Moderate this newsgroup?

Old January 26th 08, 09:09 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format
G.T.

Default Moderate this newsgroup?

scenic_man wrote:
Alan Browne wrote:
chasfs wrote:
The number of off-topic posts is rising, but we
can do something about it. We can turn this
into a moderated newsgroup - see

The number of on-topic posts is so small as to not require a
moderator. The off-T posts aren't that many that they can't be
instantly dismissed.

That's not the numbers I'm seeing.
Not counting the messages in *this* thread itself, I count:
158 camera/photo-related msgs (not necessarily medium format)
268 junk
That is, very nearly 2/3, or 63% of the posts are outright junk or spam.

I use Supernews and currently see 0 of your junk posts.

Greg
Old January 26th 08, 09:41 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format
Lobby Dosser

"G.T." wrote:

scenic_man wrote:
Alan Browne wrote:
chasfs wrote:
The number of off-topic posts is rising, but we
can do something about it. We can turn this
into a moderated newsgroup - see

The number of on-topic posts is so small as to not require a
moderator. The off-T posts aren't that many that they can't be
instantly dismissed.

That's not the numbers I'm seeing.
Not counting the messages in *this* thread itself, I count:
158 camera/photo-related msgs (not necessarily medium format)
268 junk
That is, very nearly 2/3, or 63% of the posts are outright junk or
spam.

I use Supernews and currently see 0 of your junk posts.

Greg

I'm looking at it through Verizon and see maybe one a month on average. I
suspect the OP is a googler.
Old January 27th 08, 07:11 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format
Alan Browne

scenic_man wrote:

There is clearly some good content here,
but the preponderence of junk/spam is enough to make me wonder
if it's worth my time.

Considering how seldom you post here...

-- e-meil: Remove FreeLunch.
Old January 29th 08, 07:30 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format
scenic_man[_2_]

Lobby Dosser wrote:
"G.T." wrote:
I'm looking at it through Verizon and see maybe one a month on average. I
suspect the OP is a googler.

No need to suspect that, when you can just ask. I'm using Verizon too.

It seems pretty clear that everyone is unhappy with the idea,
and everyone is unhappy that I brought it up again.

It's not like I raised the subject out of the blue.
I joined the group using an ordinary newsreader via Verizon,
like I've been reading newsgroups for a couple decades already.
(Well, not Verizon all that time, obviously,
but the same mechanics and the same netiquette.)

After wading through a lot of spam, I came across this topic,
and noticed that the objections to the idea
didn't match my observations, so I thought I'd add my $.02.

If you (that is, anyone reading this, not Lobby Dosser specifically)
believe that a discussion about how to conduct this newsgroup
is somehow off-topic, or you just don't agree with the idea,
please just stop responding to it and thereby perpetuating it.

And now back to our regularly-scheduled topics ... okay with everyone?