Warning about formatting CF cards in a computer

Old October 6th 04, 11:59 PM
Eugene O'Brien

Default Warning about formatting CF cards in a computer

Hi All,

I always re-format my CF cards after downloading the images and I used
to think that doing this in the computer did essentially the same thing
as in the camera. However I discovered this was not the case, during a
trip to Tofino, Vancouver Island.

I spent the weekend wondering why some of my cards were running so
slowly in my PowerShot G3. The playback was extremely slow, as was the
actual saving. I'd typically have to wait around 10 - 15 seconds after
taking a photo before the camera was ready to go again. Mind you it
didn't give any errors or anything and all the images turned out fine,
it was just much much slower.

Anyway I discovered when I got home that it was because I'd formatted
some of the cards on the PC rather than in the camera. I did a few tests
to confirm this, and I am now certain that it does make a huge
difference to the performance.

I don't know if this is the case for other cameras or not, but I just
wanted to give people a heads up. I'm sure others have discovered this also.

There must be something slightly different about the way the computer
does it, because I've also noticed that the reported available space is
also less on cards that have been formatted on the computer.

Anyway so in short, it's best to always re-format CF cards in the camera.

Eugene
Old October 7th 04, 12:04 AM
GT40

On Thu, 07 Oct 2004 08:59:56 +1000, Eugene O'Brien
wrote:

Hi All,

I always re-format my CF cards after downloading the images

Why would you want to do that, just delete the images
Old October 7th 04, 01:08 AM
~Darrell Larose~

wrote:

Hi All,

I always re-format my CF cards after downloading the images

Why would you want to do that, just delete the images

Formating is better. Deleting will leave data behind which can corrupt the
CF cards. I format ever time I put the card in my camera. Gee it takes a few
seconds.

Old October 7th 04, 01:28 AM
GT40

On Wed, 6 Oct 2004 20:08:02 -0400, "~Darrell Larose~"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

Hi All,

I always re-format my CF cards after downloading the images

Why would you want to do that, just delete the images

Formating is better. Deleting will leave data behind which can corrupt the
CF cards. I format ever time I put the card in my camera. Gee it takes a few
seconds.

Never heard of that, can you point me to the reference? I haven't
seen anything on the professional sites.
Old October 7th 04, 02:38 AM
Skip M

Look at the cards after you delete the files, they never return to the
available space that was there before. Formatting, which I do after I
download the files, restores that.

--
Skip Middleton
http://www.shadowcatcherimagery.com
"GT40" wrote in message
On Wed, 6 Oct 2004 20:08:02 -0400, "~Darrell Larose~"
wrote:

. ..

Old October 7th 04, 03:00 AM
Ken Weitzel

Skip M wrote:
Look at the cards after you delete the files, they never return to the
available space that was there before. Formatting, which I do after I
download the files, restores that.

Hi Skip

The difference being that when you reformat you
remove the two directory entries.

As soon as you put the card back in the camera and
use it they come back.

Ken

Old October 7th 04, 03:29 AM
GT40

Mine goes to the same both ways.

Old October 7th 04, 04:05 AM
Colin D

wrote:

Hi All,

I always re-format my CF cards after downloading the images

Why would you want to do that, just delete the images

Formating is better. Deleting will leave data behind which can corrupt the
CF cards. I format ever time I put the card in my camera. Gee it takes a few
seconds.

Formatting merely rewrites a clean File Allocation Table (FAT) onto the
card, which is why it takes only a few seconds. The data from the
erased shots is still on the card, and is not removed, just overwritten
with new data.

Colin.
Old October 7th 04, 04:29 AM
Mick Brown

When I purchased the D70, the salesman (who I know very well and knows his
stuff) told me several times, always reformat the card after downloading.

--
Michael Brown
Melbourne Australia

Old October 7th 04, 04:59 AM
~Darrell Larose~

I have had 5 corrupted CF cards come into the store in 10 days, none of
which had been formatted.