Magic Bullet

Old December 6th 05, 01:47 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format

Default Magic Bullet

This is an excellent article and food for thought for the newbie and
seasoned LF photographer.

http://www.largeformatphotography.in...ic-bullet.html
to the American public."--Theodore Roosevelt, May 7, 1918

www.gregblankphoto(dot)com
Old December 6th 05, 06:39 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format

An interesting link Gregory,
I suspect many of us have looked for the so called `MAGIC BULLET` through
our early days of photography by following what our chosen Guru or Guru`s
used. How right the author is about looking at our own photographic
technique before blaming our cameras, lenses, films, chemicals etc.
It`s how the films are exposed, processed and printed along with control of
many other variables that count.
Thanks for the link.

to the American public."--Theodore Roosevelt, May 7, 1918

www.gregblankphoto(dot)com

Old December 8th 05, 03:02 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format

"Gregory Blank" wrote in message
This is an excellent article and food for thought for the newbie and
seasoned LF photographer.

http://www.largeformatphotography.in...ic-bullet.html

Chasing the magic bullet isn't all bad, if one is taking lots of photos
along the way.
The magic bullet I'm looking for is the quality of 4x5 with the ease of
35mm...haven't found it, have you? ;-)

Matt Clara
www.mattclara.com

Old December 8th 05, 03:27 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format

In article ,
"Matt Clara" wrote:

"Gregory Blank" wrote in message
This is an excellent article and food for thought for the newbie and
seasoned LF photographer.

http://www.largeformatphotography.in...ic-bullet.html

Chasing the magic bullet isn't all bad, if one is taking lots of photos
along the way.
The magic bullet I'm looking for is the quality of 4x5 with the ease of
35mm...haven't found it, have you? ;-)

Not yet, a good roll film back might do the trick though
and perhaps a straight line viewing hood to do away with the
dark cloth.
to the American public."--Theodore Roosevelt, May 7, 1918

www.gregblankphoto(dot)com
Old December 8th 05, 03:39 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format

"Matt Clara" wrote\

The magic bullet I'm looking for is the quality of 4x5 with the ease of
35mm...haven't found it, have you? ;-)

It is no mystery:

Technical Pan, Technidol, Micro-Nikkor/Summicron, tripod, bracket exposures,
25A & polarizer.

There are replacements for the TP/TD, I haven't tried them yet
as my freezer is still chock full of the old stuff.

--
Nicholas O. Lindan, Cleveland, Ohio
To reply, remove spaces: n o lindan at ix . netcom . com
Old December 8th 05, 05:42 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format

There is no such thing. 35mm cannot ever equal 4x5, no matter what
film, developer, or lenses are used.

The best 35mm will always look different. If you want 4x5 quality,
shoot 4x5.

That does not mean that 35mm cannot be made to look very good, but it's
too much to ask 35mm to equal 4x5.

Cannot be done.

Technical Pan does not look as sharp as faster films.

See Edge of Darkness by Barry Thornton.

I use 35mm exclusively, with Leica lenses in taking and enlarging, and
trust me the quality I get is about as good as you can get out of 35mm,
but it is no match for 4x5.

Of course, what I can capture with 35mm cannot be captured with any 4x5
camera.

They're two different beasts.

"Matt Clara" wrote\

Old December 8th 05, 07:25 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format

Amen to 35mm and 4x5 being different tools (beasts) which solve different
needs.

Todd

--
See fine art photography at: www.konabear.com
wrote in message
oups.com...
There is no such thing. 35mm cannot ever equal 4x5, no matter what
film, developer, or lenses are used.

The best 35mm will always look different. If you want 4x5 quality,
shoot 4x5.

That does not mean that 35mm cannot be made to look very good, but it's
too much to ask 35mm to equal 4x5.

Cannot be done.

Technical Pan does not look as sharp as faster films.

See Edge of Darkness by Barry Thornton.

I use 35mm exclusively, with Leica lenses in taking and enlarging, and
trust me the quality I get is about as good as you can get out of 35mm,
but it is no match for 4x5.

Of course, what I can capture with 35mm cannot be captured with any 4x5
camera.

They're two different beasts.

"Matt Clara" wrote\

Old December 9th 05, 10:57 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format

"Tom Phillips" wrote in message

Gregory Blank wrote:

In article ,
"Matt Clara" wrote:

"Gregory Blank" wrote in message
This is an excellent article and food for thought for the newbie
and seasoned LF photographer.

http://www.largeformatphotography.in...ic-bullet.html

Chasing the magic bullet isn't all bad, if one is taking lots of
photos along the way.

The magic bullet I'm looking for is the quality of 4x5 with the ease

of 35mm...haven't found it, have you? ;-)

Not yet, a good roll film back might do the trick though
and perhaps a straight line viewing hood to do away with the
dark cloth.

Pentax 6x7...

Not 4x5 either, but slightly closer - and easier to handhold than the
Pentax: Fujica 6x9 rangefinder...

Peter

Old December 9th 05, 02:36 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format

"Matt Clara" wrote in message
. ..

The magic bullet I'm looking for is the quality of 4x5 with the ease of
35mm...haven't found it, have you? ;-)

No, but I have found how to create 4x5 work that has 35mm quality, and
sometimes even less!