Colonial Photo & Hobby

Old April 14th 14, 07:30 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Sandman

Default Colonial Photo & Hobby

From recommendation from Tony, I went to Colonial Photo and Hobby, just to
check it out. Was a really small store with one half hobby and the other
photo-related stuff. Pretty cramped, but really nice british salesman that
I talked to.

Prices weren't really good though, and they had a very small number of
cameras on the shelves, so hard to browse around really. No one there had
any knowledge or experience with the Sony A7 so I wasn't able to get good
feedback, but since the prices weren't better than in Sweden, I suppose
that's ok.

--
Sandman[.net]
Old April 15th 14, 03:10 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Tony Cooper
wrote:

Again, I don't know what you are used to. At Best Buy, they have a
lot of cameras on open shelves with security cables.

often without batteries (or dead ones) and possibly without a lens.
it's a crapshoot there.
Old April 15th 14, 03:36 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Sandman

In article , Tony Cooper wrote:

Sandman:
Prices weren't really good though, and they had a very small
number of cameras on the shelves, so hard to browse around really.

Small number of cameras?

Yeah.

I don't know what stores you're used to, but I don't think their
selection is "small".

Uh, ok?

They are primarily into Nikon and Canon, but that's the market here.
Between the two camera clubs I belong to, I know of only two people who
shoot with a Sony, and I don't know what models they have.

Uhm... Ok?

Again, I don't know what you are used to. At Best Buy, they have a
lot of cameras on open shelves with security cables.

I went to Best Buy the other day, their camera section was also very tiny.
I don't mind the security cables though.

You can handle the cameras without sales assistance at Best Buy. At
Colonial, all the cameras are behind the counter or in the counter
showcase, so you have to have a sales person bring them out if you want
to handle them.

Which I did.

Someone who is used to stores like Adorama or B&H would consider
Colonial to be pretty dinky, but compared to the other stores in the
Central Florida area they are respectable enough in size and
selection. Had I sent you to Harmon Photo (the other store in
town), you would have thought Colonial to be huge in comparison.

Colonial is, to me, a pretty small store though.

Sandman:
No one there had any knowledge or experience with the Sony A7

Frank shoots Nikon.

I don't care about Frank. I thought it as sad that such a small store
didn't have more hands-on knowledge about the products, which is otherwise
something of a defining trait of these store, and usually a great argument
to visit them.

Sandman:
so I wasn't able to get good feedback, but since the prices
weren't better than in Sweden, I suppose that's ok.

Colonial isn't noted for competitive pricing.

They had the exact same prices as Best Buy. But that's more SOny
price-fixing than competition being hard.

--
Sandman[.net]
Old April 15th 14, 03:36 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Sandman

In article , nospam wrote:

Tony Cooper:
Again, I don't know what you are used to. At Best Buy, they have
a lot of cameras on open shelves with security cables.

often without batteries (or dead ones) and possibly without a lens.
it's a crapshoot there.

Indeed, Best Buy was really crappy.

--
Sandman[.net]
Old April 15th 14, 03:42 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Tony Cooper
wrote:

Again, I don't know what you are used to. At Best Buy, they have a
lot of cameras on open shelves with security cables.

often without batteries (or dead ones) and possibly without a lens.
it's a crapshoot there.

I haven't paid close attention, but I don't recall ever seeing a dslr
on the counter at Best Buy without a lens.

i have on numerous occasions. not always, but often enough to where it
can be a problem.

i played with a d7000 for about 10-15 minutes without a lens. it wasn't
a big deal since i could check out the various menus and how it felt in
the hand.

Your Best Buy may be differently managed. I don't project what the
Best Buy is like in my area to all areas. You are free to, though.

having seen this occur in more than just one best buy as well as
compusa when they were around, it's safe to say it is not a rare
occurrence.

I think, based on a comment by you some time ago, I did check a Best
Buy and found one of 24 that wouldn't turn on and reported that
information here. I wouldn't call that "often".

you think wrong.

If I was in the market for a new camera, especially a point & shoot, I
would go to Best Buy first. Not to buy, but to handle each model.
Some cameras just don't feel right in my hand or have controls that
are difficult to navigate.

I would rather do this at Best Buy than at a camera store. First, I
can pick up any camera without having the sales person bring it out.
Second, I don't take up the time of a salesman who I don't intend to
buy from.

i don't go out of my way to go to a best buy, but sometimes i stop
there to try out various products. as you say, it can be done without
bothering salespeople (although they keep asking if you need
assistance).
Old April 15th 14, 05:07 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

On 14 Apr 2014 18:30:42 GMT, Sandman wrote:

From recommendation from Tony, I went to Colonial Photo and Hobby, just to
check it out. Was a really small store with one half hobby and the other
photo-related stuff. Pretty cramped, but really nice british salesman that
I talked to.

Here is their web site. It gives some idea of their size.
http://www.colonialphotohobby.com/index.htm

Old April 15th 14, 06:50 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Tony Cooper
wrote:

I think, based on a comment by you some time ago, I did check a Best
Buy and found one of 24 that wouldn't turn on and reported that
information here. I wouldn't call that "often".

you think wrong.

Well, you consider 4-point-something percent of the display models to
be without a battery to be enough to be "often", so that shows your
aptitude in assessing a problem. It does cast doubt on your use of
"numerous", though.

where did you come up with 4.something% ? oh yea, your ass.
Old April 15th 14, 10:08 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

On Tue, 15 Apr 2014 01:50:35 -0400, nospam
wrote:

In article , Tony Cooper
wrote:

I think, based on a comment by you some time ago, I did check a Best
Buy and found one of 24 that wouldn't turn on and reported that
information here. I wouldn't call that "often".

you think wrong.

Well, you consider 4-point-something percent of the display models to
be without a battery to be enough to be "often", so that shows your
aptitude in assessing a problem. It does cast doubt on your use of
"numerous", though.

where did you come up with 4.something% ? oh yea, your ass.

One divided by 24 = 0.0417 = 4.17%

Eric Stevens
Old April 15th 14, 01:31 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Sandman

In article , Tony Cooper wrote:

Tony Cooper:
I think, based on a comment by you some time ago, I did
check a Best Buy and found one of 24 that wouldn't turn on
and reported that information here. I wouldn't call that
"often".

nospam:
you think wrong.

Tony Cooper:
Well, you consider 4-point-something percent of the display
models to be without a battery to be enough to be "often", so
that shows your aptitude in assessing a problem. It does cast
doubt on your use of "numerous", though.

nospam:
where did you come up with 4.something% ? oh yea, your ass.

24 cameras on display, 1 non-working (presumably w/o battery)
4.something percent non-working. An even 4% would be less than one
unit.

Ironic that you should talk about problem-assesing when your number is
based on one visit to one store.

It's right up above. You need to download an app to do the math?

And classic troll insults.

--
Sandman[.net]
Old April 15th 14, 01:32 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Sandman

In article , Eric Stevens wrote:

Sandman:
From recommendation from Tony, I went to Colonial Photo and Hobby,
just to check it out. Was a really small store with one half hobby
and the other photo-related stuff. Pretty cramped, but really nice
british salesman that I talked to.

Here is their web site. It gives some idea of their size.
http://www.colonialphotohobby.com/index.htm

Uh, yeah? I was there, remember? It was a tiny store. Why is this a problem
for you? Do you have some form of pride invested into the size of this
store? Why? What's it to you?

--
Sandman[.net]