on the inside of the lens" - but this could be inside the lens!
There are certainly signs of edge degradation of the balsam.
The front lens comes out of the shutter as a complete cell. Ordinary anti-clockwise release thread. You may need (should) remove the lens board from the front standard before attempting this. You can hold the rear cell and turn the front cell. You have a 50% chance that the front cell loosens before the rear cell. Otherwise the pneumatic cylinders should provide some leverage (careful!).