Newbie in digital world

Old February 1st 07, 02:03 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
piterengel

Default Newbie in digital world

Hi all, I'm a newbie in this world. I've bought a Canon G7 camera, and
being used to analogic ambient I would like to know about DOF in
digital one. Help please!
Thanks all
Piterengel

Old February 1st 07, 03:23 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Joseph Meehan

piterengel wrote:
Hi all, I'm a newbie in this world. I've bought a Canon G7 camera, and
being used to analogic ambient I would like to know about DOF in
digital one. Help please!
Thanks all
Piterengel

DOF in digital is the same as in any camera.

Some digital cameras have a sensor the same size as a 35 mm lens so the
image produced with a given lens will have the same DOF and FOF (field of
view). Others have smaller sensors which will differ just as a half frame
film camera would.

Often the sensor size is described in terms of the "crop factor" In
your case that is 4.8.

All else being equal the camera with the largest crop factor (smallest
sensor/film size) will have greater DOF at the same aperture and distance
and area of subject covered. This is good if you want everything to be in
focus (close and more distant objects) but it is bad if you want to use DOF
to isolate the primary subject and allow closer and more distant object to
become less sharp.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia 's Muire duit

Old February 2nd 07, 08:10 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Bill

"Joseph Meehan" wrote in message
piterengel wrote:
Hi all, I'm a newbie in this world. I've bought a Canon G7 camera,
and
being used to analogic ambient I would like to know about DOF in
digital one. Help please!

Some digital cameras have a sensor the same size as a 35 mm lens so
the image produced with a given lens will have the same DOF and FOF
(field of view). Others have smaller sensors which will differ just
as a half frame film camera would.

Have a read through these two links for additional info about crop
factors, perspective, etc.:

http://hannemyr.com/photo/crop.html

http://jimdoty.com/Digital/fov_crop/fov_crop.html

Old February 2nd 07, 11:23 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
piterengel

piterengel wrote:
Hi all, I'm a newbie in this world. I've bought a Canon G7 camera,
and
being used to analogic ambient I would like to know about DOF in
digital one. Help please!

Some digital cameras have a sensor the same size as a 35 mm lens so
the image produced with a given lens will have the same DOF and FOF
(field of view). Others have smaller sensors which will differ just
as a half frame film camera would.

Have a read through these two links for additional info about crop
factors, perspective, etc.:

http://hannemyr.com/photo/crop.html

http://jimdoty.com/Digital/fov_crop/fov_crop.html

Useful links, expecially the first one.

Old February 2nd 07, 12:57 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Joseph Meehan

piterengel wrote:
Hi all, I'm a newbie in this world. I've bought a Canon G7 camera,
and
being used to analogic ambient I would like to know about DOF in
digital one. Help please!

Some digital cameras have a sensor the same size as a 35 mm lens
so the image produced with a given lens will have the same DOF and
FOF (field of view). Others have smaller sensors which will differ
just as a half frame film camera would.

Have a read through these two links for additional info about crop
factors, perspective, etc.:

http://hannemyr.com/photo/crop.html

http://jimdoty.com/Digital/fov_crop/fov_crop.html

Thanks for adding that. I was looking for something like that and could
not find it so I tried my own limited ability to explain.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia 's Muire duit