d70 - sync cord - iTTL-friendly

Old September 19th 04, 05:53 PM
Stanley Krute

This sentence comes from page 189 of the
D70 manual:

When an SC-series 17, 28, or 29 sync cable is
used for off-camera flash photography,
correct exposure may not be achieved using i-TTL
Balanced Fill-Flash for Digital SLR.

I'm guessing that the "may not" is there due to the point
Christopher brought up:

i suspect that this is true when the flash is used in anything other than an
on camera flash bracket as the distance information provided by the focus
system could be inaccurate relative to the corded flash..

-- stan

Old September 19th 04, 07:11 PM
Stanley Krute

Nikon has a nice document about TTL flashation.
It lives he

http://www.nikon-image.com/eng/speed...ttl_system.pdf

The SC-28 and SC-29 are the two cords that support
i-TTL, according to that doc.

-- stan

Old September 19th 04, 07:31 PM
Stanley Krute

Gadgets noted:

Except you'd want to keep on-camera flash output very low to avoid red-eye
or lens shadow when triggering your remote flash?

According to various posts I googled, when the built-in speedlight
is used in Commander mode, its output is minimal.

-- stan

Old September 20th 04, 12:26 AM
Apteryx

"Stanley Krute" wrote in message
Gadgets noted:

Except you'd want to keep on-camera flash output very low to avoid

red-eye
or lens shadow when triggering your remote flash?

According to various posts I googled, when the built-in speedlight
is used in Commander mode, its output is minimal.

Yes, so minimal as to be useless as fill-in. It does no more than
signal the SB800 and has no discernible effect that I can detect on the
exposure. If in fact you need fill-in from the camera position, then
you need either 2 SB800s or you need to set your SB800 to SU4 mode and
you built in flash on manual (I assume without testing it that if your
built in flash was on TTL, there would be pre flash problems)

--
Apteryx
Treat anger like gold. Spend it wisely or not at all.

Old September 20th 04, 10:29 AM
Walter Hofmann

Apteryx schrieb:

According to various posts I googled, when the built-in speedlight
is used in Commander mode, its output is minimal.

Yes, so minimal as to be useless as fill-in. It does no more than
signal the SB800 and has no discernible effect that I can detect on the
exposure. If in fact you need fill-in from the camera position, then
you need either 2 SB800s

An SB600 as remote and an SB800 as master will do as well.

or you need to set your SB800 to SU4 mode and
you built in flash on manual (I assume without testing it that if your
built in flash was on TTL, there would be pre flash problems)

Indeed there are preflash problems when the master is on TTL.

Walter

Old September 22nd 04, 10:43 PM
Stan Krute

There's a nice page of D70 flash info he

http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/D70/D70A7.HTM
Old September 22nd 04, 10:43 PM
Stan Krute