Might be the end of the line for Agfa Photo...

Old October 25th 05, 02:14 AM
pmp

Default Might be the end of the line for Agfa Photo...

UC wrote:

Althouigh I feel sorry for those affacted, I must say 'good riddance'
to Agfa film and paper. They suck...

Then you're blind.

While not fan of their paper and negative film, Scala is a beautiful
product, as is Rodinol with the right films.

-p
Old October 25th 05, 02:23 AM
Little Green Eyed Dragon

The little troll is best ignored or killfiled,....either will work for
me.

--
Would thou choose to meet a rat eating dragon, or
a dragon, eating rat? The answer of: I am somewhere
Old October 28th 05, 10:33 PM
Bob Hickey

"Mike" wrote in message
news

While not fan of their paper and negative film, Scala is a beautiful
product, as is Rodinol with the right films.

Rodinal is a great developer for FP4 and TMX in 4x5.

I've tried many, many dev. over the years, and I havn't found
anything close to Rodinal. I'm looking for a substitute now, in case they
stop making it. A dark day indeed.
Bob Hickey

Old October 29th 05, 03:00 AM
Rod Smith

In article ,
"Bob Hickey" writes:

I've tried many, many dev. over the years, and I havn't found
anything close to Rodinal. I'm looking for a substitute now, in case they
stop making it. A dark day indeed.

Look into Calbe R09 (normally available from J&C,
http://www.jandcphoto.com, although they're out of stock at the moment).
This is supposedly made from an earlier incarnation of the original
Rodinal formula. Another option is Photographers' Formulary's
(http://www.photoformulary.com) "Rodinal-like" developer. I get the
impression this ships as a powder, though, which is likely to be a little
more dangerous to mix than the average powdered developer. (Rodinal-type
developers use sodium hydroxide or potassium hydroxide, which is nasty
stuff -- sodium hydroxide is also known as lye.) You can also mix it from
separately purchased components, but as just noted, there are safety
issues with this approach. If you're skittish about handling the
components, it's best to stick with a pre-mixed version.

--
Rod Smith,
http://www.rodsbooks.com
Old October 29th 05, 12:19 PM
Gregory Blank

In article ,
(Rod Smith) wrote:

In article ,
"Bob Hickey" writes:

[...]

If they are skittish about mixing chemistry, maybe they should stay
on the porch with the pups and leave the darkroom work
to the big dogs. ;-)

Still it is proper to advise of the hazards.

to the American public."--Theodore Roosevelt, May 7, 1918
Old October 29th 05, 11:44 PM

LR Kalajainen wrote:

... MCC Classic.
I've come to love that paper as well as any ...

Agfa this and Agfa that. How many pies and
slices were they after. There problem # 1, up-
sizing and no way down. Early 19th century coating
plants were turning out two miles of paper a run.
I don't know what production capacity is today
but Kodak won't flick the switch any more for
fear of the many miles of RC-VC paper
hurting there bottom line.

Agfa's problem #2; they never played on their
reputation and customer base loyalty. I've noted
their film prices; lowest of the big four. I've
not paid any attention to their paper prices
because, like Kodak, they abandoned Graded
papers.

My conclusion is that the gargantuan production
capacity of yesterday's facilities is sinking the
industry. As an example a minimum order of 2000 lbs
of paper is as little as Bergger will consider.

And another example, JandC has told me that if I
wanted some single weight paper I'd have to finance
a special run. They will stock up on any amount
cut throat Chines film though. Cheap Cheap.

What the Hell sort of support is that? Dan

Old October 30th 05, 02:51 PM
Gregory Blank

In article .com,
wrote:

And another example, JandC has told me that if I
wanted some single weight paper I'd have to finance
a special run. They will stock up on any amount
cut throat Chines film though. Cheap Cheap.

What the Hell sort of support is that? Dan

There isn't because J &C bypasses the normal distribution channels on a
lot of products, which is why I would and do give serious consideration
before ordering from them (Period). I also view some of the bigger
dealers playing the Dealer brand game through a dim glass.

--
LF Website @
http://members.verizon.net/~gregoryblank

to the American public."--Theodore Roosevelt, May 7, 1918
Old October 30th 05, 03:27 PM
Roman J. Rohleder

Roman J. Rohleder schrieb:
David Nebenzahl schrieb:

So the question now becomes: who's going to buy the pieces?

Three divisions were sold today.

Fuji is interested in the Muenchen/Peiting plant, the division
developing and producing the laboratory equipment.

The Peiting "lab plant" has been sold to the british Photo Me
International. PMI was the company interested in buying Agfaphoto as a
whole, they maintain a networt of 25000 photo booths worldwide and own
the french KIS and swiss Gretag-Macbeth (buildingt the PMI hardware)..

The other plants are the chemical plant in Vaihingen/Enz near
Stuttgart,

Vaihingen and the Munich support center for the DLab service and spare
parts were sold to a german company, "A und O". This company is active
in IT hardware service and support and they are interested in taking
over the international support and distribution branch of AgfaPhoto,
too, delivering spare parts and chemistry to laboratories.

Gruss,
Roman
--
"Ich fuehle Portraits.
ich schmecke Landschaften.
Old October 30th 05, 10:47 PM

Roman J. Rohleder wrote:

Three divisions were sold today.

What of the division or divisions which produce
the film and the paper? Those are of first interest
to members of this NG and the silver gelatin
group as a whole. Dan