Printing w/o easel

Old February 13th 07, 03:16 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom
Steven Woody

Default Printing w/o easel

hi,

on a thread of photo.net, i saw an article which instroduced a method
of printing w/o easel, it seems interesting to me, but i believe i am
not well understood what she said. can anyone please unfold the
details to me? thanks.

"I have a easel, but I don't use it since I read somewhere about this
solution that I found very good: With an adesive spray and a piece of
plane wood. Spraying one side of the wood, You get an adesive easel.
You put paper in the adesive side of the piece of wood, expose, and
gentle remove the paper. I found this very practical."

-
woody

Old February 13th 07, 06:52 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom
David Nebenzahl

Steven Woody spake thus:

on a thread of photo.net, i saw an article which instroduced a method
of printing w/o easel, it seems interesting to me, but i believe i am
not well understood what she said. can anyone please unfold the
details to me? thanks.

"I have a easel, but I don't use it since I read somewhere about this
solution that I found very good: With an adesive spray and a piece of
plane wood. Spraying one side of the wood, You get an adesive easel.
You put paper in the adesive side of the piece of wood, expose, and
gentle remove the paper. I found this very practical."

It's simple: you just need to read what they wrote.

Translation: take a piece of flat wood. Spray it with sticky stuff.
Stick the paper to it. Expose. Peel off and develop.

Sounds a little messy for my liking, but whatever.

--
Don't talk to me, those of you who must need to be slammed in the
forehead with a maul before you'll GET IT that Wikipedia is a

It is a WASTE OF TIME.

- Harlan Ellison, writing on the "talk page" of his Wikipedia article
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk:Harlan_Ellison)
Old February 14th 07, 02:30 AM posted to rec.photo.darkroom
JJ

Steven Woody wrote:

"I have a easel, but I don't use it since I read somewhere about this
solution that I found very good: With an adesive spray and a piece of
plane wood.

Don't EVEN go there. Whoever wrote that is a keyboard printer.
Old February 14th 07, 04:37 AM posted to rec.photo.darkroom
David Nebenzahl

JJ spake thus:

Steven Woody wrote:

"I have a easel, but I don't use it since I read somewhere about this
solution that I found very good: With an adesive spray and a piece of
plane wood.

Don't EVEN go there. Whoever wrote that is a keyboard printer.

??? "Keyboard printer"? 'Splain yourself.

Besides which, why is this thread in the "large print edition"?

Old February 14th 07, 04:42 AM posted to rec.photo.darkroom
Ken Hart

"Steven Woody" wrote in message
ups.com...
hi,

on a thread of photo.net, i saw an article which instroduced a method
of printing w/o easel, it seems interesting to me, but i believe i am
not well understood what she said. can anyone please unfold the
details to me? thanks.

"I have a easel, but I don't use it since I read somewhere about this
solution that I found very good: With an adesive spray and a piece of
plane wood. Spraying one side of the wood, You get an adesive easel.
You put paper in the adesive side of the piece of wood, expose, and
gentle remove the paper. I found this very practical."

-
woody

The type of adhesive you use is important. Too sticky, and you won't be able
to easily remove the paper for developing. You want a "re-positionable" or
"low-tack" adhesive, similiar to that used on post-it notes.
The adhesive will lose it's stickiness due to dust collecting on it and you
will have to give it another coat of spray. Eventually, the board will get
so gummed up and messy that you will give it up in favor of a real
borderless easel.

--
Ken Hart

Old February 14th 07, 04:55 AM posted to rec.photo.darkroom
David Nebenzahl

Steven Woody spake thus:

on a thread of photo.net, i saw an article which instroduced a method
of printing w/o easel, it seems interesting to me, but i believe i am
not well understood what she said. can anyone please unfold the
details to me? thanks.

[gory details snipped]

Two more methods of printing borderlessly to consider:

1. Vacuum easel: board with small holes drilled in it connected to
vacuum source (vacuum cleaner could be used).

2. Sheet of glass placed over paper.

Can't vouch for how effective the second method is, but the first one
works well if you want to go to the trouble.

Old February 14th 07, 05:25 AM posted to rec.photo.darkroom
[email protected]

"Steven Woody" wrote:

hi, on a thread of photo.net, i saw an article which
instroduced a method of printing w/o easel, it seems
interesting to me ... woody

Check out these materials via Google. 3M ReMount and
3M Spray Mount. Also you can search by, MMM 6091, MMM 6065,
and MMM 6064.
Steve Anchell has detailed a Sticky Easel in his Darkroom
Cook book. I've read good reports for both the 3M and Anchell's
Sticky easels.
I tested a wet paper method. Sponge dried the paper rested
quite flat upon a pre-positioned support. I'll be doing some
more work with that method. Dan

Old February 14th 07, 10:42 AM posted to rec.photo.darkroom
Steven Woody

On Feb 14, 2:52 am, David Nebenzahl wrote:
Steven Woody spake thus:

[...]

okay, i begin to understand the method but .... after focusing, how
to put the new printing paper in the same position as the focusing
paper?

thanks.

-
woody

Old February 14th 07, 05:01 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom
Mike

Printing without an easel is no problem with flat RC paper. Just put some
removeable marks on the baseboard so you know where to position the paper.

Unfortunately FB paper often doesn't stay flat, so you need either an
easel or one of the many other methods (vacuum, adhesive, etc.)

Old February 14th 07, 05:02 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom
Mike

okay, i begin to understand the method but .... after focusing, how
to put the new printing paper in the same position as the focusing
paper?

Just put a tiny piece of masking tape on the board to guide the placement
of real paper.

Heck, I use just a couple pencils when printing RC paper without anything