Darkroom software Help

Old August 9th 06, 06:47 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom

Default Darkroom software Help

"nathantw" wrote in message
m...
Wow, that's pretty interesting stuff. $300 for something a $0.05 pencil
and paper can do.

Wow, .05 cent pencil! I can do it in my head for nothing!

Old August 9th 06, 06:58 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom
Nicholas O. Lindan

"nathantw" wrote

$300 for something a $0.05 pencil and paper can do.

One can say that about the whole of photography. But even
Picasso saw fit to supplement his $0.05 pencil with a $300
camera.

http://www.detroitmona.com/picasso's_camera.htm

Can't recognize the camera though, about 2/3 way down on
the left. French? Italian? Can't be a Fed 2, can it?
Oh well, so Picasso only spent $30 on a camera.

* * *

But what the hey, back to computers in the darkroom:
a simple one-function digital enlarging timer can cost
$300 new. Counting elephants is for free.

Me, I believe spending a mere $159 on an F-Stop timer is one
of the nicest things one can do for one's darkroom experience.

--
Nicholas O. Lindan, Cleveland, Ohio
Consulting Engineer: Electronics, Photonics, Informatics.

Old August 9th 06, 06:59 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom
Claudio Bonavolta

j a écrit :
"nathantw" wrote in message
m...

Wow, that's pretty interesting stuff. $300 for something a $0.05 pencil
and paper can do.

Wow, .05 cent pencil! I can do it in my head for nothing!

What a head :-)

Claudio Bonavolta
http://www.bonavolta.ch
Old August 9th 06, 07:05 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom
Claudio Bonavolta

Nicholas O. Lindan a écrit :
"nathantw" wrote

$300 for something a $0.05 pencil and paper can do.

One can say that about the whole of photography. But even
Picasso saw fit to supplement his $0.05 pencil with a $300
camera.

http://www.detroitmona.com/picasso's_camera.htm

Can't recognize the camera though, about 2/3 way down on
the left. French? Italian? Can't be a Fed 2, can it?
Oh well, so Picasso only spent $30 on a camera.

* * *

But what the hey, back to computers in the darkroom:
a simple one-function digital enlarging timer can cost
$300 new. Counting elephants is for free.

Me, I believe spending a mere $159 on an F-Stop timer is one
of the nicest things one can do for one's darkroom experience.

Yep, but you don't have that *head* ! :-)

The problem with people closed minded is that they just can't accept
others can do the things differently.
And he has a head, I suppose a brain too, imagine if he didn't ???

Claudio Bonavolta
http://www.bonavolta.ch
Old August 9th 06, 10:35 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom
[email protected]

Claudio Bonavolta wrote:

I'm pretty happy others are also working on similar projects as I
strongly believe a computer-based system can help a lot in a
traditional darkroom. Claudio Bonavolta

Apple's computer operating system OS-X includes the Java
programing language, compiler, and integration software. I'll likely
have an Apple this fall. Have you any thoughts about building
data-base software using an Apple computer and the
included software? Dan

Old August 10th 06, 01:18 AM posted to rec.photo.darkroom
David Nebenzahl

Nicholas O. Lindan spake thus:

"nathantw" wrote

$300 for something a $0.05 pencil and paper can do.

One can say that about the whole of photography. But even
Picasso saw fit to supplement his $0.05 pencil with a $300
camera.

http://www.detroitmona.com/picasso's_camera.htm

Can't recognize the camera though, about 2/3 way down on
the left. French? Italian? Can't be a Fed 2, can it?
Oh well, so Picasso only spent $30 on a camera.

Sure looks like a FED-2 to me.

But take a look at those pictures supposedly taken with this "broken"
(cracked lens?) camera, which, it is further supposed, may have inspired
his later paintings of distorted faces.

Can you say "hoax"?

--
In order to embark on a new course, the only one that will
solve the problem: negotiations and peace with the Palestinians,

Because it's only with enemies that one makes peace.

- Uri Avnery, Israeli writer and peace activist with Gush Shalom.
(http://counterpunch.org/avnery08032006.html)
Old August 10th 06, 02:00 AM posted to rec.photo.darkroom

"Claudio Bonavolta" wrote in message
j a écrit :

Wow, .05 cent pencil! I can do it in my head for nothing!

What a head :-)

Unfortunately, sometimes it wants to run on Guinness. Damn, it's tough
being Irish. High-octane beer is spendy stuff.

Old August 10th 06, 02:10 AM posted to rec.photo.darkroom

"Nicholas O. Lindan" wrote:
Me, I believe spending a mere $159 on an F-Stop timer is one
of the nicest things one can do for one's darkroom experience.

Ah hah! There you are!

Can I run an Omega Chromegacontrol power unit from your timer? Somehow?
Seriously, yours is the first piece of new technology I have considered
buying, but unfortunately my LF enlarger is a POS with a color head, and
methinks the power controller is required.

Let me know. I'd be more than happy to find a reason to trash the piece of
crap, if I can find a conventional bulb head.

Old August 10th 06, 04:33 AM posted to rec.photo.darkroom
Nicholas O. Lindan

"j" wrote
Can I run an Omega Chromegacontrol power unit from [a Darkroom Automation
F-Stop] timer?

http://www.nolindan.com/da/fstop/

If the Chromegatrol can plug into a regular ole'
GraLab/Time-O-Lite/Beseler timer then the answer is
yes.

Old August 10th 06, 05:59 AM posted to rec.photo.darkroom
David Nebenzahl

Default Fun & games w/"Picasso's camera"

David Nebenzahl spake thus:

Nicholas O. Lindan spake thus:

"nathantw" wrote

$300 for something a $0.05 pencil and paper can do.

One can say that about the whole of photography. But even
Picasso saw fit to supplement his $0.05 pencil with a $300
camera.

http://www.detroitmona.com/picasso's_camera.htm

Can't recognize the camera though, about 2/3 way down on
the left. French? Italian? Can't be a Fed 2, can it?
Oh well, so Picasso only spent $30 on a camera.

Sure looks like a FED-2 to me.

But take a look at those pictures supposedly taken with this "broken"
(cracked lens?) camera, which, it is further supposed, may have inspired
his later paintings of distorted faces.

Can you say "hoax"?

Well, "hoax" is a bit too harsh a word: prank is more like it.

And I have to admit they got me, too.

I wrote to MONA and got an amazingly quick response, including this clip
from a newspaper article about the museum and its founder:

Mastermind behind MONA shrewdly takes on Picasso

Taking a playful jab at the 20th-century artist, Jef Bourgeau's exhibit
stands out

by Joy Hakanson Colby for the The Detroit News

(Detroit) - Jef Bourgeau is a one-man museum -- the founder, director,
curator and stable of artists associated with the Museum of New Art (aka
MONA).

Sometimes he exhibits his photographs under the name Stig Eklund. Or, he
paints showy abstractions signed Taki Murakishi. Then, he'll "curate" a
group exhibit featuring Billy Conklin, Kenzu Nagawa, Hanne Bloot and
Missy Wiggins -- all personalities he invented and supplied with
different art styles.

"I get an idea and want to go in a different direction," he explains.
"So I create an artist to do the job."

Bourgeau is playing his latest name game with a 20th-century art giant
-- Pablo Picasso, no less. It took real chutzpah to come up with the
current exhibit called "Picasso's Camera." This risky project is packed
with edgy humor, and it swipes at sacred cows and offers commentary on
art world quirks.

With tongue in cheek, Bourgeau credits a broken lens on Picasso's camera
with inspiring Cubism, a great breakthrough in modern art. To illustrate
this, MONA's head man produced a series of fractured photo portraits
that are wonderfully outrageous.

Or, Picasso is interpreted through Bourgeau's "combines," which are
sculptures made with found objects joined to make a point. For instance,
there's the antique bellows that resembles a Picasso mask. It's attached
by means of a fire hose to a sexy red shoe that recalls the famous one's
reputation as a womanizer.

A video titled "The Mystery of Picasso" keeps flipping nothing but
credits. Another video captures the master's face inside a pet carrier
and calls attention to itself by heavy breathing.

Although Picasso is the centerpiece of the exhibit, Bourgeau included a
few leftover art works from earlier shows. One is the notorious "Bathtub
Jesus," a combine that closed his one-man show at the Detroit Institute
of Arts on its third day in 1999. When the museum was accused of
censorship, it caused a ruckus in the international art community.

With "Picasso's Camera," Bourgeau demonstrates once more why his one-man
museum is celebrating its 10th anniversary this year and is likely to go
for 20. It's a Detroit treasure.

As one last personal note:

Maybe it’s the new year, maybe it’s just the passing of time, but I’m
evaluating people who have touched my life over the years. I must say
that Jef Bourgeau has made a dent in my thinking. I always somehow
mistrust the word “genius” but I think if I were going to use it for an
artist in this place and time, it would be for Bourgeau. I think his
ideas and his philosophy need time to reach people, to seep through the
armor that walls off our brains. I’ve been in turn annoyed, angry,
dazzled, amused, nonplussed, outraged, intimidated, bewildered and a
host of other emotions that his work calls up. All I can say at this
point is…The Picasso show is a wonder. - Joy Hakanson Colby