Newbie introduction and question

Old October 28th 07, 09:41 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Neil Ellwood

Default Newbie introduction and question

On Sat, 27 Oct 2007 09:18:25 -0400, Robert Coe wrote:

On Wed, 24 Oct 2007 09:20:33 -0600, ray wrote: : Before
you consider buying photoshop, I'd suggest you try GIMP which is :
available for free and offers a lot of the same functionality. I've
found : that by shooting RAW and doing basic manipulations in UFRAW
(also free) : things generally work out quite quickly and easily.

Do those programs handle Canon .CR2 RAW mode correctly, including
preserving Canon's idiosyncratic Exif data?

Bob

They do.

--
Neil
reverse ra and delete l
Old November 9th 07, 08:25 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
measekite

Gimp 2.4 has many features of the full Photoshop and it is free.  There is a Windows version.  It takes some learning.  There is a good book by Apex Publishing.  Make sure you get the new version of this book for 2.4.  Both the book and Gimp 2.4 just came out.

Scott W wrote: Juan Moore Beer wrote:
Hi All,
My real life name is Dan and I am new to your hobby and this newsgroup.

I have been lurking for three or four weeks and have enjoyed much of what
is here.

My newbieness is in the digital arena.  I have taken my share of snapshots
but lost most in a recent flood, so I decided to go digital.

I bought a Canon 400D and love it, though I have nothing to compare it to.

A sample photo of the kind I like to take can be found he

http://www.flickr.com/photos/15996225@N08/?saved=1

Yeah, I know that the focus is not particularly sharp and the composition
could be better, but I like it so there :-)

My question relates to editing.  In general, I like to stick with what I
shoot, but I guess I might like to improve an occasional special shot for
printing.

My kit came with Canon Digital Professional.  Is that similar to the
Photoshop products I keep reading about?  I can't help thinking that
Photoshop and related products offer much more functionality, but don't
want to buy it if I don't need it.

If different, is Photoshop Essentials the way to go for an amateur?

I use Canon Digital Professional from time to time, don't really like it that much.

I believe you meant to say Photoshop Elements not Essentials, if so Photoshop Elements is the main program I use for editing.

I have thought about getting the full version of Photoshop, but for that price I can get a new lens, and I would rather have the new lens.

Scott