fixing fiber paper using hypo

Old July 21st 04, 09:24 PM
Richard Knoppow

Default fixing fiber paper using hypo

"Jorge Omar" wrote in message
Richard

Since papers should be fully developed, I fail to see the

risks of
continuing development in the fixer, and if the fixer is

not acidic, any
alkali carryover shall not do any harm also.

Could you pls comment?

Jorge

Paper is not really fully deveoped. It is _nearly_ fully
developed so if there is much continued developement in the
rinse or fixing bath it can change the density of the print.
I think Ammonium fixer works so quickly that this is
probably not a real issue. Carried over alkali will not hurt
the fixing bath. However, if there is not enough sulfite in
the fixer the developer can produce reaction products which
will leave stains on the print. Also, if there is enough
dissolved silver in the bath the carried over developer will
react with it to produce metallic silver which can cause
dichroic stains on the print.
Where a sulfite wash aid is used alkaline fixers do not
have any advantage in shorter washing times. The sulfite
bath will adjust the gelatin pH to above its isoelectric
point eliminating electronic binding of thiosulfate and
fixer reaction products to the gelatin and image silver. It
will also eliminate the "mordanting" effect of aluminum
sulfate hardener.
Neutral fixing baths are common in color processing. A
water rinse preceding the fixing bath is all that is used
but it is a short running water wash not just a dip in a
tray of re-used water.
The original poster should check to see if Agfa chemistry
is available in his country. If so, Agfa Universal fixer is
a good, neutral pH, non hardening rapid fixer. Actually any
C-41 fixer should do and may be available where B&W
chemistry is hard to find.

--
---
Richard Knoppow

Old July 21st 04, 09:32 PM
Richard Knoppow

"Tom" tom@localhost wrote in message
Why in the heck would you need two baths when using it

one-shot? Two bath hypo
systems are used as protection against used up hypo. The

only way one-shot hypo
is going to get used up is if you made it too dilute.

There is either enough
hypo in it, or there is not. Your statement seems silly on

the face of it.

--

Dan Quinn wrote:

(sreenath) wrote

If I don't want the hardner...

Then all you need is sodium thiosulfate. In your shoes

I'd add
a small portion of sulfite or bisulfite for better

keeping.
I use S. or A. Thio. one-shot, very dilute; always

fresh. Two
baths for archival results.

Dan

"Richard Knoppow" wrote

Sodium thiosulfate fixer does a good job.

You should not need two baths for one-shot fixing. I
also worry about the "very dilute" fixer. Fixer depends on
having a lot of free thiosulfate ions available. As it works
the thiosulfate bonds the silver. It takes about three
thiosulfate ions to convert one ion of silver halide. A very
dilute bath may become exhausted to the point of not being
able to complete the fixing process before even a single
film or paper is fixed. Two baths might work better here.
However, since a two bath system has a very large capacity
for archival fixing when compared to a single bath it is
probably more economical than using fixer one shot. Ammonium
thiosulfate has much larger capacity than sodium thiosulfate
especially for film. It is much less affected by Iodides
from the film and generally by the amount of dissolved
silver.
There is a tendency for Ammonium Thiosulfate fixer (Rapid
fixer) to dissolve metallic silver, bleaching the image,
when film or paper is left in it too long but this effect
takes place only when the fixer is acid, so is not a problem
with neutral or alkaline rapid fixers.

--
---
Richard Knoppow

Old July 26th 04, 08:02 PM
Robert Vervoordt

On Wed, 21 Jul 2004 00:47:30 -0700, "Richard Knoppow"
wrote:

"sreenath" wrote in message
. com...
I can get Ammonium chloride easily. I see from newsgroup

postings that
the formula for F-7 fixer is :

Water, about 1250F (500C) 600 ml
Sodium thiosulfate pentahydrate 360 g
Ammonium chloride 50 g
Sodium sulfite, desiccated 15 g
Acetic acid, 28% 48 ml
Boric acid, crystals 7.5 g
Potassium alum 15 g
Cold water to make 1.0 liter

If I don't want the hardner, will the following formula

do?

(Non hardening version of Kodak Rapid Fixing Bath F-7)

Water, about 1250F (500C) 600 ml
Sodium thiosulfate pentahydrate 360 g
Ammonium chloride 50 g
Sodium sulfite, desiccated 15 g
Cold water to make 1.0 liter

Is acetic acid necessary? Could sodium bisulfite be used

as an
alternative to Acetic acid?

Is the temperature of water right? I have always used

water without
heating, but the formula above specifies 125 degree

Farenheit.

Thanks for the help,
Sreenath

The above should be work fine.
Previous stuff snipped... Any hadening fixer can be made
non-hardening by leaving out the hardener. Since the acid is
there mainly for the hardener it can also be left out. Both
Ammonium and Sodium Thiosulfate work regardless of pH.
Fixer with Ammonium chloride and Sodium thiosulfate is
faster than Sodium thiosulfate but not quite as fast as when
made with Ammonium thiosulfate.

Please accomodate me here, Richard. When reading the following
entence, I was a bit confused as to your meaning.
..
Note that when neutral or alkaline Ammonium thiosulfate
fixers no longer bleach the image.

Did you leave out comma? If you meant:

" Note that when neutral or alkaline, Ammonium thiosulfate
^
fixers no longer bleach the image."

then I assume the next sentence refers to the situation applying to
the use of AT fixers in the usual Acid state. Is that what you meant?

This is not usually a
problem when fixing times are not extended but can affect
warm tone paper especially if the paper is left in the fixer
longer than necessary for fixing.

Regards

Robert Vervoordt, MFA