Lloyd has been reading but not writing ...

Old September 2nd 08, 02:59 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom
Lloyd Erlick

Default Lloyd has been reading but not writing ...

September 2, 2008, from Lloyd Erlick,

I'd like to thank the participants in this
forum for continuing in my absence...

I've been very distracted lately, and on top
of that I've just learned it's time to move.

So the effect has been that I've used rpd as
a form of self-therapy (it's nice to change
the subject of one's day-to-day, at least for
a few minutes.) I find it very useful to have
conversation on a subject of interest that is
different from whatever else is taking up my
time, and the discussions here fill that
bill.

So thank you all again, and I hope I'll be
better at posting in the near future. As some
may know, Natalie had open-heart surgery last
October, and, now that we're coming up on a
year of recovery, things are much less
stress-inspiring. It's a lot easier to watch
her on her treadmill than to see her blotto
in the ICU...

I've actually accomplished the worst part of
moving, which is to find the place to move
to. I found one (even) closer to the subway
station than my present place, and it's
bigger, too. The only downside is that I have
to pay for energy (heat in the winter and air
conditioning in the summer). I just hope that
doesn't force me back out onto the road ...

regards,
--le

________________________________
Lloyd Erlick Portraits, Toronto.
website: www.heylloyd.com
telephone: 416-686-0326
email:
________________________________

Old September 2nd 08, 08:00 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom
Andrew Price

On Tue, 02 Sep 2008 09:59:03 -0400, Lloyd Erlick Lloyd at @the-wire.
dot com wrote:

[---]

I've been very distracted lately, and on top
of that I've just learned it's time to move.

Oh no - not again? (I hate moving, as you might have guessed).
Didn't you move not that long ago - from the place where your dark
room was in the basement and full of cat fur?

[---]

So thank you all again, and I hope I'll be
better at posting in the near future.

Take your time - we have enough good souvenirs to go on with - like my
all-time favourite:

"Drying Screens Get Out of Town If You Know What's Good for You, and
Take Squeegee With You, Too!"

As some
may know, Natalie had open-heart surgery last
October, and, now that we're coming up on a
year of recovery, things are much less
stress-inspiring. It's a lot easier to watch
her on her treadmill than to see her blotto
in the ICU...

Remember that, too. If she's on the treadmill, not only does it mean
that she's recovered, but also that she's probably athletic enough to
put me to shame...

I've actually accomplished the worst part of
moving, which is to find the place to move
to. I found one (even) closer to the subway
station than my present place, and it's
bigger, too. The only downside is that I have
to pay for energy (heat in the winter and air
conditioning in the summer).

Probably not a downside. There are no free lunches. If you weren't
being billed for it directly at the old place, then it would have been
included somewhere else in sundry charges which are not so easy to
verify.

Anyhow, welcome back and looking forward to more posts from you in the
future!
Old September 2nd 08, 11:12 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom
Lloyd Erlick

September 2, 2008, from Lloyd Erlick,

On Tue, 02 Sep 2008 21:00:32 +0200, Andrew
Price wrote:

I've been very distracted lately, and on top
of that I've just learned it's time to move.

Oh no - not again? (I hate moving, as you might have guessed).
Didn't you move not that long ago - from the place where your dark
room was in the basement and full of cat fur?

Yes, I did. That cat is now dead (she reached
a few weeks short of twenty-one [years!] so
no need to feel too bad). It was December
2003. Yikes. I hate to use the old cliche,
but time does fly ...

[---]

So thank you all again, and I hope I'll be
better at posting in the near future.

Take your time - we have enough good souvenirs to go on with - like my
all-time favourite:

"Drying Screens Get Out of Town If You Know What's Good for You, and
Take Squeegee With You, Too!"

ahh, thank you, it's nice to be remembered

As some
may know, Natalie had open-heart surgery last
October, and, now that we're coming up on a
year of recovery, things are much less
stress-inspiring. It's a lot easier to watch
her on her treadmill than to see her blotto
in the ICU...

Remember that, too. If she's on the treadmill, not only does it mean
that she's recovered, but also that she's probably athletic enough to
put me to shame...

Me too, especially in the commitment
department. She really means it. The trouble
with something like heart surgery is that the
problem being worked on and hopefully solved
will kill otherwise. In our case the dominant
(and I do mean *dominant*) symptoms were
shortness of breath and angina (chest pain -
real pain, such as I for one have never
experienced). Either one of those will
motivate anyone to do anything (*anything*).
That's how people agree to open heart
surgery. So once the surgery is done and the
recovery somewhat advanced, the next lowest
problems start to feel like the worst
problems. Hence back pain from scoliosis. It
won't kill anyone, but damn it hurts.

I've actually accomplished the worst part of
moving, which is to find the place to move
to. I found one (even) closer to the subway
station than my present place, and it's
bigger, too. The only downside is that I have
to pay for energy (heat in the winter and air
conditioning in the summer).

Probably not a downside. There are no free lunches. If you weren't
being billed for it directly at the old place, then it would have been
included somewhere else in sundry charges which are not so easy to
verify.

Very true. The other factors can come in
non-monetary ways, too. In my case, although
the landlord was covering the cost of energy
(heat and electricity), the place was a dump
waiting for demolition, the sewage lines
backed up and he did not take care of it for
much too long, the front area was unheated,
there were cockroaches until I dealt with
them, there are mice, etc etc.

Anyhow, welcome back and looking forward to more posts from you in the
future!

Thanks, and I'll try to stay on topic, too

regards,
--le