[SI] "S" is available for viewing!

Old July 26th 11, 12:15 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Bowser

Default [SI] "S" is available for viewing!

Some Super Shots can be seen he

http://www.pbase.com/shootin/letter_s

For those of you who have not yet contributed to the Shoot-In, Shame!
The Shoot-In is a monthly (kinda sorta) exercise where a mandate is
selected and we all try to shoot something based on the mandate. No
prizes, rewards, just some very good entertainment, and, hopefully, some
comments.

For more info about the Shoot-In, please visit the rulz page and take a
look. The next mandate will be posted by the end of the week. And yes,
time for a summer rerun.

http://www.pbase.com/shootin/rulzpage
Old July 26th 11, 01:53 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2011-07-25 16:15:04 -0700, Bowser said:

Some Super Shots can be seen he

http://www.pbase.com/shootin/letter_s

For those of you who have not yet contributed to the Shoot-In, Shame!
The Shoot-In is a monthly (kinda sorta) exercise where a mandate is
selected and we all try to shoot something based on the mandate. No
prizes, rewards, just some very good entertainment, and, hopefully,
some comments.

For more info about the Shoot-In, please visit the rulz page and take a
look. The next mandate will be posted by the end of the week. And yes,
time for a summer rerun.

http://www.pbase.com/shootin/rulzpage

OK!
Not a bad turn out with some interesting submissions, and a question or two.

The first of those questions is, "who is the contributor of IMG_4879.JPG?"
I am sure IMG_4879.JPG was meant to be titled "Soaring Seagull" and if
so titled it would meet the mandate.
IMG_7205.JPG requires some imagination to make a match with the
mandate. Here are some suggestions; "Seasick Stimulus"? "Silly Sailors
on Small Boat"? "Starboard is on The Other Side"? "Seaworthy?"

Bob Coe:
#1, a stagecoach, now there is an "S"!
#2, "Sailboats & Suspension Bridge" a twofer.
#3, OK! OK! I get it "Seaport".

Martha Coe:
#1, "Stone Wall" nice idea, but I think it might have worked better in
"landscape" orientation.
#2, "Sophie's Shells"
#3, Nice "Skeleton". BTW The Northern Right Whale remains very
endangered, however the Southern Right Whale is making a comeback with
some of the biggest migration populations to be found just up the east
coast of South Africa from Cape Town. So much so, they give the local
sailors a hard time if they get too close.
http://tinyurl.com/3xv8bo5

Mystery contributor #2:
S-GZ, Nice "Sunset at the Marina", interesting reflections.

Savageduck (Yours Truly):
S-01, We have a migrant population of Elephant Seals at Piedras
Blancas, and at this time of the year there are still quite a few who
have given up on the migration, and have established permanent
residence. They just laze around and slough of old skin during this the
molt season.
S-02, My "S" stretch with "Sur, Big Sur" a bit of a cliche shot, but I
worked an "S" in there.
S-03, It's a "Startled Squirrel". The guy posed, I shot, what more
could I need for an "S"?

Tony Cooper:
Sandhill Crane, Nice. Did you shoot this one locally, or did you take a
quick drive to the Platte River?
Squirrel Snack 2, Nice B&W conversion. I particularly like the glass.
Squirrel Snack, Now that one is a little busy for me.

Otter:
Shaky Skaters, I like the group along with the interlaced shadows.
Skating Rink, Impressive Mall.
Sky Light, good idea with just a hint of barrel distortion.

Frank Ess:
Saguaro A_4723, good idea, but there seem to be some focus issues.
Saguaro C_4748, Nice, just caught the light right.
Saguaro Old_4723 (4723 twice!!) again, nicely lit, with the bonus of bees.

Irwell:
Sadness, good capture of a cast frieze. My question is two part, Who is
the foreground, out of period character? and Where is this located?
Sidewalkshadows, Interesting perspective.

Pete Attkins:
Seafront Storage, There you go Pete, it is good to get out and about. Nice.
Sebarok, sneaking out in the evening again? Those container ships get
big don't they?
Sukama, Always nice to see a squared away sailboat.

Tim Conway:
Sprinkler, Nice interplay with light, spray, & shadows.
Swans (snubbing the surly geese), Perhaps some sort of tighter crop to
isolate the swans.

Bowser:
S_1, Sand, Seagull, sea, More sand, & Sunshine, what more would you want.
S_2, Sign, & Street Lamp, So now we know the purpose of that notorious
ferry trip.
S_3, Statues, I am surprised we didn't have more statue submissions. (I
am not impressed with the wishy-washy plaster work)

Peter Newman:
Soldier/strawberry, I like the concept, but it seems a tooth was not on
the same page as you and your process.
Steeple Chase, A light and color spiral. Interesting.
Strings, You Dirty Old Man you! ;-)

Once again, thanks to all who played, including the mystery photographers.

Savageduck

Old July 26th 11, 02:16 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Dudley Hanks[_4_]

Some Super Shots can be seen he

http://www.pbase.com/shootin/letter_s

For those of you who have not yet contributed to the Shoot-In, Shame!

Sorry, I was holding out for a shot of Superman, but his schedule was so
solidly stacked he couldn't slip in until sometime after the 27th...

Sorry, so sorry...

Old July 26th 11, 02:38 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Allen[_3_]

On 7/25/2011 6:15 PM, Bowser wrote:
Some Super Shots can be seen he

http://www.pbase.com/shootin/letter_s

For those of you who have not yet contributed to the Shoot-In, Shame!
The Shoot-In is a monthly (kinda sorta) exercise where a mandate is
selected and we all try to shoot something based on the mandate. No
prizes, rewards, just some very good entertainment, and, hopefully, some
comments.

For more info about the Shoot-In, please visit the rulz page and take a
look. The next mandate will be posted by the end of the week. And yes,
time for a summer rerun.

http://www.pbase.com/shootin/rulzpage

Will we see the top half of "Strings" when the subject is the letter "T"?
Allen
Old July 26th 11, 02:58 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Tony Cooper

On Mon, 25 Jul 2011 17:53:21 -0700, Savageduck
wrote:

Tony Cooper:
Sandhill Crane, Nice. Did you shoot this one locally, or did you take a
quick drive to the Platte River?

About 100 yards from my front door on the golf course.

Squirrel Snack 2, Nice B&W conversion. I particularly like the glass.

This one was even closer. About 4 yards from my back door. I built
that feeder after seeing one somewhere else.

Squirrel Snack, Now that one is a little busy for me.

True, but you shoot the scene as it is. I saw no way to crop it
without losing the concept of the squirrel stealing nuts.

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
Old July 26th 11, 03:19 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
irwell

On 2011-07-25 16:15:04 -0700, Bowser said:

Some Super Shots can be seen he

http://www.pbase.com/shootin/letter_s

Irwell:
Sadness, good capture of a cast frieze. My question is two part, Who is
the foreground, out of period character? and Where is this located?

It is a bronze casting at the base of a large statue in St.Pancras Station,
London, the castings depict events that have taken place over the years
in this area. I shall try to get more information on the artist and
the motif.
Sidewalkshadows, Interesting perspective.

Thanks, the photo was taken in Paris looking over a bridge
on the Seine River.
The camera used is a Ricoh CX3.
Old July 26th 11, 03:35 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
irwell

On 2011-07-25 16:15:04 -0700, Bowser said:

Some Super Shots can be seen he

http://www.pbase.com/shootin/letter_s

Irwell:
Sadness, good capture of a cast frieze. My question is two part, Who is
the foreground, out of period character? and Where is this located?

It is a bronze casting at the base of a large statue in St.Pancras Station,
London, the castings depict events that have taken place over the years
in this area. I shall try to get more information on the artist and
the motif.

The artist who did the sculptures has a very interesting website
http://www.pauldaysculpture.com/home.html that shows the huge
statue being hoisted in position at the station forecourt.

Most recently a high-relief frieze has been added to the base of the
Meeting Place sculpture, featuring images from the history of the Tube and
train: people queuing on platforms or travelling in carriages; soldiers
departing for war and returning injured, and repair works following the 7
July 2005 London bombings. The work was the object of controversy when
first erected, as one panel depicted a commuter falling into the path of a
train driven by the Grim Reaper. However, following discussions with London
and Continental Railways (LCR), this panel was replaced with another. [3]
[4]

Paul Day studied art at art schools in the United Kingdom at Colchester and
Dartington, completing his training at Cheltenham in 1991. He now lives in
a village near Dijon in France, with his wife, Catherine, a native of
France. Their Anglo-French relationship is an explicit and repetitive
reference in his works. The Meeting Place, which is modelled on an embrace
between Paul and Catherine, standing as a metaphor for St. Pancras's role
as the terminus of the rail link between England and France.[1][5]
Old July 26th 11, 03:54 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Paul Furman

Bowser wrote:
Some Super Shots can be seen he

http://www.pbase.com/shootin/letter_s

Great set! Nice to see a couple new 'faces' and returning folks we
haven't seen in a while.
I got satisfaction specifically surveying the seashells, skeleton,
scruptious sailboat sunset, shedding seal, stunning sandhill,
scintillating skater swirl, saguaro sex, saturated seafront storage,
stimulating sidewalk shadows, surreal seagull, sculptures,
singulo-chormatic soldier stealing a succulent strawberry and the
sensuous strings!
Old July 26th 11, 04:05 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2011-07-25 16:15:04 -0700, Bowser said:

[...]

That is interesting. Your information drove me to Google for more. The
thing about the frieze scene you show in your image, is the apparent
time conflict between the medieval monks in the background and the
foreground male in what seems to be 19th, or 20th century garb. It
seems to be making the connection with the original 4th century church
which gave the district its name and the industrial revolution.
Paul day seems to aim at the controversial.

Savageduck

Old July 26th 11, 04:27 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Robert Coe

:
: http://www.pbase.com/shootin/letter_s
:
: For those of you who have not yet contributed to the Shoot-In, Shame!
: The Shoot-In is a monthly (kinda sorta) exercise where a mandate is
: selected and we all try to shoot something based on the mandate. No
: prizes, rewards, just some very good entertainment, and, hopefully, some
: comments.
:
: For more info about the Shoot-In, please visit the rulz page and take a
: look. The next mandate will be posted by the end of the week. And yes,
: time for a summer rerun.
:
: http://www.pbase.com/shootin/rulzpage

A very nice set of pictures this month! Some are among the best we've seen for
some time. Congratulations to all!

Bob & Martha