Newbie help: Canon EOS 350D vs. Nikon D70s

Old April 18th 06, 12:00 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

Default Newbie help: Canon EOS 350D vs. Nikon D70s

"R. Rajesh Jeba Anbiah" writes:
I'm sorry, I'd thought that D50 is a lower-end as compared to
D70s. But, when I checked http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikond50/ I
came to know D50 is a better camera. Thanks for pointing it.

I wouldn't say it's better. It's newer and has some advantages
because of technology improvements. But it really is a lower-end
camera. If I were choosing between a D70s and D50 today, I'd think it
over carefully but would probably end up with a D70s. The wireless
flash control feature is worth the price difference all by itself,
since you'd need an additional iTTL Speedlight to do the same thing
with the D50.
Old April 18th 06, 12:38 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

Paul Rubin wrote:
"R. Rajesh Jeba Anbiah" writes:
I'm sorry, I'd thought that D50 is a lower-end as compared to
D70s. But, when I checked http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikond50/ I
came to know D50 is a better camera. Thanks for pointing it.

I wouldn't say it's better. It's newer and has some advantages
because of technology improvements. But it really is a lower-end
camera. If I were choosing between a D70s and D50 today, I'd think it
over carefully but would probably end up with a D70s. The wireless
flash control feature is worth the price difference all by itself,
since you'd need an additional iTTL Speedlight to do the same thing
with the D50.

Hmm, again I'm lost... anyway, thanks a lot for your open critic.
It's much useful in choosing the camera. Thanks again.

--
?php echo 'Just another PHP saint'; ?
Email: rrjanbiah-at-Y!com Blog: http://rajeshanbiah.blogspot.com/

Old April 18th 06, 12:41 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

Paul Rubin wrote:
"R. Rajesh Jeba Anbiah" writes:
I'm sorry, I'd thought that D50 is a lower-end as compared to
D70s. But, when I checked http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikond50/ I
came to know D50 is a better camera. Thanks for pointing it.

I wouldn't say it's better. It's newer and has some advantages
because of technology improvements. But it really is a lower-end
camera. If I were choosing between a D70s and D50 today, I'd think it
over carefully but would probably end up with a D70s.

snip

Sorry, BTW, what's your opinion about Canon 350d? (Just curious)

Old April 19th 06, 07:26 AM posted to rec.photo.digital

Bill wrote:
R. Rajesh Jeba Anbiah wrote:

Since this will be your first DSLR, I'll take a chance and say you
should get the D50 with the 18-70mm lense. It should do everything you
need for a relatively long time.

I'm thankful for the advice. I was really scratching my head and
your advice is really helpful.

All of the models you mentioned are capable of taking great photos. Just
remember to handle them in the store first, as that can be the deciding
factor.

Sure. Thanks.

Old April 19th 06, 12:23 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

R. Rajesh Jeba Anbiah wrote:
I want someone to help me to choose the camera.

For about 15-years I have had great passion towards photography, but
never used any camera as it is/was costlier for me to afford. I also
attended a very very basic photographic class (which is more of film
and focal length basics) 10 years ago. At that time some photographers
suggested me to buy Nikon SLR.
I was collecting money for sometime to buy Nikon SLR and came to know
that DSLR is taking the world--so again started collecting money. Now I
have some money to buy DSLR.

While searching I came to know Canon EOS 350D and Nikon D70s are
competitors and also good for the price. I have high difficulty in
choosing the camera as I just have enthusiasm and no knowledge on this.
I have also read many reviews including DPreview, but for me it's very
very difficult to decide.

1. What is the better among Canon EOS 350D and Nikon D70s? (I do not
have much of money to play with; so I want to buy the best for the
money. I hope, being a geek I can easily become pro once I get camera.)

2. Is it *really* true that Canon EOS 350D is cheaper than Nikon D70s?
(some sites say Canon kit costs $999 while Nikon kit costs $1,199)

The EOS-350D with the EF-s 17-85 IS lens is $1250, while the D70s with
the 18-70 lens is $1250. So for that $50 extra, you get 33% higher
resolution, and the image-stabilized lens. It's also lower noise, and
has a better selection of accessories.

I think that it's worth spending the extra money for the better Canon
lens. The kit lenses with the Nikon D50 and Canon 350xt are pretty good
optically, not not terrific.

It's kind of too bad that Canon has no EF-s 17-85 lens that is cheaper,
but not image-stabilized, but at the same time, Nikon would benefit from
an image-stabilized version of their 18-70 lens.

For more information, see "http://digitalslrinfo.com"
Old April 21st 06, 08:23 AM posted to rec.photo.digital

Bill wrote:
SMS wrote:

While searching I came to know Canon EOS 350D and Nikon D70s are
competitors and also good for the price. I have high difficulty in
choosing the camera as I just have enthusiasm and no knowledge on this.

The EOS-350D with the EF-s 17-85 IS lens is $1250, while the D70s with
the 18-70 lens is $1250. So for that $50 extra, you get 33% higher
resolution, and the image-stabilized lens. It's also lower noise, and
has a better selection of accessories.

I think that it's worth spending the extra money for the better Canon
lens.

Depends what you mean by "better".

Mechanically?
Optically?
IS feature?

While I think the Canon 17-85 IS has its benefits, it suffers from CA
and lack of sharpness and contrast. Mechanically they're about the same.

The great thing is the IS feature, but I don't think it's worth the
price unless you desperately need image stabilization.

Optically, the Nikon 18-70 is the better lense, with better sharpness
and contrast across the zoom and aperture ranges. The only real issue
with the Nikon is vignetting at 18mm when used wide-open. It's a fair
bit less expensive than the Canon too.

My Canon 17-40 L is better than either of them, but then it also costs
substantially more and should perform better.

If I was just starting out and deciding between Canon and Nikon systems
based on these two lenses, I'd go with Nikon without hesitation and save
some money.

It's kind of too bad that Canon has no EF-s 17-85 lens that is cheaper,
but not image-stabilized, but at the same time, Nikon would benefit from
an image-stabilized version of their 18-70 lens.

I agree.

Thanks to you and SMS for the critic on lenses. Incidentally,
it's sad that you're disabling the archive of your wonderful posts:-(