How many of us have made THIS mistake?

Old September 3rd 04, 12:18 AM
Michael R. Lachance

Default How many of us have made THIS mistake?

Shot a whole TMX 120 roll of cows and crows in a field the other day.. nice
broken up clouds with patches of shadows and great depth... used an orange
filter to help puunch the sky down a bit and snap up the contrast. Incident
metered off my old but reliable AutoMeter III. Developed as i normally do
(HC110 1:63 breif agitation at 30 secs, 30 secs, 1 min, then undisturbed for
remainder of 10 min development, usually works nicely)

Well, got the film into the wash and took a look. Shadows fell off the toe.
What the heck? i thought...

Then it occurred to me... DUH... I forgot to open lens 2 stops for orange
filter factor!!!!!!!!

What a dufus I am sometimes, I hate it when idiot things like this
happen... the pics are not all bad, but i definately lost the shadows.

I am wonder how many of us out there have made this oversight before, and
even if anyone is willing to admit it!

Mike Lachance

Old September 3rd 04, 12:35 AM
Gregory Blank

I am sure almost everyone makes that same kind of mistake
or has. Realistically and this may seem wasteful to some
but on average I put two seperate views maybe three one 1)120 roll-
I bracket,...I shoot alot more 120 this way but seldom completely
miss shots any longer.

to the American public."--Theodore Roosevelt, May 7, 1918
Old September 3rd 04, 12:37 AM
Gregory Blank

Oh and a test roll shot under the same conditions for a snip test
on your developer does wonders as well.

to the American public."--Theodore Roosevelt, May 7, 1918
Old September 3rd 04, 12:55 AM
Peter De Smidt

Michael R. Lachance wrote:
Shot a whole TMX 120 roll of cows and crows in a field the other day.. nice
broken up clouds with patches of shadows and great depth... used an orange
filter to help puunch the sky down a bit and snap up the contrast.

An orange filter will actually cause the equivalent of N-1 contrast with
TMX using one's standard N development time, which is the opposite of
what happens with traditional bw film. David Kachel described this
phenomenon about a decade ago in one of the magazines, and I've found it
to be true. So when using an orange filter with TMX, you should not
only give two stops more exposure, you should develop about 15% more
than your standard time, assuming you want N style contrast.

-Peter

Old September 3rd 04, 01:31 AM
Michael R. Lachance

Great info about the Orange effects on TMAX. As it was the negs did look a
bit less contrasty than normal, which is a good thing actually, as I feel
TMX is a bit contrasty in HC110 anyway, but coupled with my compensating
development it most likely is a bit on the flat side of N. I dont mind.

I do know however, that RED really does boost the contrast with TMX...
Unfiltered, a blue sky is always 2 stops or so off the subject highlights it
seems under normal development.. In going the compensating technique route i
really have managed to put the brakes on sky density. I shot some beach
photos on a hazy day, thus unfiltered. Low afternoon sun, and with
silhouetted beach goers my negs still give a tiny bit of sky detail while
retaining beach goer detail. This is using the technique i described in the
original post.

Funny, I shot things that day at beach with and without filters and never
once forgot to adjust for the filter factors. Yet "the great cow shot" of
yesterday was a total brain fart.

Ah well, here is a basic scan off neg, minor brighness/contrast adjustments
in software, but no "manipulating"...
(see attached) i could spend more time getting it "perfect" but its not that
great a shot anyway...
;-)
Mike Lacahnce

"Peter De Smidt" pdesmidt*no*spam*@tds.*net* wrote in message
Michael R. Lachance wrote:
Shot a whole TMX 120 roll of cows and crows in a field the other day..

nice
broken up clouds with patches of shadows and great depth... used an

orange
filter to help puunch the sky down a bit and snap up the contrast.

An orange filter will actually cause the equivalent of N-1 contrast with
TMX using one's standard N development time, which is the opposite of
what happens with traditional bw film. David Kachel described this
phenomenon about a decade ago in one of the magazines, and I've found it
to be true. So when using an orange filter with TMX, you should not
only give two stops more exposure, you should develop about 15% more
than your standard time, assuming you want N style contrast.

-Peter

Attached Images
File Type: jpg cows01.jpg (54.2 KB, 219 views)
Old September 3rd 04, 01:49 AM
jjs

Michael R. Lachance wrote:
Shot a whole TMX 120 roll of cows and crows in a field the other day..
nice
broken up clouds with patches of shadows and great depth... used an
orange
filter to help puunch the sky down a bit and snap up the contrast.

An orange filter will actually cause the equivalent of N-1 contrast with
TMX using one's standard N development time, [...]

Aw darn, now everybody knows.

Old September 3rd 04, 02:01 AM
Gregory Blank

Hum, I was under the impression that a yellow filter always
decreases contrast on film (about a stop). Therefore an orange being
part red would give you a little less contrast (maybe half a stop).

to the American public."--Theodore Roosevelt, May 7, 1918