Inefficient light source for multi-contrast B&W?

Old August 14th 08, 03:59 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom
John[_16_]

Default Inefficient light source for multi-contrast B&W?

Have not yet purchased a light source for the 8x10" enlarger.

I have one nagging question. I think, but I am not sure, that I read
that due to their color spectrum some light sources are particularly
inefficient for multi-contrast B&W paper.

If this is true, may we discuss it? I will keep track of responses and
post a summary if you like.

Thank you,
john
Old August 14th 08, 04:13 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom
Nicholas O. Lindan

Cold light and MG don't get along as a rule.

Aristo makes special tubes for MG printing.

I don't know of anyone that has tried a DIY fluorescent
head using special spectrum bulbs. The requirement
is producing lots of green light, something most fluorescents
don't do. The flourescents that are used to light produce
in grocery stores would be a good bet.

If you are using flourescents then you _will_ need that
electric shutter.

If you are thinking of LEDs then be sure to use the
deep blue 'Royal Blue'(?) color.

--
Nicholas O. Lindan, Cleveland, Ohio
http://www.darkroomautomation.com/damain.htm

Old August 14th 08, 04:33 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom
Jean-David Beyer

John wrote:
Have not yet purchased a light source for the 8x10" enlarger.

I have one nagging question. I think, but I am not sure, that I read
that due to their color spectrum some light sources are particularly
inefficient for multi-contrast B&W paper.

Some Aristo cold light heads are "blue only" and are quite suitable for
graded papers, but you need a head with both blue and green in the phosphors
used. I used a W45 phosphor that worked well. Aristo recommend V54.

If you can afford one, consider their VCL8100 head. It has a blue tube and
a green tube, and you can adjust the amount of each tube you get, so you do
not need filters at all.

http://www.aristogrid.com/vcl8100.htm

http://www.aristogrid.com/vcl8100_instal.htm

If this is true, may we discuss it? I will keep track of responses and
post a summary if you like.

Thank you,
john

^^-^^ 11:20:01 up 7 days, 17:26, 4 users, load average: 4.21, 4.26, 4.27