Help! Broke my rolleimatic enlarger's red slide

Old October 2nd 09, 08:48 AM posted to rec.photo.marketplace.darkroom,rec.photo.darkroom,news.groups.photo.darkroom
Richard Knoppow

Default Help! Broke my rolleimatic enlarger's red slide

"laran" wrote in message
Richard Knoppow wrote:
"laran" wrote in message
Hello,

broke the red plastic, cam-shaped red slide for my
rolleimatic enlarger. Can't remember what it is called
but it allows me to focus without exposing my image. I
anticipate that finding a replacement will be extremely
difficult so I would like to cut out a new one.

Question: is the red slide just lexan? acrylic? What
would be suitable to use for an enlarger? And if
possible, sources? In canada???

thanks
Laran

You may want to join one of the Rolleiflex mailing
lists, one is at Freelists and the other at Yahoo.
I think its possible a bit of Rubylith, available at
art supply stores, may work to replace the original
filter. However, I've never used the red filter on an
enlarger. I use a scrap of paper the same thickness as
the paper I am printing on under the grain focuser. This
is probably not necessary due to the depth of focus is
more than sufficient to compensate for the paper
thickness. The brighter image will make focusing much
easier. About the only time I use the red filter is for
complex dodging or burning in.

--
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles, CA, USA

do you have url's for these lists? thank you once
again...

These were once a single list but it split a couple of
years ago. On is on Freelists which is a mailing list
service.
http://www.freelists.org from there you must
register and can choose which lists to join. This one is
called rollei_list. The other is on Yahoo and can be
accessed there or via e-mail.
have to register with yahoo. Yahoo wants to send mailing
lists in HTML with advertising but you can opt out of this
in your settings. You will have to reset them periodically.
While both lists are officially for discussion of Franke &
Heideke products they range all over the place. I am
co-administrator of the Freelists one and can help if you
have trouble subscribing. Write me directly for that. You
will get a challenge message from my spam blocker but just
return it and I will unblock you and answer the message.
There are people on both lists who know the Rollei
enlargers.

--
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles, CA, USA