canon EOS-10D - the right camera for me?

Old July 23rd 04, 02:55 PM
tom

Default canon EOS-10D - the right camera for me?

Hi everyone,

I'm going to New Zealand and Australia, first language school and then
travel a bit and I need a camera.

My profile: I've never used a SLR camera yet. I haven't needed a camera
until now, but I'd like to start using one. I like nature so most of the
time I'll make nature photos, no posters of big pictures, just for me
and my family so we can look at them on a computer, perhaps make a
printed copy of a nice picture, but that's all.

Any suggestions?

thanks
tom
Old July 23rd 04, 05:09 PM
Paul Cassel

tom wrote:
Hi everyone,

I'm going to New Zealand and Australia, first language school and then
travel a bit and I need a camera.

My profile: I've never used a SLR camera yet. I haven't needed a
camera until now, but I'd like to start using one. I like nature so
most of the time I'll make nature photos, no posters of big pictures,
just for me and my family so we can look at them on a computer,
perhaps make a printed copy of a nice picture, but that's all.

Any suggestions?

The 10D is surely quite capable. I've been using SLR for almost all my life
(a long time) and find the 10D's controls quite complex as is the nature of
digitial photography at this level. I suppose you can always just point and
shoot the thing, but you can also just do that with the much simpler 4 MP
cameras too. All too often pointing and shooting digital gives not such too
results too.

IMO, you will get much better results with film SLR cameras due to the
nature of film over digital. Unless you are comitted to to digital in the
long run, for this trip, I"d suggest you go film. I suppose I'll be flamed
badly here in this forum for saying this, but that's my POV.

If there is a local camera store, I suggest you buy something used like an
A-1 Canon. or more modern one you can learn easily. Use it for a trip. Get
your shots this trip, then later, trade it for maybe a 100% credit on the
10D or it's sucessor when you have the time to learn digital. A trip is no
time to learn as you shoot because thise pix cannot be recovered. Keep in
mind that certain lenses for older Canon will not work for modern Canon so
ask before you invest too much in older film Canon equipment if you go the
old Canon route.

=paul

Old July 23rd 04, 06:31 PM
Creighton Hogg

On Fri, 23 Jul 2004, tom wrote:

Paul Cassel wrote:

tom wrote:

Hi everyone,

I'm going to New Zealand and Australia, first language school and then
travel a bit and I need a camera.

My profile: I've never used a SLR camera yet. I haven't needed a
camera until now, but I'd like to start using one. I like nature so
most of the time I'll make nature photos, no posters of big pictures,
just for me and my family so we can look at them on a computer,
perhaps make a printed copy of a nice picture, but that's all.

Any suggestions?

If there is a local camera store, I suggest you buy something used like an
A-1 Canon. or more modern one you can learn easily. Use it for a trip. Get
your shots this trip, then later, trade it for maybe a 100% credit on the
10D or it's sucessor when you have the time to learn digital. A trip is no
time to learn as you shoot because thise pix cannot be recovered.

I don't understand, 'cannot be recovered', what does it mean?

I believe he means that you cannot retake the photos you shoot on a trip,
so you want to get them right the first time.

I think he is warning you against the sometimes unforgiving dynamic range
of digital. Maybe he is referring to some other problems when first
learning to shoot digital, but the dynamic range is the big one for me.
It is very easy to overexpose images with digital and lose information in
the bright areas. The whole region will be solid white. Film has a
higher dynamic range than digital and also loses information much more
slowly when overexposed.

Old July 23rd 04, 06:45 PM
David J Taylor

tom wrote:
[]
A trip is no time to learn as you shoot because thise
pix cannot be recovered.

I don't understand, 'cannot be recovered', what does it mean?

The pictures cannot be taken again.

David

Old July 23rd 04, 07:04 PM

I believe he means that you cannot retake the photos you shoot on a trip,
so you want to get them right the first time.

I think he is warning you against the sometimes unforgiving dynamic range
of digital. Maybe he is referring to some other problems when first
learning to shoot digital, but the dynamic range is the big one for me.
It is very easy to overexpose images with digital and lose information in
the bright areas. The whole region will be solid white. Film has a
higher dynamic range than digital and also loses information much more
slowly when overexposed.

On the other hand, with digital you can immediately see if you got the shot
and whether your exposure is correct.
This is one of the benefits of digital over traditional film.

-Jack

Old July 23rd 04, 09:06 PM
Paul Cassel

tom wrote:
Paul Cassel wrote:

tom wrote:

[...]

You can't go back and reshoot like you can if you are shooting local. I'm
assuming NZ isn't close to you. I'm in NM, USA. If I miss a shot of a local
sunset, no biggie. If I'm from NZ and shooting NM, USA scenery, it's IS a
biggie so I shoot for max reliablility.

-paul

Old July 23rd 04, 09:06 PM
Paul Cassel

Creighton Hogg wrote:
On Fri, 23 Jul 2004, tom wrote:

Paul Cassel wrote:

tom wrote:

[...]

You got my meaning perfectly. I didn't know if the OP understood concepts
such as lattitude.

-paul

Old July 23rd 04, 09:34 PM
tom

Paul Cassel wrote:

tom wrote:

Paul Cassel wrote:

tom wrote:

[...]

And you think film cameras are more reliable? Or that an amateur will
make more successful photos with a film camera than with a digital?

From what you and other have said, it's not easy to work with a SLR
camera, but how hard is iy really? How many photos do I have to take
before I'll understand how it works?
From that point of view, learning to handle a SLR camera, it seems to me
that it's better to take a digital, because you don't have to wait until
the photos are made and you can look at them right in the display on the
back of the camera.
But I also understand that handling a digital camera is more difficult
than a film camera, becaus eit has more options and switches.

--
wereHamster a.k.a. Tom Carnecky Emmen, Switzerland

(GC 3.1) GIT d+ s+: a--- C++ UL++ P L++ E- W++ N++ !o !K w ?O ?M
?V PS PE ?Y PGP t ?5 X R- tv b+ ?DI D+ G++ e-- h! !r !y+