"Shoot In" Permanently Gone?

Old March 24th 14, 10:19 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

Default "Shoot In" Permanently Gone?

On Mon, 24 Mar 2014 12:59:13 -0400, Tony Cooper
wrote:

On 24 Mar 2014 15:39:12 GMT, Sandman wrote:

In article , Tony Cooper wrote:

John Turco:
Hello, all:

I'm aware of the recent demise of the "Shoot In" (after
roughly 10 years of existence). Will it be replaced or
resurrected, anytime soon?

Just wondering!

(Note: I never entered the Shoot In.)

John

PeterN:
We need someone willing to organize and run it. The last two
folks were quite good, but it really takes time and dedication.
It also takes active participation, where members of the group
are willing to submit, and give honest comments,

Sandman:
Hmmm, I could probably set up a neat web page with galleries for
each theme, and the possibility for comments that get autoposted
to rpd in a summary.

The "Shoot-In" died because of lack of participation, not a need for
a host site. Not enough people submitted images, and very few
comments were made about the images that were submitted.

Yeah, that may be true. Maybe the disconnect between usenet/web made it
awkward to comment? Maybe you could have added a rating system to it?

The idea that popped up in my mind was that the gallery would have a
comment and rating function, and you could auto-submit the comments and/or
ratings to rpd directly from the site, so you'd get a post with the subject
"Comments from Tony Cooper" and then each and every comment had the photo
name and a link to it along with any rating as well.

That would be a better system. Much better. When comments did
appear, they were in several threads and posts, and it was difficult
to relate the comment to the image.

I dunno that we want ratings, though. Just comments. The idea wasn't
to have a "winner". It was to provide a showcase for images. A
competitive aspect might not be welcome.

The Shoot-Ins used a theme or mandate. That was good, in my opinion,
because it got people to look for shots that fit the mandate and not
just link to some archive shot.

Being old and less than mobile while they keep whittling skin cancers
out of my legs, I found the requirement that the shots be taken during
the period of the mandate quite off-putting. On the other hand, I have
had archive shots which fitted the bill. Is the object the shot, or is
it the whole task of being sent out to get a particular shot?

But yeah, perhaps participation wouldn't increase, really

Don't know until it's tried.

Eric Stevens
Old March 24th 14, 11:16 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_4_]

On 3/24/2014 6:52 PM, Tony Cooper wrote:

wrote:

The Shoot-Ins used a theme or mandate. That was good, in my opinion,
because it got people to look for shots that fit the mandate and not
just link to some archive shot.

Being old and less than mobile while they keep whittling skin cancers
out of my legs, I found the requirement that the shots be taken during
the period of the mandate quite off-putting. On the other hand, I have
had archive shots which fitted the bill. Is the object the shot, or is
it the whole task of being sent out to get a particular shot?

I think determining the objective is up to the individual. If you
want to participate, but can't get out to shoot fresh, I certainly
wouldn't have a problem with that. I'm going to shoot fresh because
it pleases me to do so.

While I like the concept of a mandate, there were lots of times where i
could not motivate myself to shoot to the mandate. In those cases, I
submitted archive shots and received some interesting comments. It was
considered OK to submit archive shots, provided they were labeled as such.

--
PeterN
Old March 25th 14, 12:13 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

wrote:

[...]

The idea was for the shot to meet the mandate, with the expectation
that one would be shooting to meet that mandate. Usually submitting
archive shots which met the mandate could be acceptable, but they
should be labeled to indicate that they were archive shots. usually
using the following labeling convention:
{SI Mandate}-{Shooter Nym}-{Shot #}-{Old}

Unless the particular mandate specifically excludes archive shots.

But yeah, perhaps participation wouldn't increase, really

Don't know until it's tried.

Savageduck

Old March 25th 14, 06:08 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Sandman

In article 2014032413000350124-savageduck1@REMOVESPAMmecom, Savageduck wrote:

Savageduck:
That sounds very much like the sort of participation, rating,
and comments found in the Google+ photography circles along with
their various photo challenges.

Sandman:
Which, I take it, is not something you'd endorse

Alan Browne, Paul Furman, and I have G+ accounts and explored the
practicality of setting up an SI type thing there, about 3-4 years
ago. The possibility exists by setting up a dedicated SI Circle, but
there seemed to be even less enthusiasm among the original
rec.photo.equipment.35mm SI participants for G+ than there was in
the last year.

The other thing was a G+ version of the SI had the potential for
becoming cluttered very quickly. That was back when G+ had just
started up, it might be possible to put something a bit more refined
together there now.

G+ Photography circles already has several theme based weekly
exercises.

Right, but that would move it *to* G+, including the comments. I wasn't
suggesting using an existing web-based network only. I was thinking about a
system that use the web for convenience, but puts the content right back on
usenet. See my other post to Tony for examples.

--
Sandman[.net]
Old March 25th 14, 07:47 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
John Turco

On 3/23/2014 7:46 PM, PeterN wrote:
On 3/23/2014 8:23 PM, John Turco wrote:
Hello, all:

I'm aware of the recent demise of the "Shoot In" (after roughly 10
years of existence). Will it be replaced or resurrected, anytime
soon?

Just wondering!

(Note: I never entered the Shoot In.)

John

We need someone willing to organize and run it. The last two folks were
quite good, but it really takes time and dedication. It also takes
active participation, where members of the group are willing to submit,
and give honest comments,

Oh, well...I started an on-topic subject thread, at least! It's been
free of the various flame wars, that often plague this newsgroup.

John
Old March 25th 14, 07:51 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
George Kerby

On 3/25/14 2:47 PM, in article , "John Turco"
wrote:

On 3/23/2014 7:46 PM, PeterN wrote:
On 3/23/2014 8:23 PM, John Turco wrote:
Hello, all:

I'm aware of the recent demise of the "Shoot In" (after roughly 10
years of existence). Will it be replaced or resurrected, anytime
soon?

Just wondering!

(Note: I never entered the Shoot In.)

John

We need someone willing to organize and run it. The last two folks were
quite good, but it really takes time and dedication. It also takes
active participation, where members of the group are willing to submit,
and give honest comments,

Oh, well...I started an on-topic subject thread, at least! It's been
free of the various flame wars, that often plague this newsgroup.

John

THAT is some kind of record!!!

Lately it seems like one needs an asbestos suit in here...

;-)

Old March 25th 14, 08:22 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Tim Conway[_2_]

wrote:

[...]

I agree. My health isn't what it used to be and occasionally I have archive
shots that fit the mandate but don't feel up to going out to photograph
anything.
Anyway, my opinion is that that is what stock photography is all
about---matching archive photos up with a given subject/client.

Old March 26th 14, 01:56 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2014-03-26 13:43:45 +0000, Whisky-dave said:

On Tuesday, 25 March 2014 19:51:46 UTC, George Kerby wrote:

Le Snip
Lately it seems like one needs an asbestos suit in here...

But just think of teh H&S implications of such a thijng doubt I'd want
to be in a NG where someones walking around in an asbestos suit have
you never heard of mesothelioma.

Nomex.

Savageduck

Old March 26th 14, 06:46 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
George Kerby

On 3/26/14 8:56 AM, in article
2014032606561517709-savageduck1@REMOVESPAMmecom, "Savageduck"

On 2014-03-26 13:43:45 +0000, Whisky-dave said:

On Tuesday, 25 March 2014 19:51:46 UTC, George Kerby wrote:

Le Snip
Lately it seems like one needs an asbestos suit in here...

But just think of teh H&S implications of such a thijng doubt I'd want
to be in a NG where someones walking around in an asbestos suit have
you never heard of mesothelioma.

Nomex.

In California?!?

R-I-I-G-G-H-H-H-T!!!