Cheap SD Cards

Old November 17th 17, 07:59 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

Default Cheap SD Cards

On Fri, 17 Nov 2017 12:33:18 -0500, PeterN
wrote:

On 11/17/2017 11:56 AM, Savageduck wrote:
On Nov 17, 2017, PeterN wrote
(in article ):

On 11/16/2017 10:50 PM, Savageduck wrote:
On Nov 16, 2017, PeterN wrote
(in article ):

Sunday I did a quick sunset shoot. Out of 46 images, several had weird
colors in unusual portions of the images.

That shouldn’t be a problem for you. weird colors in unusual portions of
the images should be right in your wheelhouse. ;-)

Not like this:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/4n3mlqf07qwmt10/_DSC7524.NEF?dl=0

Yup! That looks like a corrupt file issue. As to where that corruption is
happening one can best surmise that it was the card. However, there can be
all sorts of causes, mostly due to current, clearing the buffer, and writing
issues. So it would be best to run a check with a known good performing card
to eliminate possible issues with the camera.

What was the brand of the card in question, what was its rating, and which
camera were you using?

D800, and a Delkin Black. I complained to Delkin. They are sending me a
reader, and requested that I test the card with that reader. The shot
you see is a ten shot multiple exposure. I was testing to see how much
time was needed between shots, to get a similar effect to a long
exposure. despite the corruption, my conclusion is that it can be done.
In a calm bay it takes about 2.5 seconds between each shot, for a ten
shot exposure.

I tried a variation of that some years ago on the D300. The camera had
the ability to make multiple exposures into the one image file and I
tried this as a means of smoothing out surf. Technically it worked but
it wasn't a succesful image so I dumped it. I can't now remember the
details of what I did.

Eric Stevens
Old November 17th 17, 11:30 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Bill W

wrote:

[...]

Were all of the corrupted files multiple exposure? I would consider
the possibility that you are seeing an artifact of that process, and
not a bad card.
Old November 17th 17, 11:51 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_7_]

wrote:

[...]

Good thought, but the file i posted definitely did not show an artifact.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/4n3mlqf07qwmt10/_DSC7524.NEF?dl=0

--
PeterN
Old November 18th 17, 12:04 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On Nov 17, 2017, Savageduck wrote
(in iganews.com):

On Nov 17, 2017, croy wrote
(in ):

On Thu, 16 Nov 2017 19:50:30 -0800,
wrote:

I have not experienced any corruption issues with either brand, but with
one
Lexar 32GB 300MB/s SDHC UHS-II/U3 the lock slider was displaced on
re-inserting it into my X-T2. That effectively turned it into a read only
card which, after much trying, proved to be unrepairable. So that was a $65
card down the tubes.

I had that happen on a card a few years back, and found info on the web,
telling me that the tiny lock slider, when in read mode, is just filling a
space. Apparently, the camera has a "feeler", checking to see if it can drop into that space or
not. If not, it’s a R/W card! So I carefully put some epoxy in that space, and am still using
the card. I just can't use the lock.

Interesting. I will give that a try, it is a case of having nothing to lose,
just another 32GB SD card to gain.

Thanks.

Just to report back, I tried your suggestion, and IT WORKS!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/vhvo3cj3sm9f03i/IMG_2389.jpg

https://www.dropbox.com/s/9hkktmky5vztu86/IMG_2390.jpg

Thank you.

So it is a 32GB card saved, and I will be able to at least use it if needed.
Fortunately I have a good supply of fast 32GB SDHC cards.

Savageduck

Old November 18th 17, 12:25 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On Nov 17, 2017, PeterN wrote
(in article ):

[...]

What is a Delkin Black?

Delkin Black is meaningless, all that tells us is who the manufacturer is.
What is the actual read/write speed of the card?

Also, because you have somewhat explained what you were doing with multiple
exposures, I suspect that this was just a slow card choking on what was being
fed it, and unable to clear the camera buffer. I have a feeling that if you
just used it to shoot a single exposure there might be no problem at all. If
you are going to use a high performance camera, you should use high
performance cards regardless of how tempting it might be to go the budget
card route.

Savageduck

Old November 18th 17, 02:22 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Bill W

wrote:

[...]

We might be using the word differently. "Result" would work instead in
this case.
Old November 18th 17, 02:24 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Bill W

On Fri, 17 Nov 2017 16:25:29 -0800, Savageduck
wrote:

On Nov 17, 2017, PeterN wrote
(in article ):

[...]

I agree with this - I doubt that card corruption or partial failure
was the cause of the issue he had.
Old November 18th 17, 02:59 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On Nov 17, 2017, Bill W wrote
(in ):

On Fri, 17 Nov 2017 16:25:29 -0800, Savageduck
wrote:

On Nov 17, 2017, PeterN wrote
(in article ):

[...]

I believe the first thing to establish is what the specs of the SD card are.

Delkin produce good products including SD and CF cards. However, they produce
SD cards with a wide range of specs and prices, some are truly fast cards
with corresponding higher prices. Since Peter, in his subject line, and his
OP narative hinted that the SD card in question was “cheap”, I am
inclined to assume that this card has slow read/write specs. Hence the
corruption problems when faced with a high performance camera trying to clear
the buffer as fast as it can, into a card which can’t write fast enough.

Savageduck

Old November 18th 17, 07:15 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

On Fri, 17 Nov 2017 18:59:35 -0800, Savageduck
wrote:

--- snip ---

[...]

And through all of this discussion and theorising not one of the
resident Nikon owners/users remember that In the back of (at least)
most of their manuals Nikon specifies the minimum standard of common
memory cards which will run with the particular camera. What does it
say for the D800?

Eric Stevens
Old November 18th 17, 07:54 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On Nov 17, 2017, Eric Stevens wrote
(in ):

On Fri, 17 Nov 2017 18:59:35 -0800, Savageduck
wrote:

--- snip ---

[...]

Beats me!

I don’t own a D800, as a matter of fact I don’t own any FF Nikon DSLR,
and I have no idea if Peter RTFM, and he is the only Nikon user who counts in
this discussion. So perhaps you could assist, and provide that snippet of
information, or perhaps Peter will let us know if he has RTFM.

Savageduck