New Minolta 7D

Old January 8th 06, 12:47 AM posted to rec.photo.digital

Default New Minolta 7D

Color me happy!!! Picked up my new camera today at Ritz Camera in
Waterford CT. My wife had bought me the 5D for Christmas but I wanted
the 7D as I can deal better with buttons over menu selections.

Anyway, in reference to return problems that some have had there was
no hassle at all althought I did have to wait for several days for the
7D to be ordered in.

Charged the battery, installed the CF card, took the lens off the SLR
and took a few pictures of the Manger display that is my wife's pride
and joy.

Great results. I can't wait to get to the model engineering show in
York PA in two weeks. An example of the sort of things that I enjoy
shooting is at
http://neme-s.org/Greenfield_Village...age_Page_8.htm

The pictures on the NEMES web site were taken with my Olympus
C3000Zoom. I bought it used and have had a lot of enjoyment with it
but will be glad to leave its slowww focus behind.

The ability to use my existing Minolta lenses was a major factor in my
choice of this camera plus some thirty years of dependable service
from my previous Minolta cameras.

I have enjoyed reading the debates about this camera versus that
camera on this group and will continue to read and, hopefully
contribute, to the group.

Happy New Year to all!

Errol Groff

Instructor, Manufacturing Technology
H.H. Ellis Technical High School
613 Upper Maple Street
Danielson, CT 06239

New England Model Engineering Society
www.neme-s.org
Old January 8th 06, 02:40 AM posted to rec.photo.digital

"Errol Groff" wrote in message

[...]

I couldn't agree more.. The 7D is underrated in my books and now that I have
one too, bought three months ago, I am very happy with it. Takes great pics
and I also love the dials.

Old January 8th 06, 05:23 AM posted to rec.photo.digital

"Jasen" wrote in
:

[...]

Third that! I got one of the first 7D's to arrive in the US in November
2004 and have already taken some 15,000 photos without serious problems.
Even had it fall off a table 30" to a hard tile floor last month without
damage! Not an "experiment" I intend to repeat...

Bob ^,,^

Old January 8th 06, 02:40 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

Bob Harrington wrote:
"Jasen" wrote in
:

"Errol Groff" wrote in message
. ..

[...]

Okay, I'll fourth it. Being a KM person for quite a few years, I'm
particularly pleased with the control layout. Form, fit, function - the
right tool for the right job.

--
jer
email reply - I am not a 'ten'
Old January 8th 06, 02:58 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

"Jer" wrote in message
Bob Harrington wrote:
"Jasen" wrote in
:
[...]

I'm quite interested in the 7D, especially now that the price is right, but
I've been a bit alarmed by reading the relevant dpreview forum.

There seems to be a consistent issue with flash exposure and front & back
focus. Also, a few reports of the anti-shake' mechanism failing.

I realise that every camera has problems - but the volume of complaints
about the 7D has made a bit wary. What's your own experience?

Thanks

Old January 8th 06, 04:00 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

Iplex Systems wrote:

I'm quite interested in the 7D, especially now that the price is right, but
I've been a bit alarmed by reading the relevant dpreview forum.

There seems to be a consistent issue with flash exposure and front & back
focus. Also, a few reports of the anti-shake' mechanism failing.

I have issues with the HS 3600 flash in the ADI mode - but as I am
using 3rd party lens I kind of expected it (although the Tamron
28-75 should be a D-type). TTL metering works just fine.

Focusing seems right, although I did not made explicit tests.
All of my out-of-focus shots could be attributed to the
depth of field issues (the 200 mm equivalent at f2.8
is really something different with the KM Dynax 7D and on the
Dimage 7Hi - look at the numbers before you complain )
or motion blur (forgetting to turn the AS on after working
from tripod or trying to push it too much).

Antishake works fine for me, hand-held shots with 200 mm
(300 mm eq) at 1/60 were easily possible (and I do not have
exceptionally steady hand - the 1/focus lenght holds for me).

Regards
--
Stano
Old January 8th 06, 09:06 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

"Iplex Systems" wrote in message

"Jer" wrote in message
Bob Harrington wrote:
"Jasen" wrote in
:
"Errol Groff" wrote in message
m...

[...]

No problem to date apart from anything being my own fault. Antishake is
brilliant. Hand held 400mm with amazing results. THAT'S 600MM in equivalent
terms for a 35mm film camera. Of course it wasn't perfect, but if you didn't
have a tripod and wanted to get that shot, no problem! Noise is ok up to
iso800 and then you only just notice it in shadows, but something like Neat
Image fixes that.
AFAIK, problems occurring have been minimal, and of course if you look for
cases on the web who have problems, you'll find them. You just don't see the
thousands of happy customers complaining, now do you?? :-)
Buy and enjoy.
Jasen

Old January 9th 06, 03:16 AM posted to rec.photo.digital

Iplex Systems wrote:
"Jer" wrote in message

Bob Harrington wrote:

"Jasen" wrote in
:

[...]

I don't have much experience with using the 7D and a strobe because most
of my subjects are too distant for a strobe. But, if if they weren't, a
strobe would tend to attract too much undesirable attention. I
particularly like using the 7D w/AS in low light sans a strobe - it's
one of the main reasons I bought one. And yes, I also have an old
tripod that proves handy. I've been giving more thought to changing my
nasty habit of always capturing images that can't be made public.
Sigh... some day.

--
jer
email reply - I am not a 'ten'