Help! Photoshop jpg cropping in Kodak Kiosk

Old August 16th 06, 12:49 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
alijsyed

Default Help! Photoshop jpg cropping in Kodak Kiosk

Hi Everyone:

I am a bit of a novice when using the kodak kiosk but I was trying to
print out a graphic I created
(sports card of my son in soccer uniform). I am using Photoshop CS and
trying to print it out on the kodak kiosk (laptop no printer).

I set the image size to under 4x6 dimensions and the resolution at
300dpi.
Unfortunately, the image appears to big for the kodak kiosk. It only
allows me to crop the picture (which ruins the overall sports card).

I am at my wits end please help.

Thanks

Ali

Old August 16th 06, 01:23 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Roy G

"alijsyed" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi Everyone:

I am a bit of a novice when using the kodak kiosk but I was trying to
print out a graphic I created
(sports card of my son in soccer uniform). I am using Photoshop CS and
trying to print it out on the kodak kiosk (laptop no printer).

I set the image size to under 4x6 dimensions and the resolution at
300dpi.
Unfortunately, the image appears to big for the kodak kiosk. It only
allows me to crop the picture (which ruins the overall sports card).

I am at my wits end please help.

Thanks

Ali

Hi.

What shape is the image you are trying to print?

Let me guess it is straight out of your digicam and is 6 x 4.5 proportion.

If you want to print it as 6 x 4 you need to crop it, or add white space, to
make it into the 6 x 4 proportion, so that you can retain the bit you want.

Otherwise the machine crops it automatically for you, as you have just found
out.

Roy G.

Old August 16th 06, 03:45 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
alijsyed

Hi Roy

The photo image is from my Canon Powershot. I have no idea what the
default picture is.
But the entire graphic was assembled in photoshop (I built the sports
card using the dimensions I mentioned earlier ...which should be less
vthan 4X 6 based on Adobe photoshop CS.

I don't disagree with the cropping though which is what i am trying to
figure out how to fix.

Any suggestions (pending the new info)

Thanks

Ali

Old August 16th 06, 04:43 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Dave Cohen

Roy G wrote:
Hi.

What shape is the image you are trying to print?

Let me guess it is straight out of your digicam and is 6 x 4.5 proportion.

If you want to print it as 6 x 4 you need to crop it, or add white space, to
make it into the 6 x 4 proportion, so that you can retain the bit you want.

Otherwise the machine crops it automatically for you, as you have just found
out.

Roy G.

I believe the machine is going to print to contain all the image,
cropping as needed.
I don't use PhotoShop, but any editor (FastStone is excellent for this)
will let you the following:
Crop in the editor to get a 3:2 pixel ratio. With FastStone you don't
have to do any calculations, they provide a fixed ratio frame. In
PhotPlus, I keep a little chart. If my crop is 1200 pixels wide I make
the cropped height 800 pixels. Note: Do not confuse this with output
resample settings, quite a different matter.
The second method is if you don't need much post processing is to do it
at the kiosk. They let you make minor adjustments and show a movable
frame to select what will be printed after you've made any image
enlargement assuming you want to print only a portion. Of course, there
is no way you can avoid losing something if your output aspect ratio
differs from you shoot ratio.
Dave Cohen
Old August 16th 06, 10:52 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
MyVeryOwnSelf

I am a bit of a novice when using the kodak kiosk but I was trying to
print out a graphic I created
(sports card of my son in soccer uniform). I am using Photoshop CS and
trying to print it out on the kodak kiosk (laptop no printer).

I set the image size to under 4x6 dimensions and the resolution at
300dpi.
Unfortunately, the image appears to big for the kodak kiosk. It only
allows me to crop the picture (which ruins the overall sports card).

I am at my wits end please help.

The issue isn't so much the Photoshop "image size" as it is the aspect
ratio; that is, the ratio between width and height. For 4x6, that's 1.5
(the fraction 6/4). So in Photoshop go for exactly 4x6, rather than "under
4x6."

If you want to print files you have and they aren't the right aspect ratio,
then they either have to be cropped (losing some of the image) or
letterboxed (putting in blank bands as margins in one direction) or
stretched to fit (a bad idea because of the distortion).

You report that the kodak kiosk supports only cropping. If that's not what
you want, you might want to try a different printing method. I admit having
a bias against the kodak kiosk. When I brought a carefully retouched photo
file to a kiosk near me, it really botched the job in my opinion, giving
low-quality prints.

Around here (and likely near where you live too), there are lots of drug
stores and discount stores that print photos using better equipment. I've
had good results at Long's and Costco. There are also on-line services.
I've had good results with Snapfish and oFoto.
Old August 16th 06, 11:33 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Roy G

"alijsyed" wrote in message
ups.com...
Hi Roy

The photo image is from my Canon Powershot. I have no idea what the
default picture is.
But the entire graphic was assembled in photoshop (I built the sports
card using the dimensions I mentioned earlier ...which should be less
vthan 4X 6 based on Adobe photoshop CS.

I don't disagree with the cropping though which is what i am trying to
figure out how to fix.

Any suggestions (pending the new info)

Thanks

Ali

Hello again.

If you read my first reply, I asked what SHAPE your image is.

That means the proportion between the long side and the short side. If it is
from your Canon it will be 6 on the long side to 4.5 on the short.

There is NO WAY a 6 x 4.5 shape can fit a 6 x 4 shape. So you have to
either Crop, or add white space until your image fits that SHAPE.

It does not matter very much what the total length of the sides are. It is
the proportion which matters.

These machines resize every image submitted to 6 inches on the long side,
which makes your short side 4.5 nches and that will be cropped to 4 inches.

As I said earlier you must change the shape of your image to 6 x 4.

It seems rather strange that someone using Photoshop does not know what size
image his camera produces. The Image size is on the same dialogue box used
to change the DPI, and you managed to set that to 300.

Roy

Old August 17th 06, 10:30 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
no_name

alijsyed wrote:

Hi Roy

The photo image is from my Canon Powershot. I have no idea what the
default picture is.

In Photoshop select Image|Image Size and it'll tell you what the default
is. You need to make your printable image a multiple of 6x4 if that's
the print size.