sharpest film currently on the market?

Old January 23rd 05, 10:17 PM
MXP

"jjs" skrev i en meddelelse
"MXP" wrote in message
. ..
I think the sharpest film out there is "Gigabit". A ISO 40 film which
should be able to
resolve 700 lp/mm.

For those who liked the discontinued Tech PAN? .....the Gigabit could be an
option.
I like the film. Only 20 sec. fixing time in normal film strength
fixer.....one has to remember.

Perhaps, but what is the sense in using a film that resolves far beyond
the capability of the lens?

For normal B/W film I find Agfa APX 100 very good. I think I like it
better than TMAX100.

The pure metrics of high-resolution might be against AXP100, but the fact
that it has grain, and yields well to occasional adjacency effects
certainly makes it a sharp-looking film. I like it best of all
conventional films.

Old January 23rd 05, 10:52 PM
Helge Nareid

On 23 Jan 2005 19:12:37 GMT, (Hemi4268) wrote:

The sharpest silver base film is made for holography.

Yes, it's called SO-253 Holographic. It has an ASA of about 2 and will do
about 400 lp/mm or more in noon summer sunlight.

Typical exposure is 1/125 at f-2

Having some experience with holography and holographic materials, I
can say with confidence that 400 lp/mm is pretty useless for
holography. Typically, you would want resolutions on the order of 2000
to 7000 lp/mm, depending on the geometry and type of hologram. It has
to be said, however, that both the exposure and processing
requirements are quite different for holographic usage compared to
general photography, and so are the resolution criteria and
definitions thereof.

The SO-xxx series of emulsions are Kodak emulsions. To the best of my
knowledge - and I investigated the matter pretty thoroughly about 6
years ago, Kodak has not manufactured any holographic materials for
some considerable time (about 20 years or so, if memory serves me
right). In the holography field, the technology leaders have
traditionally been Agfa Gevaert with their 8E75HD and 8E56HD emulsions
(they also had some lower resolution emulsions named 10E75 and 10E56).
Unfortunately, Agfa-Gevaert discontinued their holographic materials
in 1996. However, I believe they still manufacture make their
"Millimask" series of plates (the primary purpose is chip masking),
which according to tests we carried out is pretty much identical to
the 8E56HD emulsion. We have certainly used it successfully for
holography.

That particular emulsion is orthochromatic, has a resolution of at
least 5000 lp/mm, is only supplied on glass plates, and is pretty much
useless for general photography.

--
- Helge Nareid
Nordmann i utlendighet, Aberdeen, Scotland
Old January 24th 05, 02:44 PM
John

On Sat, 22 Jan 2005 21:49:31 GMT, "Nicholas O. Lindan"
wrote:

The aperture of the lens for maximum resolution is best ignored when doing
extreme resolution photography? This cat's from the moon.

I would have to that's being kind !

Regards,

John S. Douglas, Photographer - http://www.puresilver.org
Please remove the "_" when replying via email
Old January 24th 05, 02:50 PM
John

On Sun, 23 Jan 2005 12:07:48 -0600, "jjs" wrote:

"Neal" wrote in message
.. .

[...] huge exposure lattitude, sharp, contrasty.

Usually lattitude and contrasty are mutually exclusive.

But C41 films don't work the same as B-&-W materials. The
response seems to stay linear even with variation in exposure.

Old January 24th 05, 06:24 PM
Nicholas O. Lindan

Sources for holographic stuff, for all those with
7000 lp/mm lenses:
http://www.holokits.com/holographic_film_plates.htm

Everybody seems to be selling the same film, though:
http://www.slavich.com/

And, if you mix your own, formulas for holography
developer:
http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/holdev.html

One view on TP, GB & TMX:
http://www.imx.nl/photosite/technical/highres.html

[My results differed in that I found TP to be qualitatively
and quantitatively better than TMX.]

Google - the genius in everyone.

--
Nicholas O. Lindan, Cleveland, Ohio
To reply, remove spaces: n o lindan at ix . netcom . com
Old January 25th 05, 12:41 AM
John

On Mon, 24 Jan 2005 18:24:31 GMT, "Nicholas O. Lindan"
wrote:

One view on TP, GB & TMX:
http://www.imx.nl/photosite/technical/highres.html

Interesting. The author states "For very fine structures an
even finer pattern can be used, again on a glass plate, with a
chromium layer in which the patterns are etched."

Is this a Ronchi Ruling ?

http://www.edmundoptics.com/onlineca...productID=1831

[My results differed in that I found TP to be qualitatively
and quantitatively better than TMX.]

IMO each film has it's merits. Dedicating oneself to using a
singular emulsion for all usage is about like saying you will wear
construction boots to run in the Boston Marathon.

In general I agree with your comment about TMX v. TP though I
have to point out that i pulled to EI32 and developed in D23, TMX is
virtually indistinguishable.

Old January 25th 05, 06:58 PM

John Jan 24, 6:51 am show options
Newsgroups: rec.photo.darkroom
From: John - Find messages by this author
Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2005 08:51:22 -0600
Subject: sharpest film currently on the market?
original | Report Abuse

wrote:

For those who liked the discontinued Tech PAN? .....the Gigabit could

be an
option.
I like the film. Only 20 sec. fixing time in normal film strength
fixer.....one has to remember.

Get some Efke 25.

Ha. It's not nearly as sharp as Pan-F.