"Shoot In" Permanently Gone?

Old March 26th 14, 07:37 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

Default "Shoot In" Permanently Gone?

On 2014-03-26 18:46:13 +0000, George Kerby said:

On 3/26/14 8:56 AM, in article
2014032606561517709-savageduck1@REMOVESPAMmecom, "Savageduck"

On 2014-03-26 13:43:45 +0000, Whisky-dave said:

On Tuesday, 25 March 2014 19:51:46 UTC, George Kerby wrote:

Le Snip
Lately it seems like one needs an asbestos suit in here...

But just think of teh H&S implications of such a thijng doubt I'd want
to be in a NG where someones walking around in an asbestos suit have
you never heard of mesothelioma.

Nomex.

In California?!?

R-I-I-G-G-H-H-H-T!!!

In any firehouse, wild fire line, military flight suit, or auto
racetrack, you will find yourself up to your short & curlies in Nomex,
even in California.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nomex

Savageduck

Old March 27th 14, 07:41 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
George Kerby

On 3/26/14 2:37 PM, in article
2014032612373886357-savageduck1@REMOVESPAMmecom, "Savageduck"

On 2014-03-26 13:43:45 +0000, Whisky-dave said:

On Tuesday, 25 March 2014 19:51:46 UTC, George Kerby wrote:
Le Snip
Lately it seems like one needs an asbestos suit in here...

But just think of teh H&S implications of such a thijng doubt I'd want
to be in a NG where someones walking around in an asbestos suit have
you never heard of mesothelioma.

Nomex.

In California?!?

R-I-I-G-G-H-H-H-T!!!

In any firehouse, wild fire line, military flight suit, or auto
racetrack, you will find yourself up to your short & curlies in Nomex,
even in California.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nomex

I guess I was a little too subtle on that one.

http://morallowground.com/wp-content...t-crossing-sig
n1-e1341717794264.jpg

Old March 27th 14, 09:03 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2014-03-26 13:43:45 +0000, Whisky-dave said:

On Tuesday, 25 March 2014 19:51:46 UTC, George Kerby wrote:
Le Snip
Lately it seems like one needs an asbestos suit in here...

But just think of teh H&S implications of such a thijng doubt I'd want
to be in a NG where someones walking around in an asbestos suit have
you never heard of mesothelioma.

Nomex.

In California?!?

R-I-I-G-G-H-H-H-T!!!

In any firehouse, wild fire line, military flight suit, or auto
racetrack, you will find yourself up to your short & curlies in Nomex,
even in California.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nomex

I guess I was a little too subtle on that one.

http://morallowground.com/wp-content...t-crossing-sig
n1-e1341717794264.jpg

Oh! All that sign indicates is, targets ahead.

....but in the catch and release program, if they make it across twice
without being hit they are allowed to pick lettuce for one season.

Savageduck

Old March 28th 14, 02:37 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
George Kerby

On 3/27/14 4:03 PM, in article
2014032714033164947-savageduck1@REMOVESPAMmecom, "Savageduck"

On 2014-03-26 13:43:45 +0000, Whisky-dave said:

[...]

The rules are rules...

Old April 3rd 14, 10:23 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

On 2014-03-26 13:43:45 +0000, Whisky-dave said:

On Tuesday, 25 March 2014 19:51:46 UTC, George Kerby wrote:
Le Snip
Lately it seems like one needs an asbestos suit in here...

But just think of teh H&S implications of such a thijng doubt I'd want
to be in a NG where someones walking around in an asbestos suit have
you never heard of mesothelioma.

Nomex.

In California?!?

R-I-I-G-G-H-H-H-T!!!

In any firehouse, wild fire line, military flight suit, or auto
racetrack, you will find yourself up to your short & curlies in Nomex,
even in California.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nomex

I guess I was a little too subtle on that one.

http://morallowground.com/wp-content/uploads/illegal-immigrant-crossing-sign1-e1341717794264.jpg

Cats use the same technique to cross roads.

Eric Stevens
Old April 6th 14, 08:29 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Robert Coe

On Mon, 24 Mar 2014 17:13:48 -0700, Savageduck
wrote:
: On 2014-03-24 22:19:10 +0000, Eric Stevens said:
:
: On Mon, 24 Mar 2014 12:59:13 -0400, Tony Cooper
: wrote:
:
: On 24 Mar 2014 15:39:12 GMT, Sandman wrote:
:
: In article , Tony Cooper wrote:
:
: John Turco:
: Hello, all:
:
: I'm aware of the recent demise of the "Shoot In" (after
: roughly 10 years of existence). Will it be replaced or
: resurrected, anytime soon?
:
: Just wondering!
:
: (Note: I never entered the Shoot In.)
:
: John
:
: PeterN:
: We need someone willing to organize and run it. The last two
: folks were quite good, but it really takes time and dedication.
: It also takes active participation, where members of the group
: are willing to submit, and give honest comments,
:
: Sandman:
: Hmmm, I could probably set up a neat web page with galleries for
: each theme, and the possibility for comments that get autoposted
: to rpd in a summary.
:
: The "Shoot-In" died because of lack of participation, not a need for
: a host site. Not enough people submitted images, and very few
: comments were made about the images that were submitted.
:
: Yeah, that may be true. Maybe the disconnect between usenet/web made it
: awkward to comment? Maybe you could have added a rating system to it?
:
: The idea that popped up in my mind was that the gallery would have a
: comment and rating function, and you could auto-submit the comments and/or
: ratings to rpd directly from the site, so you'd get a post with the subject
: "Comments from Tony Cooper" and then each and every comment had the photo
: name and a link to it along with any rating as well.
:
: That would be a better system. Much better. When comments did
: appear, they were in several threads and posts, and it was difficult
: to relate the comment to the image.
:
: I dunno that we want ratings, though. Just comments. The idea wasn't
: to have a "winner". It was to provide a showcase for images. A
: competitive aspect might not be welcome.
:
: The Shoot-Ins used a theme or mandate. That was good, in my opinion,
: because it got people to look for shots that fit the mandate and not
: just link to some archive shot.
:
: Being old and less than mobile while they keep whittling skin cancers
: out of my legs, I found the requirement that the shots be taken during
: the period of the mandate quite off-putting. On the other hand, I have
: had archive shots which fitted the bill. Is the object the shot, or is
: it the whole task of being sent out to get a particular shot?
:
: The idea was for the shot to meet the mandate, with the expectation
: that one would be shooting to meet that mandate. Usually submitting
: archive shots which met the mandate could be acceptable, but they
: should be labeled to indicate that they were archive shots. usually
: using the following labeling convention:
: {SI Mandate}-{Shooter Nym}-{Shot #}-{Old}

There was a certain confessional aspect to that naming convention, since it
was really unnecessary: every shot was displayed with the date it was taken
anyway, extracted from the Exif data.

Sometimes I'd be too busy to go out shooting and would slip in pictures I had
taken for work. (Some of them were even a reasonable match for the mandate.)
It was either that or send in nothing, and Martha and I both wanted to
contribute whenever we could.

Bob