Best Rolling Backpack with with laptop

Old October 29th 05, 10:02 PM
Bob Denton

Default Best Rolling Backpack with with laptop

I have a shoot in Eastern Europe coming up and I want to keep it light
and not check in any gear. At the same time, I will have lots of
flight changes, etc.

I will be taking the following gear:

2 D20s with battery grips
3 580 flash units
1 75-300
1 17-85
1 10-22
1 18-50
I 12" Lap top
I carbon Tripod
2 table top tripods
Chargers, power supplies, batteries, slaves, meters, GPS, etc, etc.

I have been looking at the Lowepro rolling cases but I can't tell if
the Road Runner has the capability to handle a laptop.

The compu treker looks good but I can't tell if there is room for all
my gear AND the laptop charger.

The case need to be able to fit in the 777 bins which seem smaller
than the typical US overheads.

Thanks

Bob Denton
Bob Denton
Gulf Stream International
Delray Beach, Florida
www.sinkthestink.com
Manufacturers of Sink the Stink
Old October 30th 05, 01:22 AM
Joan

Take care not to exceed the weight limit for carry-on baggage. It may vary
by airline. Qantas domestic and international has a carry-on weight limit
of 7kg (15lbs).

Think about not using the overhead lockers for this gear for 2 reasons:
1. Would you like it fall on your head?
2. Would you like it fall at all?

A colleague of mine flew from Auckland to Sydney last Monday night. The
landing was a bit rough and many of the overhead lockers opened and half of
the oxygen masks came down.

--
Joan

Old October 30th 05, 04:27 AM
Dogfart

On Sun, 30 Oct 2005, at 00:22:54 [GMT GMT] (11:22:54 Sunday, 30 October 2005
where I live) "Joan" wrote:

Take care not to exceed the weight limit for carry-on baggage. It may vary
by airline. Qantas domestic and international has a carry-on weight limit
of 7kg (15lbs).

In addition the size of the case, although suitable for US airlines, would
possibly need checking in as luggage in all other countries.

Old October 30th 05, 06:39 AM
Joseph Chamberlain, DDS

Bob:

I would either choose the Tamrac 692 Big Wheels Rolling StrongBox or the
Pelican 1510 case with internal padded dividers.

The Tamrac case has larger roller wheels that makes it easier to pull around
in all sorts of terrain. Since many cities in Europe have different types of
pavement (the stone brick type) the larger wheels make it easier to move it.
The case also has a large front padded pocket that is big enough even for a
17" notebook which is the one I use (I have one this model of Tamrac and
like it very much). The case's size is allowed as an airline carry on item.

Pelican's case is also allowed as an airline carry on in size. Should you
decide to buy this one I would highly recommend the one with the internal
padded dividers instead of the foam inserts. The foam inserts have to be cut
and once you do it, you are stuck with that arrangement. The padded dividers
allow you to change the arrangement of the items inside the case since the
dividers are attached to the case and to each other with velcro, allowing to
move them around.

The one thing in favor of Pelican's case is the fact that it is sealed with
a gasket around the case and the cover that makes it waterproof to about 30'
underwater. Since there are countries in Europe where it rains quite
frequently, I would consider this feature a benefit to protect your
equipment against damage by exposure to water. The case has a retractable
long handle and wheels that allow you to pull it around similar to the
Tamrac.

Neither of the 2 cases are backpacks. But I've found that when you are
carrying as much equipment as you describe here, the last thing in the world
you want to do is to have all this weight on your back for hours while
moving around. Your energy should be saved to enjoy the scenario of the
different cities you are visiting and to concentrate on your photo shoot.

Best regards,

Joseph

---

Dr. Joseph Chamberlain
Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery

On 10/29/05 2:02 PM, in article ,

Old October 30th 05, 07:02 AM
Dogfart

On Sun, 30 Oct 2005, at 06:39:32 [GMT GMT] (17:39:32 Sunday, 30 October 2005
where I live) "Joseph Chamberlain, DDS" wrote:

Pelican's case is also allowed as an airline carry on in size.

You should note that "carry on size" is usually larger in USA than other
airlines in Europe / Asia / Australasia etc., so you may want to take this
into account.

As well, these carry on sizes may be strictly enforced, subject to
individual airline policy, and wether or not the check in clerk had a bowel
movement that day.

Of course, YMMV!

Old October 30th 05, 09:30 PM
Bob Denton

On Sun, 30 Oct 2005 00:22:54 GMT, "Joan" wrote:

Take care not to exceed the weight limit for carry-on baggage. It may vary
by airline. Qantas domestic and international has a carry-on weight limit
of 7kg (15lbs).

Think about not using the overhead lockers for this gear for 2 reasons:
1. Would you like it fall on your head?
2. Would you like it fall at all?

A colleague of mine flew from Auckland to Sydney last Monday night. The
landing was a bit rough and many of the overhead lockers opened and half of
the oxygen masks came down.

Thanks for the tip but I do around 150K miles a year and have never
had anything fall on my head!

Cya!
Bob Denton
Blue Ridge Art & Graphics
www.blueridge-signs.com
Old October 30th 05, 09:48 PM
Bob Denton

On Sun, 30 Oct 2005 06:39:32 GMT, "Joseph Chamberlain, DDS"
wrote:

[...]

I have looked at both of those options, but there are issues with
having a case that has to be rolled all the time. The Pelican empty
weighs 15lbs

No problem in airports but the sidewalks where I am headed are covered
with dog poop, and rolling isn't a good option.

One option woulld be to pack my non rolling case into a standard roll
on case but accessing the laptop and charger during flight is a pia.

As for carry on limits, I usually fly business or first calss so the
weight limits are a bit more liberal. I have never had issue with
carry on baggage on various European and Asian carriers.

So I guess what I need to know is will the Lowepro road runner handle
a lap top or is the compu treker big enough?

Cya!
Bob Denton
Blue Ridge Art & Graphics
www.blueridge-signs.com
Old October 31st 05, 05:19 AM
Bill Funk

wrote:

[...]

Well, how big is your laptop?
The Roadrunner is he
http://www.lowepro.com/Products/Back..._Patented.aspx
The trekker is he
http://www.lowepro.com/Products/Back...rekker_AW.aspx

Check the specs, and determine if either is big enough.

--
Bill Funk
Replace "g" with "a"