Panasonic G9 stabilization good for about 5 stops

Old November 13th 17, 09:07 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
android

Default Panasonic G9 stabilization good for about 5 stops

In article ,
Rich A wrote:

They are a bit closer to Olympus now, but in order to achieve this, both
camera and lens need stabilization, which equals $$$.

http://www.photobyrichard.com/review...m-f2-8-review/

Image stabilization for wides are for necrophiliacs!
--
teleportation kills
Old November 13th 17, 04:47 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_7_]

On 11/13/2017 3:07 AM, android wrote:
In article ,
Rich A wrote:

They are a bit closer to Olympus now, but in order to achieve this, both
camera and lens need stabilization, which equals $$$.

http://www.photobyrichard.com/review...m-f2-8-review/

Image stabilization for wides are for necrophiliacs!

Or someone: shooting without gloves on a cold day; with a nervous disorder.

--
PeterN
Old November 14th 17, 08:13 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
android

In article ,
RichA wrote:

On Monday, 13 November 2017 07:59:41 UTC-8, android wrote:

Rich A wrote:

They are a bit closer to Olympus now, but in order to achieve this,
both
camera and lens need stabilization, which equals $$$.

http://www.photobyrichard.com/review...m-f2-8-review/

Image stabilization for wides are for necrophiliacs!

Or someone: shooting without gloves on a cold day; with a nervous
disorder.

Well, that would make up the future market for Olympus and Panasonic
then. IBIS wont compensate for the small sensors in their cams in
ordinary photography.

It can to an extent. Depends on the subject. If I can shoot a stationary
object two stops ISO lower because of stabilization than the larger sensor
competition, I equal them.

Well, most photogs have to have gear that can capture moving objects...
--
teleportation kills
Old November 14th 17, 08:29 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
David Taylor

On 14/11/2017 07:13, android wrote:
[]
Well, most photogs have to have gear that can capture moving objects...

Although I might disagree with "most", personally I find a small MFT
camera and lens more responsive to movement than a bulky full-frame system.

As a Panasonic GX7 user, I do find the G9 too big.

--
Cheers,
David
Old November 14th 17, 09:09 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
android

In article ,
David Taylor wrote:

On 14/11/2017 07:13, android wrote:
[]
Well, most photogs have to have gear that can capture moving objects...

Although I might disagree with "most", personally I find a small MFT
camera and lens more responsive to movement than a bulky full-frame system.

It's not about that the camera moves but that the subject does. If you
need 1/125s to freeze a moving subject than you need that 1/125s with or
without IS.
--
teleportation kills
Old November 14th 17, 10:20 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
David Taylor

On 14/11/2017 08:09, android wrote:
In article ,
David Taylor wrote:

On 14/11/2017 07:13, android wrote:
[]
Well, most photogs have to have gear that can capture moving objects...

Although I might disagree with "most", personally I find a small MFT
camera and lens more responsive to movement than a bulky full-frame system.

It's not about that the camera moves but that the subject does. If you
need 1/125s to freeze a moving subject than you need that 1/125s with or
without IS.

Agreed. I was thinking more tracking race cars at a circuit or rapidly
moving sea-craft! There the blurred background can add to the impact of
the image. Most of my other photography I could class as "stills", no
animals or children making irregular and unpredictable movements.

I was pleased with some recent results photographing stars from a moving
ship:

https://twitter.com/gm8arv/status/915619281060220928

Panasonic GX7, electronic shutter, in-body image stabilisation, ISO
3200. 0.77s f/1.7 20mm "pancake" lens (40mm equiv.).

--
Cheers,
David
Old November 14th 17, 01:24 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On Nov 14, 2017, David Taylor wrote
(in article ):

David Taylor wrote:

On 14/11/2017 07:13, android wrote:
[]
Well, most photogs have to have gear that can capture moving objects...

Although I might disagree with "most", personally I find a small MFT
camera and lens more responsive to movement than a bulky full-frame system.

It's not about that the camera moves but that the subject does. If you
need 1/125s to freeze a moving subject than you need that 1/125s with or
without IS.

Agreed. I was thinking more tracking race cars at a circuit or rapidly
moving sea-craft! There the blurred background can add to the impact of
the image. Most of my other photography I could class as "stills", no
animals or children making irregular and unpredictable movements.

If you were thinking of tracking race cars at a circuit, to add a blurred
background you don’t need IBIS, OIS, VR, OS, IS, etc. All you need is to
use a well practiced horizontal panning technique which has been in use long
before digital was imagined. Just the horizontal panning movement imparts a
degree of stabilization while tracking the moving target. You are actually
better off turning off all image stabilization, even though some systems,
like that found in the latest Nikkor VR lenses, claim to detect panning
motion and compensate for it.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/d9mganvz46g6tb2/DNC4352.jpg

https://www.dropbox.com/s/mdsoz9gu493nbmp/DNC5067Aw.jpg

Savageduck

Old November 14th 17, 04:25 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
David Taylor

On 14/11/2017 12:24, Savageduck wrote:
[]
If you were thinking of tracking race cars at a circuit, to add a blurred
background you don’t need IBIS, OIS, VR, OS, IS, etc. All you need is to
use a well practiced horizontal panning technique which has been in use long
before digital was imagined. Just the horizontal panning movement imparts a
degree of stabilization while tracking the moving target. You are actually
better off turning off all image stabilization, even though some systems,
like that found in the latest Nikkor VR lenses, claim to detect panning
motion and compensate for it.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/d9mganvz46g6tb2/DNC4352.jpg

https://www.dropbox.com/s/mdsoz9gu493nbmp/DNC5067Aw.jpg

Yes, agreed. I still find a smaller camera easier to pan than a large
one. Nice action images! And even with relatively short focal length
lenses I find IS helpful especially in low-light conditions, so I
welcome any improvement in that area.

--
Cheers,
David
Old November 15th 17, 02:04 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
[email protected]

On Mon, 13 Nov 2017 09:07:51 +0100, android wrote:

In article ,
Rich A wrote:

They are a bit closer to Olympus now, but in order to achieve this, both
camera and lens need stabilization, which equals $$$.

http://www.photobyrichard.com/review...m-f2-8-review/

Image stabilization for wides are for necrophiliacs!

Uh.....no. When you can hand hold that wide for a couple of seconds
and get a sharp shot, well, it's hard to argue against the usability
of IBIS.