Drying FB Paper

Old February 24th 05, 08:56 PM
Lloyd Erlick

feb2405 from Lloyd Erlick,

no longer sure who wrote:
My biggest problem is when I get lint, dust, etc on the screens and I
don't notice until the prints are dry and the junk from the screen is
embedded in the emulsion of the print. I've ruined more prints then I
care to think about that way.

Yes, me too. That is one of the main reasons I scrapped
my drying screens. Filthy things. I prefer nothing to
touch my prints while they are wet.

regards,
--le
________________________________
Lloyd Erlick Portraits, Toronto.
voice: 416-686-0326
email:
net:
www.heylloyd.com
________________________________

Old February 24th 05, 09:00 PM
Lloyd Erlick

On Thu, 24 Feb 2005 20:24:54 GMT, Gregory Blank

I never use a blotter, so there's no blot on my record
or my prints :-)

& Yes that's what my squeegee gets used for,...not prints.

feb2405 from Lloyd Erlick,

Do you do windows??

regards,
--le
________________________________

Old February 24th 05, 09:03 PM
Lloyd Erlick

On Thu, 24 Feb 2005 21:40:00 +0100, Andrew Price
wrote:

On Thu, 24 Feb 2005 15:18:54 -0500, Lloyd Erlick Lloyd at @the-wire.
dot com wrote:

[---]

Chuck them now, before you use them, and they will
never, ever contaminate your prints. In fact, chuck
them before you buy them, and they will be even better.

Chuck your tongs, gloves and print drying screens, too.
Don't chuck the squeegee, though, it's still good for
cleaning the sink.

I know I've said this before, but I cannot but recommend the technical
article on your website on that subject. The phrase:

Drying Screens Get Out of Town If You Know What's Good for You, and
Take Squeegee With You, Too!

still makes me crack up, every time I read it !

feb2405 from Lloyd Erlick,

Thanks, that's the first time I've seen that quoted!

I was a little flippant there, I guess. Actually,
drying screens would make great sink scrubbers if a
little piece of the mesh is cut out and crumpled up in
the hands.

regards,
--le
________________________________

Old February 24th 05, 09:34 PM
Gregory Blank

Lloyd Erlick Lloyd at @the-wire. dot com wrote:

Do you do windows??

LOL ,.... no I prefer Mac's :-)

to the American public."--Theodore Roosevelt, May 7, 1918
Old February 24th 05, 09:43 PM
Lloyd Erlick

On Thu, 24 Feb 2005 21:34:05 GMT, Gregory Blank

Lloyd Erlick Lloyd at @the-wire. dot com wrote:

Do you do windows??

LOL ,.... no I prefer Mac's :-)

.... no hamburgers in the darkroom ...
Old February 24th 05, 11:48 PM

I can see only one way a hydrophobic blotter material
could coax any chemistry from a pre-screen dried but
still damp, flexable print; by contact transfer at the very
surface of the two materials.

If a print is entirely air dried, say on a screen, then those
minute amounts of chemistry remain in and on the surface
of the print. Would it not be better they be wisked away with
a blotter. An easily washable and/or disposable blotter, I'd think,
would contribute to the production of archival results.

Mr. Erlick in a recent post pointed us to information dealing
with the conservation of valueable papers. IIRC, blotters were
used in each and every case. Dan

Old February 25th 05, 12:50 AM
Nicholas O. Lindan

"Lloyd Erlick" Lloyd at @the-wire. dot com wrote

I was a little flippant there, I guess. Actually,
drying screens would make great sink scrubbers if a
little piece of the mesh is cut out and crumpled up in
the hands.

Hey, I found out they fit in these rails in my house's
window frames. Great for keeping bugs out in the summer...

--
Nicholas O. Lindan, Cleveland, Ohio
To reply, remove spaces: n o lindan at ix . netcom . com