Newbie info on memorysticks

Old October 18th 04, 12:33 AM
Rtavi

Default Newbie info on memorysticks

I just bought a sony Cybershot DSC-W1 and need to buy a memory stick pro
at 256 MB or bigger.
I have looked at Sony and at Sandisk and Lexar which are cheaper Sony says
transfer rate of 160mbps Sandisk says 15 and 20 MBs . but is much cheaper.
Does the transfer rate make any difference when taking pictures I/E longer
between shots or is just when downloading to computer? Does it make any
difference whe recording MPEGS?
If it doesnt affect picture taking I can live with longer downloading for
the cheaper price.
Is there anything I need to look out for when buying memory sticks. This is
my first digital camera and after spending 300 bucks I dont wnt to screw up.
Thanks ahead of time for any help.

---

Old October 18th 04, 04:14 AM
Gymmy Bob

It depends on the hardware application. The data will only travel as fast as
the slowest item, your memory or the interface it is plugged in to. Hard to
tell until you see different. Spend a few more buck to get the faster ones.
I wouldn't be a captive audience with the Sony either (myself) and I have
herd many negatives about Sony battery life.

Old October 18th 04, 04:34 AM
BattMeals

Rtavi wrote:
I just bought a sony Cybershot DSC-W1 and need to buy a memory stick pro
at 256 MB or bigger.
I have looked at Sony and at Sandisk and Lexar which are cheaper Sony says
transfer rate of 160mbps Sandisk says 15 and 20 MBs . but is much cheaper.
Does the transfer rate make any difference when taking pictures I/E longer
between shots or is just when downloading to computer? Does it make any
difference whe recording MPEGS?
If it doesnt affect picture taking I can live with longer downloading for
the cheaper price.
Is there anything I need to look out for when buying memory sticks. This is
my first digital camera and after spending 300 bucks I dont wnt to screw up.
Thanks ahead of time for any help.

---

Mbps - mega bits per second
MBps - mega bytes per second

16 Mbps == 1MBps

160 MBps == 10MBps

If both manufacturers use the same testing procedures, the Sandisk is
faster.

Faster memory means that you can take more pictures in the same amount
of time. This is especially important in burst mode.

Old October 18th 04, 09:38 AM
Brian Rusten

"BattMeals" wrote in message
Mbps - mega bits per second
MBps - mega bytes per second

Right so far.

16 Mbps == 1MBps

160 MBps == 10MBps

Whoops. Shouldn't that be 1 Byte = 8 bits?

16Mbps = 2MBps

160Mbps = 20MBps

Old October 18th 04, 04:16 PM
Irwell

On Sun, 17 Oct 2004 18:33:52 -0500, "Rtavi" wrote:

I just bought a sony Cybershot DSC-W1 and need to buy a memory stick pro
at 256 MB or bigger.
I have looked at Sony and at Sandisk and Lexar which are cheaper Sony says
transfer rate of 160mbps Sandisk says 15 and 20 MBs . but is much cheaper.
Does the transfer rate make any difference when taking pictures I/E longer
between shots or is just when downloading to computer? Does it make any
difference whe recording MPEGS?
If it doesnt affect picture taking I can live with longer downloading for
the cheaper price.
Is there anything I need to look out for when buying memory sticks. This is
my first digital camera and after spending 300 bucks I dont wnt to screw up.
Thanks ahead of time for any help.

I have the Sony WSC -D1. I bought the Sandisk 512 Memory stick
from newegg.com. Has worked perfectly in all modes including
a short video scene. Hope this helps with your decision.
---

Old November 4th 04, 04:26 PM
Andre

Most cameras don't even come close to the memory card speeds.
Read my article about it http://www.windowseat.nl/index.php?p=25

André

"Rtavi" schreef in bericht