Newbie needs a flickr tutorial

Old June 2nd 09, 03:45 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
AKT

Default Newbie needs a flickr tutorial

I am computer savvy, even camera savvy, but not savvy with flickr or
such sharing sites. Recently I participated in a group tour. The
organization wants me to help people post and share their pictures at
flickr. So I need a plan and tutorial quickly.

The organization already has an account at flickr. Photos for previous
events are already posted there. Ideally, we want to open an area just
for our event, inside it a page for each participant where he can
upload his photos with captions. Then we could tell each participant to
navigate to their own page and upload the pictures. (I think it would
be better to organize by people rather than attractions but that's a
separate issue.)

So I need a quick tutorial on how to accomplish this. I went to flickr
site and saw words like collection and set. I couldn't figure out the
difference; does one fit inside the other or are they conceptually very
different things?

Thanks for all help.
Old June 2nd 09, 06:00 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Chris Malcolm[_2_]

AKT wrote:
I am computer savvy, even camera savvy, but not savvy with flickr or
such sharing sites. Recently I participated in a group tour. The
organization wants me to help people post and share their pictures at
flickr. So I need a plan and tutorial quickly.

The organization already has an account at flickr. Photos for previous
events are already posted there. Ideally, we want to open an area just
for our event, inside it a page for each participant where he can
upload his photos with captions.

To upload to flickr you must be a member of flickr -- which is easily
done and free at the basic facility level. You ought to check if
there's a daily limit on number uploaded on the free accounts. Perhaps
what you should do is buy a professional account for the group, and
then give everyone the login name and password. But there is then the
risk that any of them can do anything to any of the uploaded
photographs. Depends on how grown up your tour members are, and
whether any of them are somewhat clumsy -- "oops! I didn't mean to
cancel the whole account and delete everyone's pictures! I was just
trying to log off!"

Then we could tell each participant to
navigate to their own page and upload the pictures. (I think it would
be better to organize by people rather than attractions but that's a
separate issue.)

So I need a quick tutorial on how to accomplish this. I went to flickr
site and saw words like collection and set. I couldn't figure out the
difference; does one fit inside the other or are they conceptually very
different things?

Sets hold only photographs. Collections hold only sets or
collections. But both only belong to a specific Flickr member and
nobody else can upload to them.

The usual way of doing this kind of thing on Flickr is for the
individuals to each have their own personal Flickr account, where they
upload their own photographs. You create a public group for the whole
group, which you as administrator restrict in membership to people you
invite or permit. You invite or permit all the group members. Then
they and only they can submit photographs to that group, but nobody
can do anything nasty to anyone esle's photographs. You can choose
whether the photographs are visible only to group members, only to
group members plus extra non-Flickr people you name, or anyone on
Flickr, or anyone.

--
Chris Malcolm
Old June 2nd 09, 06:45 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
AKT

Chris Malcolm wrote:

: But there is then the risk that any of them can do anything to
: any of the uploaded photographs. Depends on how grown up your
: tour members are, and whether any of them are somewhat
: clumsy -- "oops! I didn't mean to cancel the whole account and
: delete everyone's pictures! I was just trying to log off!"

Yes this is a risk I discussed with our organization. Members are
highly educated and computer savvy, just not savvy about photo sharing.
So they just give out login and password, nothing bad has happened so
far, but it is a concern.

: The usual way of doing this kind of thing on Flickr is for the
: individuals to each have their own personal Flickr account, where they
: upload their own photographs. You create a public group for the whole
: group, which you as administrator restrict in membership to people you
: invite or permit. You invite or permit all the group members. Then
: they and only they can submit photographs to that group, but nobody
: can do anything nasty to anyone esle's photographs...

This is certainly better. Question:

If we create a public group, then do people need to have a separate
individual fickr account before they can join the group? Or, joining
the group creates an account for them within the group?

Each group member gets a "collection" inside the group and is limited
to uploading to or deleting from his own collection?

Finally, as this will mean starting from scratch, is flickr the best
place for such things or would some other free site be better?

Thanks.
Old June 2nd 09, 11:49 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Chris Malcolm[_2_]

AKT wrote:
Chris Malcolm wrote:

[...]

Only Flickr members can join a Flickr group. Joining means they can
add to the group photograph pool and contribute to group discussions.

Or, joining
the group creates an account for them within the group?

Each group member gets a "collection" inside the group and is limited
to uploading to or deleting from his own collection?

No. A group is an independent pool of members' photographs. Only those
who belong to the group can add to the group pool by submitting
photographs from their own personal pool, and can only remove their
own photographs from the group pool. The group also has one or more
administrators, who can do anything to pool photographs.

Finally, as this will mean starting from scratch, is flickr the best
place for such things or would some other free site be better?

Sorry, I simply don't know what mechanisms other photo sharing systems
offer.

--
Chris Malcolm

Lens tutorial or guidelines for a newbie? HankB Digital SLR Cameras 9 March 29th 07 05:00 PM
Tutorial on filters? jmc Digital Photography 6 February 14th 07 06:08 AM
Digital tutorial? Digital Photography 2 January 27th 07 09:23 PM
Nikon Tutorial Mickey Mouse Digital Photography 1 November 5th 05 09:50 AM
PhotoShop 7 tutorial Perissimo Digital Photography 2 April 13th 05 12:01 PM