Question about Nova FB print processor

Old December 4th 06, 04:35 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom
Thor Lancelot Simon

Default Question about Nova FB print processor

In article ,
Lloyd Erlick Lloyd at @the-wire. dot com wrote:

I used to watch a buddy of mine make four
16x20s at a time in his triple-tray setup. It
makes my heart go into my mouth just
watching. No doubt this is a personality flaw
peculiar to me, but I have a perfect solution
that does not involve psychoanalysis. One
sheet at a time in one tray.

You must have a _lot_ of time on your hands. I used to do large
black and white prints in a drum on my Jobo -- if I were going to
process one sheet at a time, that is probably what I would still do.

But at approximately 10 minutes of wet time per print (2.5 minutes
develop; 30 seconds stop; 3 minutes x 2 fix; plus pour in and out time)
the processing alone would be 40 minutes for two test prints and two
finals -- never mind all the partial test strips etc. The rotary
processor makes _beautiful_ black and white prints -- you realize just
how many little irregularities creep in in tray processing -- and it
is nice to work with the lights on, but I would like to be able to go
into the darkroom for two or three hours and come out with more than
one finished print for my trouble!

--
Thor Lancelot Simon
"The liberties...lose much of their value whenever those who have greater
Old December 4th 06, 05:20 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom
John

On Mon, 04 Dec 2006 07:51:04 -0500, Lloyd Erlick Lloyd at @the-wire.
dot com wrote:

No, I never pre-wet

Do you pre-stop ? How about pre-fix ? Pre-dry ? Pre-expose ? In
Canada, do you have pre-holiday sales ? Do you send children to
pre-schools ? Can you pre-book a pre-flight on an airplane ? And is
having sex with someone you don't intend to marry still considered
pre-marital ?

I just want to pre-know for my next pre-conversation on the use of
pre-verbs ;)

==
John S. Douglas
Photographer & Webmaster
Legacy-photo.com - Xs750.net
Old December 4th 06, 05:20 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom
Lloyd Erlick

On Mon, 4 Dec 2006 16:35:01 +0000 (UTC),
(Thor Lancelot Simon) wrote:

You must have a _lot_ of time on your hands.

December 4, 2006, from Lloyd Erlick,

Well, my day seems to fly away, but that
comes with age, they say.

A properly done, final, finished print (16x20
or 20x24) (finished as far as it can be while
wet, including selenium toning and perhaps
gold toning; still needs spotting, etc.) will
usually take me about an hour, once I've
established all my parameters, which of
course takes time, too.

I'm by nature slow moving and slow working. I
like to think out what I'm going to do and do
it in a way I can repeat. I long ago gave up
quantity in favor of quality in the darkroom.
I also gave up anything that was going to
upset me, such as batch processing. I get
very attached to the poor little wet dears,
and I hate the thought that I might be
scratching them in a way that would show up
as soon as they were hung on the wall in
front of people who knew how to look at
them...

I'm sure many people could use my methods and
work more quickly than I do. Being faster
than I am is not much of an accomplishment. I
sometimes take my time and go very slowly
where people like that, too...

regards,
--le
________________________________
Lloyd Erlick Portraits, Toronto.
website:
www.heylloyd.com
telephone: 416-686-0326
email:
________________________________

Old December 4th 06, 05:20 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom
John

On Mon, 04 Dec 2006 07:53:33 -0500, Lloyd Erlick Lloyd at @the-wire.
dot com wrote:

The very best trays I've ever owned are some rather heavy 20X24 trays
that are made of fiberglass and feature a drain built in to the
bottom. The drain goes up the side of the tray and then connects to a
10" long 1/2" ID rubber hose. All one needs to do is to tip up the
tray with the hose in a bottle and all the chemicals are drained out
without even introducing air into the mix.

==

December 4, 2006, from Lloyd Erlick,

Brilliant! Let's go into business
manufacturing these things! With all the
black and white darkroom workers out there,
I'm sure we'll get rich ...

Ah ! This explains why the company went belly up !

==
John S. Douglas
Photographer & Webmaster
Legacy-photo.com - Xs750.net
Old December 4th 06, 05:24 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom
Lloyd Erlick

dot com wrote:

No, I never pre-wet

Do you pre-stop ? How about pre-fix ? Pre-dry ? Pre-expose ? In
Canada, do you have pre-holiday sales ? Do you send children to
pre-schools ? Can you pre-book a pre-flight on an airplane ? And is
having sex with someone you don't intend to marry still considered
pre-marital ?

I just want to pre-know for my next pre-conversation on the use of
pre-verbs ;)

==
John S. Douglas
Photographer & Webmaster
Legacy-photo.com - Xs750.net

December 4, 2006, from Lloyd Erlick,

My first job in photography was making
pictures of an importer's goods for the sales
staff.

One of the categories of items they sold was
.... cruet sets. Rhymes with prewet ...

Actually, I prefer to use the term presoak.
Or pronounce it Pres'-o-ak, a tribe of Plains
Indians ...

regards,
--le