20D, TROJANS, & BEARS ... OH MY !!!

Old September 22nd 04, 08:01 PM
Gary Eickmeier

Eric Gill wrote:

I just shot my first 70 or so "real" frames with the new body, and had no
trouble with flash at all:

(partial frame, 100 iso, 1/50, 50mm Macro @ f/3.2, two speedlights on
umbrellas slaved to an STE2)

http://www.nightskycreative.com/20D-sample-001.jpg

So this was in manual mode, not in ETTL-2? The Canon forum in Dpreview
is talking about a lot of flash problems with underexposure.

Gary Eickmeier

Old September 22nd 04, 09:32 PM
Rob Davison

Eric Gill wrote:

Rob Davison wrote in news:dSa4d.5249
:

Any chance one of you lucky guys could find a dark sky and try something
like this with a 20D ?

Alas, I live in Houston. "Dark skies" don't exist here.

http://www.pbase.com/mapleglen/image/31500132

(Clouds of Magellan, 20 seconds @ F1.8 ISO400, +2.0EV)

Cool. What lens?

Sigma 20mm F1.8. Its a bit cheap feeling and the CA is a nasty wide
open but otherwise is a fun toy. Hope it still works on the next body...

If your ISO 800 or 1600 looks anything like my 400 I'll probably have to
buy one...

From my first experiments, 1600 and 3200 are both better than the previous
800, 1600 not quite on par with the old 400.

Thats pretty spectacular. :-)

However, the in-camera dark frame extraction may do odd things on
astrophotography (of course, it can be turned off). I won't have a chance
to experiment with it for about three weeks, when I finally get a few days
out of this megalopolis.

I'd be very keen to see the results.

Rob.
Old September 22nd 04, 09:40 PM
Rob Davison

From: Rob Davison

Any chance one of you lucky guys could find a dark sky and try something
like this with a 20D ?

Here's one I took the other night. Not a great shot or a very dark sky though.

http://www.pbase.com/bret/image/34120290

Thanks Brett. I look forward to seeing more of your photos.

Rob.
Old September 22nd 04, 11:12 PM
Eric Gill

Gary Eickmeier wrote in
news

Eric Gill wrote:

I just shot my first 70 or so "real" frames with the new body, and
had no trouble with flash at all:

(partial frame, 100 iso, 1/50, 50mm Macro @ f/3.2, two speedlights on
umbrellas slaved to an STE2)

http://www.nightskycreative.com/20D-sample-001.jpg

So this was in manual mode, not in ETTL-2?

Nope. ETTL-2.

The Canon forum in Dpreview
is talking about a lot of flash problems with underexposure.

Well, I got bit by the "one speedlight couldn't see the infrared remote
while I was in front of the umbrella" bug, and also the "autofocus worked
perfectly on the background" bug, but the exposure wasn't much of a problem
(when both strobes fired).